The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 29, 2005, 03:33 PM   #1
Fooka03

k98 bolt stuck

Hi all,

I have a 1939 german k98 (one of those russian capture jobs). I disassembled my gun to clean it and remove the varnish on the stock. So with the parts scattered all over my living room floor my roommate decided to "play" with it. Now the bolt is completely disassembled mind you with the extractor removed and he tries to stick it back into the barrel . Now it's stuck, moves forward about a 1/4", moves back same distance. I think that he's managed to catch the extractor lug on something inside the receiver. The front of the bolt is protruding about an inch from the stripper clip cutout.

So is there anything I can do or should I look for the name of a good gunsmith? I'll post some pictures later on.
Old April 29, 2005, 04:55 PM   #2
cntryboy1289

no big deal

It happens to a lot of us who forget now and then to remove the ring that holds the extractor on. Look back into the reciever and use a small screwdriver or a punch to wiggle the ring past the bolt stop and ejector. Pull on it slightly and it should come out without too much fuss. Next time you remove the extractor, remember to not put the bolt in without the extractor ring removed. It will easily bend to remove and bends back without too much trouble.

One side note, most of the stocks used an oil finish. Just sanding the stock down to bare wood doesn't completely remove all the oil. Depending on what type of finish you decide to use, you may need to remove all of the oil. I use heat to make the oil back out and wipe it off with a wag soaked in degreaser. A heat gun or a wall heater will do fine. It will take several heatings before all of the oil is removed. Some folks use an oven cleaner, but I hate the smell myself. I use Arrow's wood finish myself. You don't have to worry about the previous finish with it. Just rub it on a little and then sand it into the stock. A few coats and your done. Good luck with the gun.
Old April 29, 2005, 05:04 PM   #3
spacemanspiff

first off, roll up a newspaper and smack your roommate upside the head.

second, putting that extractor back on can be a pain. i can only imagine trying to get the bolt back out the way it is will be even more painful.

third, find some instructions for putting that bolt back together (applies only if you are unfamiliar with putting it back together, if you already know how like the rest of us, never mind this part). i learned the hard way. that safety's gotta be in the upright position. if not, gonna take at least an extra hand or two.

personally i feel that learning by experience is the way to go. maybe, just maybe, i can screw things up worse than others have.
Old April 29, 2005, 07:13 PM   #4
Fooka03

alrighty so i'm looking at this and i'm not quite sure what you mean about wiggling cntryboy. I've removed the bolt lock and the trigger assembly and i found where the tab is. so what do i do with it now?

pics as promised:

this pic shows where the tab is for the extractor (lined up with where the bolt lock would be on the bottom of the pic.)

This other one is just to show the general position of the bolt.
Old April 29, 2005, 07:21 PM   #5
Fooka03

here's one with a side view of where the extractor lug is positioned. (Sry for the poor quality of pics the digital cam doesn't like to focus on black things )
Old April 29, 2005, 08:51 PM   #6
Fooka03

alright i got it. I had to squeeze the lug together and slide it around until it freed itself. won't be making that mistake again thx for your help you 2
Old April 30, 2005, 01:53 AM   #7
cntryboy1289

no problem

Glad you got it out.
Old June 14, 2010, 06:48 AM   #8
shooter221

What happens is when you remove the extrator the ring that hods it unsprings slitghtly and catch in the lug slot/ Just reromove the bolt stop and with a small screw driver pry gently under the ejector ring via the bolt stop wind and bolt will slide right out. This happened to me a few days ago and it was driving me nuts. Because the instructions I have for my head space gauges say to remove the ejector and as you my bolt went in so far and stuck. It was the ejector mounting ring that expanded slightly hiting the locking lug slots that was the trouble.
Hope this hells Kind regards all.
Mike
Old June 14, 2010, 03:07 PM   #9
RimfireChris

Put out an ad for a new roomate while yer at it.
Old June 15, 2010, 03:44 PM   #10
Clark

Putting a Mauser bolt with loose extractor ring into a receiver and getting it stuck is par for the course, if you do it once.

If you keep doing it, you are getting old.
That's MY excuse.
Old June 16, 2010, 07:48 AM   #11
F. Guffey

Should be a matter of allowing the heavy side of the ring to rotate down then rotate the receiver to align with the right lug rail, more times than not the problem is created when someone checking head space removes the extractor when following advise from the Internet.

F. Guffey
Old June 17, 2010, 03:12 AM   #12
Darren007

You guys realize this thread is 5 years old right? :P
Old June 17, 2010, 04:26 PM   #13
Clark

Quote:
Darren007

You guys realize this thread is 5 years old right? :P
You realize the rifle has been in production for 112 years?

I remember in grade school other boys talking about Mauser bolts in 1960.
Old June 17, 2010, 05:24 PM   #14
Darren007

Quote:
You realize the rifle has been in production for 112 years?

I remember in grade school other boys talking about Mauser bolts in 1960.
It's also irrelevant as the OP's question was answered 5 years ago.

In the world of online forums this is known as a "necro-post" (it rose from the dead) :P. And had no good reason to be brought back except for one posters not realizing that it was old when he posted.

If it is something of great importance that bears constant discussion, then it should be made a sticky.
Old June 18, 2010, 12:17 AM   #15
Clark

Somewhere between a necro-post and a sticky are some Golden oldies like this one.

Timeless topics of gunsmithing, that may be the best post you get all week.
Old June 19, 2010, 10:30 AM   #16
brickeyee

Resist the urge to use the reassembled weapon on your roommate.