The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 17, 2013, 01:07 AM   #1
kilotanker22

pulled the trigger...

Well a i have heard a lot lately about the quality from remington. Regadless i have. Only ever seenone flaw from them personally. Tonight at walmart i saw a remmy adl for 417 with a cheap bushnell scope. Fit and finish is perfect and does the bottom metal for a hingded floorplate really cost 160 dollars? Either way they had one in 30-06 so i pulled the trigger so to speak.

What is yall's take one the adl? Any first hand experience?
Old January 17, 2013, 10:38 AM   #2
AllenJ

My son got the same deal on a 7mm Remington Mag a little over a year ago and he is pleased with his. It'll shoot MOA with handloads and because it's a 700 upgrading different parts is easy due to availability. He has already replaced the stock and put a magazine system on it, and he did it for way less than $160.
Old January 17, 2013, 11:01 AM   #3
kilotanker22

Thats good news
Old January 17, 2013, 12:27 PM   #4
allaroundhunter

Kilo, a floorplate can be had for about than $90.

I have a Remington 700 SPS Varmint in .308 and it is quite a shooter. I don't think you will regret your purchase, IMO, much ado is being made about very little. It is still a fine gun.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/370...aluminum-black
Old January 17, 2013, 04:25 PM   #5
SgtLumpy

Quote:
He has already replaced the stock and put a magazine system on it, and he did it for way less than $160.
Really? Could you detail some of the parts? I find that absurdly low compared to what I've been seeing for magazine systems and/or stocks.

The magazines alone are nearly $100 each.

Sgt Lumpy - n0eq
Old January 17, 2013, 04:34 PM   #6
Doyle

My hunting buddy just picked one up in 7mm mag this week. Took all of 6 shots to get it sighted in with a 1/2" group using factory Winchester Supreme 165s.
Old January 17, 2013, 06:25 PM   #7
AllenJ

Quote:
Really? Could you detail some of the parts? I find that absurdly low compared to what I've been seeing for magazine systems and/or stocks.

The magazines alone are nearly $100 each.

He got a Remington BDL composite stock and the magazine floor plate from a guy who had replaced those items on his 700. The items had been sitting at the persons house for a while and he gave them to my son, free. My son got his magazines from Remington and paid just over $50 each, including shipping. That was my point about the availability of parts, I did not mean they had to be new