The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old December 24, 2018, 07:59 PM   #26
Grant.

Quote:
...it should be a wallhanger heirloom...
She will be. She's had a lot of history. The date still doesn't match up as my great-grandfather bought it for my grandfather who was 13 when the war ended. Then my grandfather gave it to my dad, and he decided to re-stock it and make it look pretty. Gorgeous gun, I think.

I'm surely not going to neuter the thing! There's only two people who ever have access to it so it's no big deal. I'll probably end up restoring it as best as possible and putting her away. Definitely not gonna sell, no matter how much she's worth. I always felt attracted to her when I was a wee lad. Shame I probably can't shoot her anymore. While I tested her chamber with some live rounds (Yeah, yeah, criticize me. I was safe.) I found that the extractor ripped the rims of cases up. Even nickel plated ones!

One more picture, a full one under the front scope mount. Too lazy to transfer it so I'll post it later. It is Christmas Eve after all!

I went through and cleaned as much as I could, I need to get the rust out of the bore. Still need to take some rust remover to it. Merry Christmas

Last edited by Grant.; December 24, 2018 at 08:26 PM.
Old December 25, 2018, 10:36 AM   #27
RC20

Grant: Getting time lines is a tough thing as most peoples memories are not the best. Nothing against the people involved, its pretty common.

My brothers and I share a common and active outdoors history. Often they are wrong on what happened and who. I tend to be right if I remember it, but in some cases, I have no memory of the event (my mom can often clear up stuff as she has good recorded type brain.

My take on this issues is there are a great many risks in this world, most are in whats known in the control world as "noise"

You made a decision with suspicion and my take is:

One of the hugest ones are hospitals. They kill an incredible number of patients who otherwise with the correct protocols and treatment (washing your hands!) would have been fine.

Driving to the shooting range and an accident has a risk factor, not something I have the math to quantify but certainly as much or more than guns going boom.

My SGD gun has a heat treated era issue bolt (you can ID them by the handle angle). I have no issue shooting it.

Marines kept their risky low SN RIA 1903s up to Guadalcanal (where they realized the M1 was pretty cool ) and acquired as many from the Army as they could (some people even claim the term Liberated is not to harsh!)

While I was at the range one day a guy blew up a MODERN Model 70. Damned if I know what you could do to accomplish that but it had all the hallmarks of a heat treated receiver failing (or a recovered 1903A3 decommissioned receiver that I saw pictures of, clearly a heat stress crack)

People build rifles from those drill riffle receivers and are ok with it.

All my military 1903 or 1917s have unsupported case heads and most just the single gas release hole - there is a risk there, I mitigate it as best I can.

About 50% of the people at the range are poor gun handlers (ignorant) and maybe 25% are plain incompetent, dangerous and or have an attitude and combinations of the 3.

A good question here is why Nat Ord started out with higher SN than they used latter?
Old December 25, 2018, 02:01 PM   #28
Grant.

Yeah it's awful murky... I don't think there's any way to really find out and that's alright!

I'm lucky enough to be one of the few people who has no fear. Maybe it's just my testosterone! So no, I'm not worried at all about shooting it. The way the rifle is built, I'm more worried about the GUN blowing up than the gun blowing me up! I'd hate to shoot a rifle that I didn't need to shoot and see it blow up.

It's funny though, I have the largest outdoor range in the country up the street, as well as Scottsdale Gun Club, which is no slouch among the best indoor ranges. So I'm not really scared about the drive

Merry Christmas!

Last edited by Grant.; December 25, 2018 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Adding Merry Christmas at the end.
Old December 25, 2018, 06:30 PM   #29
RC20

The odd ones I have never resolved fully. I had a Remington 1903A3 receiver sportorized that had a Smith Corona 6 grove barrel (late 1943 as I recall) l that was put together in Australia in WWII at a repair station (and marked as such)

Receiver was new with no wear marks at all - it would seem an assembly of that and a spare barrel rather than repalcment for a shot out one (they did not shoot them that much and few saw combat, some yest but not lots)

And then got back to US. Smacks of someone with time on their hands, parts and build themselves a rifle and got it back to the US.

Other possibles on it of course, it was interesting.

Nothing wrong with caution, good to make as informed a decision as possible.

Merry Christmas as well.
Old December 27, 2018, 01:38 AM   #30
Grant.

Wow, that's a cool rifle. It'd be worth having just for the odd history alone, let alone the fact that these 1903s are really awesome rifles!

Thank you so much for all the help, couldn't have figured it out without you. I think the mystery behind the rifle keeps it intriguing and interesting so I'm gonna leave it at, "partially solved mystery with a lot of data that doesn't add up" category.

And as for shooting her, I'm not going to do it. No reason to. She deserves a nice coat of oil and some rest. She's done enough. Consider her officially retired as of Christmas
Old December 28, 2018, 02:40 AM   #31
10-96

Grant, for wall hanging- I might humbly consider a good coat of wax? Either Johnson's Paste Wax, or... well dang, there's another one, kinda geared towards museums, heirlooms, ect- but I forget the name. It's got a kind of cool antiqey looking can.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old December 28, 2018, 12:41 PM   #32
Grant.

I'll gladly coat her with wax! I take really good care of all my stuff and will continue to wax, oil and clean her for the rest of my days. She was a hard worker, thank you for the advice
Old December 31, 2018, 08:20 AM   #33
highpower3006

Quote:
Grant, for wall hanging- I might humbly consider a good coat of wax? Either Johnson's Paste Wax, or... well dang, there's another one, kinda geared towards museums, heirlooms, ect- but I forget the name. It's got a kind of cool antiqey (antique) looking can.
Renaissance Wax

Tags
1903 , curio and relic , surplus