The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 11, 2011, 10:55 PM   #1
WookieRookie

Tumbler tips/tricks/hints

Hi guys, started using a tumbler today. Been using dawn/water to clean cases. Anyone have any tips? I'm using crushed walnut media from the pet store. Cheap but dusty. Best way to cut the dust? Also trying to find an easy way to separate the cases from the media. Loading 9mm. Thanks Gus!
Old May 11, 2011, 11:16 PM   #2
Crankylove

Cut up a dryer sheet (about 2" pieces) and toss it in to help cut down on dust from the media. I usually change the pieces out after 8-10 tumblings.

If you add any type of polish or cleaning agent, let the tumbler run while you add it to avoid clumping.

If running different cases at the same time (i.e. .41 Mag and .38 Special), throw the bigger cases in first and let the tumbler run a couple minutes to fill those cases with media before adding smaller cases, helps keep them from finding their way inside the larger cases and locking together.

Don't overload it. Too much brass will simply be a waste of time, as it can't move around properly within the media, and won't get cleaned/polished.
Old May 12, 2011, 01:09 AM   #3
FrankenMauser

#1 - To get a lot of the initial dust out, use new (unused) dryer sheets cut into strips or squares. (It helps 'condition' the media and tumbler, to reduce static, while getting the dust out.)

#2 - Once you don't appear to have much dust in the media, go to used dryer sheets (strips, squares, whatever you want), and change them for every tumbler load.

#3 - Use an additive. I use Flitz (personal preference, and it was cheap).

Getting the initial dust out can be a pain, but keeping the dust levels down is pretty easy. I use the previously mentioned methods to do so. The additive binds a little bit of the dust to the media. The dryer sheets serve as a "collection point", to allow you to remove excess dust from the tumbler.

Don't go overboard with an additive, though. Just because there is dust, doesn't mean you need to add more media additive. Get it out with dryer sheets. (some people use paper towels with mineral spirits)
Old May 12, 2011, 07:37 AM   #4
RWNielsen

Get an old towel. Poke a hole in the center and drape it over your tumbler when it's running. Keeps the dust down and helps quiet it down a bit
Old May 12, 2011, 08:08 AM   #5
Don P

Quote:
Get an old towel. Poke a hole in the center and drape it over your tumbler when it's running. Keeps the dust down and helps quiet it down a bit
I would advise against doing the above. Tumbler should have a lid and the lid should be used and not tossed to the side.
By draping a towel over the tumbler you are making the tumbler work that much harder. Tumblers should be emptied out doors for health reasons ( dust containing lead and gun powder residues ).
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old May 12, 2011, 10:17 AM   #6
chiefr

Concur with using the dryer sheets and the additives. They work and keep the dust down. When I notice dust as I dump the contents out, I know it is time to add more dryer sheets and additive.
My preference for media is ground walnut hulls impregnated with jewelers rouge as it lasts longer.
Also consider what type of sifter separator to use when you complete tumbling. A fully enclosed model like the RCBS IMHO is the best as you don't get media all over the place.
Concur with previous poster on sorting your brass if you are tumbling more than one caliber. I do not like case sex.
Old May 12, 2011, 01:44 PM   #7
scsov509

Another vote for dryer sheets, though I don't bother cutting mine into pieces anymore. I cut them into pieces at first, and then tried them whole and didn't notice a big difference. Since I wash clothes more often than I tumble brass, I usually just add two used dryer sheets at a time and then change them every few tumblings. Works fine for me.
Old May 12, 2011, 02:49 PM   #8
mikld

Walnut media is just fine, it'll clean your brass and shine it up. It won't give you that high gloss shine, but it was good enough for me. I tried a bunch ot things to use for media (rice, beach sand, cat litter, {not diotomacious earth but a new litter; Good Mews, made from recycled paper}, wood chips, sawdust, dried coffee grounds and some other stuff I forgot, most worked to some extent. I tried most of the additives too, but found they are mostly too much trouble for the results. I've settled on http://www.drillspot.com/products/49...bs_blast_media . I use it in my Lyman wobbler, with no additives and I can get that "shinier than new" finish if I want...
Old May 12, 2011, 04:43 PM   #9
chris in va

Cheap/easy way to separate media.

Get two buckets w/handles from the hardware store, one smaller than the other. Punch dozens of holes in the bottom of the smaller one, using 3/8" drill bit. I'm talking more holes than plastic.

Dump cases/media into the smaller bucket with the larger underneath. Agitate vigorously for about a minute, making sure the cases go airborne inside. Voila, ready to reload!

Quote:
Concur with previous poster on sorting your brass if you are tumbling more than one caliber. I do not like case sex.
That is hilarious!

Last edited by chris in va; May 12, 2011 at 04:51 PM.
Old May 12, 2011, 05:42 PM   #10
WookieRookie

Great idea on the buckets!
Old May 12, 2011, 05:55 PM   #11
maggys drawers

I had some pet store walnut that seemed really dusty. I dumped it in a bucket and took it outside on a breezy day, and poured it back and forth between 2 buckets. I raised the pouring bucket up a foot or so from the other one so it had some room to fall as it was poured. The breeze caught a lot of the dust and took it, while the heavier media particles just fell into the other bucket.

