The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 23, 2015, 05:14 PM   #51
James K
Member In Memoriam

"Can you tell me who teaches that class?"

I have had a number of people tell me they took classes just like that, and you only need to read the posts on this thread to see that many people believe firmly in the "proper stance", the "preferred stance", and of "standing" properly. Might I somewhat timidly suggest that when being fired on, standing erect facing the opponent might not be a good idea. But then I am not an expert.

Jim
Old May 23, 2015, 06:58 PM   #52
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by James K
I have had a number of people tell me they took classes just like that, and you only need to read the posts on this thread to see that many people believe firmly in the "proper stance", the "preferred stance", and of "standing" properly....
Some folks have mentioned things about some basic principles and balance, but no one has said here anything remotely like:
Quote:
...I still don't understand the thinking that I have to carry a large protractor and make sure my feet are at a perfect 45 degree angle before I can return fire or even draw my gun. It seems to me that such "advanced" skills do not enhance the basics, they destroy the basics. Classes that concentrate on the tiny details (your feet must be at 45°, not 44° or 46°)....
Quote:
....Might I somewhat timidly suggest that when being fired on, standing erect facing the opponent might not be a good idea....
I don't recall anyone here saying anything different.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old May 23, 2015, 09:30 PM   #53
pax

Fascinating.

There's apparently some kind of glitch in the computer, that makes James' screen say something that nobody else typed.

Weird.

pax