The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 19, 2011, 09:04 PM   #1
samefly

Over Glasses Eye Protection?

I'm looking for recommendations for over glasses eye protection. Any recommendations are much appreciated. I currently have plastic frame glasses. Are there any that will fit those or do I need to go back to wire frames?
Old December 19, 2011, 09:07 PM   #2
pax

Lots.

But before you do that, give some serious consideration to getting Rx lenses in safety frames. Not as expensive as you might think, esp from cheapie places like WalMart. And much, much nicer because you don't get fogging or double vision or just the annoyance of wearing two frames at once.

pax
Old December 20, 2011, 02:11 AM   #3
samefly

I would have never known walmart would sell those. I definitely did think they would be expensive but now I'll have to check it out. Thanks.
Old December 20, 2011, 11:17 AM   #4
BarryLee

Quote:
But before you do that, give some serious consideration to getting Rx lenses in safety frames
Yes, check this out and see what your options might be they will be more comfortable and perform better. Focus on fit and performance and skip all the fancy frames.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old December 22, 2011, 01:58 AM   #5
samefly

Update:

Went to walmart today. got my eyes examined and ordered a new pair of safety glasses (great price). I got the ones that bend, twist, and take more of a beating. Thanks again for the recommendation
Old December 22, 2011, 04:43 AM   #6
Dr. Strangelove

Yep, get all my glasses and contacts from Wal-mart.

I do believe in an eye exam once a year (family history of glaucoma) and Wal-Mart does it as well as anyone for much less.
Old December 23, 2011, 10:45 AM   #7
barnetmill

I use Walmarts and one in particular because of staff, especially the Optometrist is very good. I have gotten examinations and prescriptions from other local walmarts that were not as good.
Old December 23, 2011, 10:57 AM   #8
pax

samefly,

Excellent! I'm glad it worked out.

pax
Old December 23, 2011, 12:13 PM   #9
Mikechandler

Well, it makes me feel foolish for spending money on the Decot Hy-Wyd sport glasses, but they did a custom job. They made the glasses with my focal point perfect for my pistol's front sight on the strong eye, and used my distance prescription for my other. They're also tinted right for the range.

All that being said - walmart sure sounds cheaper to me!
Old December 23, 2011, 12:41 PM   #10
drail

I purchased prescription glasses from Walmart one time. Never again. They will lie to you. They will not offer a refund if they screw them up.