The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old January 7, 2013, 04:29 PM   #1
Wyoredman

Lyman Moly coating cast bullets

Howdy all you boolit makers!

I am starting to get into casting and have a question that keeps popping into my head.

I like to shoot the molly coated bullets from Bear Creek Supply when I can find them, and it got me to thinking about using up this leftover Lyman Moly coating I bought back in my moly rifle bullet days.

Would coating home cast wheel weight bullets with Lymans Moly work in place of boolit lube?

Thanks.
Old January 7, 2013, 09:08 PM   #2
10 Spot Terminator

If you are so inclined why not run some moly laced lube ? Both Lyman and Jakes make one for sure and maybe some others. I cant forsee moly bonding all that well to lead unless it was very hard and you maybe tumble lubed them with some copper BBs or something to peen it into the lead somewhat. Pretty sure even at that it would shed in the bore rather quickly and leave the balance of the bore unprotected. There may still be products available that let you apply a wet moly film to the bore prior to shooting that could help some but you have to strip your bore dead nutz clean before you apply it . You could as well make your own lube with a higher moly content. Have seen recipies listed before on other bullet casting forums. Overall it sounds like a Major Payne to get it to work and best done with a lapped and polished bore for ease of maintaining your bore. Food for thought.
Old January 8, 2013, 10:21 AM   #3
Wyoredman

Thanks 10 Spot. THe only reason the thought came to mind is because I have a half container of Moly left over from the 90's when I was messing around with moly coating jacketed rifle bullets. I gave up on moly coating rifle bullets when I got a chrony and found how much my velocity droped.

Anyway, It was just a thought, if I could use up this old moly and skip the lubing step with some .358' 158 gr LSWC.

Again, thanks for the insight.
Old January 8, 2013, 03:55 PM   #4
m&p45acp10+1

Lyman makes a stick lube with molly in it. I am unsure of how well it works, as I do not use a lube/sizer. I tumble lube with liquid allox.