The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 11, 2012, 09:05 PM   #1
mpd61

M1 Springfield at LGS vs. CMP "special"

Okay I got the $$$ for the CMP RM1SASSP Service Grade special at $950.
Problem is I walked into the local shop today and picked up a clean, non-import SA serial #684,xxx, with an SA 9/66 dated rebarrel. The stock is uniform original walnut. He's asking $875, but usually gives a little off for cash.
Looks like a legit example. I'd save time and shipping over the CMP Garand, but would I be making a mistake?
Old October 11, 2012, 10:42 PM   #2
kraigwy

One thing that counts, and matters to me is ALL guns sold by the CMP are gone over by armors before they are put up for sale.

In addition to that, if something sneaks by, the CMP Service is second to none, they will make good.

In most places, the sales tax is higher then the CMP's shipping charge.
An example the sales tax in Wyoming is 5%, That would put add $45 to the $900 rifle. About $20 more then the CMP Shipping.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old October 11, 2012, 10:54 PM   #3
bacardisteve

Thats a fairly low serial number. Its getting hard to find any that are not post war built. If it had a 1942 dated barrell in decent shape I would say grab it as a collector piece but if you want a shooter go with cmp.
Old October 12, 2012, 09:55 AM   #4
Fishbed77

If you want the serial number, and have access to some gauges to check out barrel wear, go for it.

Personally, I would go with a CMP rifle, and add a sticky note requesting a WWII serial number, along with a small donation to the CMP on your order form. That little trick worked for me!
Old October 12, 2012, 02:35 PM   #5
dwwhite

Another thing about the CMP is that their profits support youth shooting programs.

Having burned through tens of thousands of CMP provided .22 rounds in my youth through 4-H shooting programs, I felt like I had a moral obligation to buy a Garand from them. At least, that was the excuse I gave my wife.
Old October 12, 2012, 03:41 PM   #6
NWPilgrim

Is that really a 600,000 serial number or 6,000,000?

One thing to consider is that I believe the Service Grade Special includes a NEW barrel and perhaps new wood. The ones I saw at Camp Perry were exquisite. Normally I would prefer buying something I could personally inspect. But I will guarantee that the Service Grade Specials are fantastic.

What is the wear on the receiver areas? The barrel and other parts can be replaced but the receiver is the heart of the rifle. Are edges rounded or banged up? Or clean and crisp? The op rod is one of the less available parts in very good condition. Is the local one excellent on the camming edges and receiver slot? Is it a sharp 90 degree op rod cut or the radiused cut?
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old October 13, 2012, 08:22 PM   #7
mpd61

No typo, it is a 684,xxx serial number Springfield receiver and barrel all uniform in color and sharp marking. The wood is dark walnut but forgot to notice a cartouche. The only "different" looking part is the en bloc ejector as it looks blued, almost black. There are definately no import marks and everything looks to be where it should be IAW Garand Collectors Association notes about SA barrel markings etc....
Probably talking about $200 difference "out the door" for this, opposed to the CMP Gun. That extra $200 is insurance I suppose.
Old October 14, 2012, 06:11 AM   #8
madcratebuilder

I'd flip a coin...then buy both.
Old October 17, 2012, 07:45 AM   #9
mpd61

Okay,
No help I'll buy an M1A instead LOL!!!!!!
Old October 17, 2012, 09:31 PM   #10
JR_Roosa

I have a CMP Special and it's really nice. Note that the parts are re-parked and may be pretty worn but look new. Mine shoots well and I haven't had a problem and I'm coming up on 3000 rnds. I had a 5 shot group at 200yds during a recent load workup come in at 3 1/8 inches (1.5 MOA), and I'm shooting slowfire prone scores in the mid 80s to low 90s at 600yds with a hooded match sight and NM front post. I swap it out for the GI sights for Garand matches.

I redid the new CMP stock with some fine sandpaper, steel wool, and linseed oil and it draws attention on the firing line at every match.

Quote:
buy an M1A instead LOL!!!!!!
I'm tempted too, but my next project gun will be getting a CMP service grade and having it built into a bedded national match gun with a heavy Krieger barrel. I really enjoy shooting highpower with the Garand. After I get that one up and running, then I think a NM M1a custom build off an LRB reciever in a nice McMillan marbled stock with a Nightforce on top will be the next project.

-J.
Old October 18, 2012, 12:27 AM   #11
Tim R

I had a service grade built into a 308 NM M1. The plummer kept the barrel and stock as part of the deal. I went with a heavy stock and barrel. The rifle shot well, but it was expensive to feed even with reloads. I'm in the need of a rebarrel but holding off right now as my tuned AR shoots circles around the old M1 for less money in ammo.

