The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 21, 2015, 09:11 PM   #1
Boogershooter

What firearm do you use on your trap line?

Not sure how many trappers we have on here but for the ones who are let's here your favorites and even your father's or grandfather's favorites.
Old December 21, 2015, 09:59 PM   #2
hartcreek

I picked up a Winchester Model 90 break down version from a guy that used to trap.
Old December 21, 2015, 10:07 PM   #3
Boogershooter

Nice, I use my grandfather's old high standard sentinel. I also recently bought a chiappa double badger for hunting my squirrel dog and running my traps. It's ugly but it's a hoot to shoot.
Old December 22, 2015, 03:06 AM   #4
bamaranger

old timer

Can't advise on a firearm, but one old timer I knew had a length of chair leg with a large industrial grade nut on the end.....don't know what he did when he trapped a skunk!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old December 22, 2015, 04:45 AM   #5
Gunplummer

I used to carry an old High Standard .22 Revolver in my pack and a short club. During deer season I carried an old H&R single shot and slugs. If I caught a rat, I popped the barrel off and used it for a club.
Old December 22, 2015, 06:47 AM   #6
Mobuck

Ruger 5.5" 22/45 stainless.
Remington C-Bee ammo
Old December 22, 2015, 09:56 AM   #7
Hunter Customs

I have not run a trap line since I was a kid (over 50 years ago).
Back then I used an old 22 single shot rifle that belonged to my dad, ammo I used was 22 shorts.
Now that I think about it I can't remember dad ever buying anything but 22 shorts for that old rifle.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
Old December 22, 2015, 09:58 PM   #8
Mobuck

"but one old timer I knew had a length of chair leg with a large industrial grade nut on the end"

A similar "tool" was called a "tap stick" around here back in the Depression and WW2 era. Walk the RR tracks until you found a rail connector nut and then whittle a hickory or hedge(osage orange) stick about 15-20" long to fit the threads. This became a formidable weapon for dispatching trapped animals and even worked OK as a throwing stick for rabbits.
I carry a quasi-tap stick on my UTV right behind the cab within easy reach as I step off. Mine doesn't use an actual RR nut, it has a natural knob on the business end to give it some added striking effect but fails to give the balance for throwing(I don't often feel the need to kill rabbits with a throwing stick anyway). Mine has dispatched dozens of smaller coons over the last 3 years but I use the 22 for the bigger, older coons.
Old December 23, 2015, 12:48 AM   #9
Sure Shot Mc Gee

When I did trap. I carried a little Ruger model Bear Cat 22. Until its main spring broke 3 yrs from its date of purchase. Ruger repair said they no longer stocked its replacement springs as the pistol had been discontinued. Sooo_That was the last time I ever purchased a Ruger product period.
Old December 27, 2015, 06:47 PM   #10
Edge

Back when I trapped semi seriously, I carried a beretta minx .22 short in coveralls pocket. I also often had a ruger mk 2 target in a shoulder holster and, if riding 4 wheeler trapping foxes or coyotes, a ruger m77v .22-250 with 6.5 x 20 Leupold scope in a good case and a predator call or two.