The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 4, 2011, 11:29 PM   #1
TripHlx

Equipment/Component Exposure

Hi guys! I have a quick (and probably repetitive) question. I'm currently building a reloading bench, buying all of my equipment for reloading/casting, and hopefully will be set up soon. My question is about the area I'm setting up in. I'm putting everything in a small (approx 10X10) outdoor storage building I built about two years ago that never got used for anything. The building is built solid as a rock, has two gas-filled locking windows, a steel door and solid locks. I think I'm ok to go on security. The thing I'm mostly worried about is exposure of gear and components to temp/humidity variables. The building is fully insulated, top bottom and walls. So far is also waterproof, despite some hellacious storms in the last two years. I live in SC, about an hour south of the NC/SC border. Should I be worried about how the weather and whatnot will affect my gear, or do you think I'm ok as it is? If not, what steps do you suggest I take to keep everything in top shape and extend component shelf life? Thanks again guys!
Old November 4, 2011, 11:50 PM   #2
Sevens

I am not sure what effect the environment will have on components. But one easy "fix" would be two large rubbermaid-type totes. Put your powder in one, primers in another and leave them in the house... take 'em out when it's time to work at the load bench.
Old November 5, 2011, 12:22 AM   #3
Jim243

First concern would be the concrete pad that the building stands on. Rather than have the floor sweat duing the summer and winter months I would seal the floor. They have an appoxy that is used for garage floors that looks nice and does a good job of sealing the concrete.

Second would be air-conditioning during the summer. Moisture will be your biggest problem so a dehumidifer of proper size would be a benefit as well. Next would be lightiing, put some good floresents overhead to give you plenty of light.

Good luck on your project.
Jim

Last edited by Jim243; November 5, 2011 at 12:33 AM.
Old November 5, 2011, 12:40 AM   #4
Indi

LOL.... I asked a similar question. Just wasent as well stated. Good job.
Old November 5, 2011, 12:57 AM   #5
TripHlx

Thanks for the replies so far guys! I really appreciate it. For your knowledge, the building isn't actually on a concrete pad, its all treated lumber, reinforced (could easily park a multi-ton vehicle on it without any damage), and is sitting atop a moisture barrier. This was done so that when I eventually move from this duplex apartment, I can simply rent a truck and haul it away to my new home. I'm planning on using a window unit for a/c during the summer, and a flameless space heater with no exposed hot surfaces during the winter. I had considered a de-humidifier as well, after all, they're dirt cheap. Any other advice and concerns is welcome! Thanks again guys!
Old November 5, 2011, 02:51 AM   #6
noylj

You will want AC and heat for year-round use.
I like to keep the messy jobs (casting, cleaning cases and guns, etc.) in the garage or out building.
I like to do the clean jobs (almost all reloading), in the house.
As for a bench, they are never long enough.
As for cabinets, you never have enough storage.
Most presses and dies can rust pretty fast, particularly in hot/humid areas. Dies I keep in drawers with VCI paper.
If you mount the press(es) with wing nuts, you can remove the press(es) and store them in a safe with a heater/light to prevent rust.
Do not store powder or primers in a safe.