Also be aware if the plummer is any good, you will have a long period of your rifle being away. My M1 was gone for 16 months. But it is a work of art!
Old October 18, 2012, 09:49 AM   #12
Technosavant

Quote:
I redid the new CMP stock with some fine sandpaper, steel wool, and linseed oil and it draws attention on the firing line at every match.
Pics needed.

I'm currently getting things together to put in an order to CMP for one of their special grade Garands... from what I've read they're great rifles and I have a Garand shaped void in my safe.
Old October 20, 2012, 07:26 AM   #13
az_imuth

Before you purchase an M1 outside of CMP, I would strongly advise you to pull the receiver from the stock and jot down the drawing number and serial number for comparison. This is the easiest way to tell if the receiver has been welded together from two different halves. Just post the info over at the CMP Garand forum and those folks will let you know if it's legit. Chances are that it's okay, but there are a lot of welded M1 receivers floating around out there and once you lay down your cash you're usually stuck with a very expensive paperweight.

To see just how skilled some of these welders are, take a look at this thread...
http://www.jouster.com/forums/showth...eiver-Question
Old October 20, 2012, 07:29 AM   #14
Bigbuckeye

+1000

Unless you know how to tell if it is a reweld, get the CMP.
Old October 21, 2012, 12:17 PM   #15
JR_Roosa

Quote:
Pics needed.
Enjoy.

Untitled by jr_roosa, on Flickr

Untitled by jr_roosa, on Flickr
Old October 21, 2012, 02:03 PM   #16
Amsdorf

Buy from the CMP, that price is not worth the risk, particularly since it is more than a decent CMP rifle.
Old October 21, 2012, 02:15 PM   #17
Technosavant

JR, that's one fine looking rifle.
Old October 21, 2012, 05:36 PM   #18
JR_Roosa

Quote:
JR, that's one fine looking rifle.
Thanks. The special grade stocks are nice but they have a coarse finish. I took a very fine sanding sponge and block and smoothed it out. Then increasingly fine grades of steel wool. Then lots of coats of Tried and True brand boiled linseed oil (no hardeners, food utensil grade BLO) in super thin coats with hand buffing with a cloth before the next coat. Once a year or so I hit it with another coat. It's been abou two years since the last coat and still looks pretty good I think.

Would have shot an expert score with it at the Highpower match yesterday but misadjusted my windage the wrong way for a sitting rapid string and got a nice group in the 7 and 8 ring.

J.
Old October 21, 2012, 07:48 PM   #19
Technosavant

Quote:
The special grade stocks are nice but they have a coarse finish. I took a very fine sanding sponge and block and smoothed it out. Then increasingly fine grades of steel wool. Then lots of coats of Tried and True brand boiled linseed oil (no hardeners, food utensil grade BLO) in super thin coats with hand buffing with a cloth before the next coat. Once a year or so I hit it with another coat. It's been abou two years since the last coat and still looks pretty good I think.
Thanks for the heads-up. I sent off my order a couple days ago. I'll plan on doing a little bit of smoothing out and finishing. I'm not much of a woodworker so I don't know if I can make mine look as pretty as yours, but I'll have to see what I can do.
Old October 21, 2012, 08:05 PM   #20
JR_Roosa

Quote:
I'm not much of a woodworker
Neither am I! Just go gentle and be careful you don't put anything on the stock that makes it a sticky mess. You could also just leave it alone, and it will wear in over the next few years, and you can freshen it up with a little linseed oil when it looks dry. A little bit goes a long way though, so be careful. It turns into goo if you let it puddle up or put it on too heavy.

Also, you might want to hold off taking all the furniture off until you don't plan on shooting it for a while. It takes a few weeks to do the stock right. Also getting the upper handguard on and off is not easy without the right tool (I don't have that tool) and I was pretty sure I was going to crack it or scratch something up really badly putting it back on.

-J.
Old October 21, 2012, 08:26 PM   #21
militant

I have a CAI M1 that shoots just as well as my friends Sprigfeild.
Old October 23, 2012, 08:21 PM   #22
mpd61

OMG!
Now the LGS is having a Veterans Day (month) sale. 10% off of anything over $200 in store. that means the $875 is down to $787.50
Old October 27, 2012, 07:18 PM   #23
mpd61

Okay so the serial number @ 684,xxx is a 1942 receiver. Just haven't been able to get a look at the drawing number on the front leg. The Bolt is late WWII, Drawing #D28287-19SA, heat lot# A-9, so that's OK. If that darn drawing number on the front leg is D28291-17 then it's no reweld...The stock has no cartouche present but the rifle is in excellent shape....grrrrr