It wasn't nearly as dusty after that.
Old May 12, 2011, 06:27 PM   #12
jhansman

Ditto on the dryer sheets, but mine are shot by the time the timer shuts off, so a new one goes in with each batch. And yes, .357/.38 will find itself coupled with .45ACP every time, so they are kept apart.

To separate the media from brass, I use one of these pans (http://www.amazon.com/Vibratory-Tumb.../dp/B0036Z9NL8) over a Home Depot bucket. Works like a charm.
Old May 12, 2011, 06:45 PM   #13
scsov509

Quote:
And yes, .357/.38 will find itself coupled with .45ACP every time, so they are kept apart.
40 and 45 are the worst, I've actually thrown brass out rather than try to unstick them it gets so bad. You've got to separate them sometime, may as well be before you tumble.
Old May 12, 2011, 07:27 PM   #14
RWNielsen

Quote:
I would advise against doing the above. Tumbler should have a lid and the lid should be used and not tossed to the side.
It's a Lyman Pro 1200. The lid, which I use, has slots in it. Regardless of the amount of dryer sheets I put in there dust migrates throughout my garage. I'd rather it (my tumbler) worked a little harder, if it, in fact, does rather than cleaning up dust on my motorcycles, tools et all.
Old May 12, 2011, 08:05 PM   #15
Sky Master

I use walnut to clean, and corn cob to bring to a shine. Both with Dillon, Nufinsh or Frankford Arnsenal polishing agent. For separating the media from the brass, I went to the Dollar Store and purchased a strainer, can't beat it for a dollar. Fits over a plastic bucket I already have.
Old May 12, 2011, 08:27 PM   #16
WookieRookie

Will the dust hurt anything? Just ran a batch. They feel a bit dusty.
Old May 12, 2011, 10:27 PM   #17
Sky Master

I've had dusty one and I just dump them on a towel and fold the towel over them and rub them and shake them. After a while the dust will slow down.
Old May 12, 2011, 11:06 PM   #18
Scorpion8

I think everyone has missed polishing media. I add Dillon polishing liquid to my tumbler and not only have polished cases, but no dust.
Old May 12, 2011, 11:19 PM   #19
Nosparetime

I use Walnut media. I buy it from a sand blasting company in Portland. Mine does not have a lot of fines. The idea of a bucket with small holes might be a good idea to remove fines. I add (I know this will start a whole new thread) Brasso and paint thinner. NOT WET! I always leave my lids on while running. I have left them on for as long as 24hrs with extremely dirty brass.

I try to get all the brass separated before I clean. You still will get some 40 in 45 and 380 and 9 in 40. I use a impact bullet puller to separate the tuff ones. Never throw them away

I have forgot to put the lid on and what a mess.

I use a dillon case/media separator. I also have a plastic separator (I think it came from a gold mining supply) that fits in the top of a 5 gal bucket. I use it when I am sorting small quantities of brass. This is what I used before Dillon.

After I clean I will polish with corn cob media which I add liquid car wax too. I use the cheapest wax that I can buy, the kind you use for cars left outside for several years.

Jewelers rouge: if you bring me brass to load that has been treated with this I will either refuse to load it or charge extra to clean it off. It is abrasive to all of your reloading equipment!!
Old May 13, 2011, 02:32 PM   #20
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Jewelers rouge: if you bring me brass to load that has been treated with this I will either refuse to load it or charge extra to clean it off. It is abrasive to all of your reloading equipment!!
It's nowhere near as bad as the silica dust present everywhere in our homes and reloading areas. If you reload in a garage or shed, you might as well be lubricating your cases with powdered silica. Jewelers' Rouge is nothing, in comparison.
Old May 14, 2011, 06:31 PM   #21
WookieRookie

Picked up some nufinish polish. Thicker than I expected. You guys just squirt a blob in there with the cases?
Old May 14, 2011, 07:22 PM   #22
hanno

Quote:
Picked up some nufinish polish. Thicker than I expected. You guys just squirt a blob in there with the cases?
Put a capful in the tumbler and run it for 15 - 20 minutes before adding the cases. That way you won't end up with globs of polish in some of the cases.

Last edited by hanno; May 14, 2011 at 08:21 PM.
Old May 14, 2011, 07:26 PM   #23
Sky Master

Diddo hanno, I also use a wooden dowel rod or paint stirrer to brake up clumbs before adding cases.
Old May 14, 2011, 07:33 PM   #24
jepp2

Quote:
It is rather thick. To help it mix better, I cut it some with OMS (odorless mineral spirits) in a plastic squeeze bottle like you used to see ketchup and mustard in at restaurants. Shake it up, and it spreads out much better. You can also use the NuFinish undiluted if you like in the same bottle.

Make sure it is well distributed before you add your brass, or you will have some inside the cases. NuFinish really reduces the dust present in the media by binding it to the larger particles.
Old May 14, 2011, 09:46 PM   #25
WookieRookie

Thanks guys!