The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 28, 2009, 06:58 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

Hunting with the boomers... hearing protection choices ???

I don't "normally" like to wear hearing protection while hunting, but I have a couple boomers that would be both painfull & damaging not to wear hearing protection...

what do you guys like to use on the really loud guns, while hunting ???
Old September 28, 2009, 09:48 AM   #2
COYOTE JLR

It may not be conventional, but I use the marshmallow style headphones when I'm out and about. They don't cancel a whole ton of noise, but for a couple of shots at the most they do just fine. I just run the cord down the back of my shirt and have the Y sit against the back of my neck with the buds draped over each shoulder. Just pop them in and you're ready to roll.

Oh and for reference I shoot a Ruger MKII 7 Remmag and I've never been bothered by the sound. I've used a buddies Browning 7 Remmag with a boss and that was no problem either.

Don't buy expensive ones. I often see them for $5 and they can be found for considerably less if you look around online enough.
Old September 28, 2009, 09:52 AM   #3
fisherman66

I hate shooting with muffs on. I tolerate it at the range along with plugs, but I couldn't do it in the field. Were I you, I'd tuck a couple blue rubber plugs into the crook of my ear and shove them in right before I take a shot.
Old September 28, 2009, 10:18 AM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I currently use a set of electronic muffs from Radians. I think the model is the Omni, I also think that they don't make the exact set anymore.

I won't shoot a gun, hunting or otherwise, without protection. The electronic muffs turn a burden into an advantage. I simply run a earpiece under the muffs which allows me to hear my two-way radio without it being heard by the prey and the muffs allow me to hear the incoming animals better than ever. As a matter of fact, I have a set that look like hearing aids (think Game Ear but cheaper) that I wear while bowhunting.
Old September 28, 2009, 11:36 AM   #5
Scorch

I use North Sonic Ear Valves, ear plugs that have a spring-loded diaphragm that quickly closes off for loud noises. These are not for the range, but work great for hunting.
http://www.rrarms.com/catalog.php?prod=14311
Old September 29, 2009, 01:24 PM   #6
davlandrum

+1 on electronic muffs. This will be my first year trying it for long hunting days, so hope all goes well. When I bought my .460, I realized it was going to be a must.

Only problem is I can't wear my blaze camo cowboy hat with them, the one with all the blood drops on it...probably will prevent me from killing anything this year...

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old September 29, 2009, 05:16 PM   #7
FrontSight

davlandrum, I have a pair where the wire goes around the back of your head, instead of over the top...i forget the brand but I can look tonight if you want.
Old September 30, 2009, 04:48 PM   #8
davlandrum

Scrap, I'd appreaciate that. I will use what I have for this year. I will stick the cowboy hat in my pack for pictures afterward! And if it is with me for the shot, it still gets a spot.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old September 30, 2009, 07:46 PM   #9
Swampghost

I use Peltor Tactical 6's. +6 db. gain and their service is excellent.

http://www.peltor.se/int/Page.asp?Pagenumber=151 The site is acting funky at this moment.
Old September 30, 2009, 08:22 PM   #10
Kreyzhorse

I hunt with either a .308, 7mm Rem Mag or a 45-70 Gov't but just can't hunt with any type of hearing protection. While I wouldn't dream of target shooting without hearing protection, I'll take the risk of 1, 2 or 3 un-protected shots a year.
Old October 1, 2009, 10:40 AM   #11
davlandrum

Krezy - I agree with a rifle, but this pistol is a whole different ball game.

Old October 1, 2009, 11:14 AM   #12
wyobohunter

I always have a cheap set of disposable earplugs in my pocket. I would only be able to put them in if I were taking a long shot at an animal that isn't going anywhere. If I anticipate long shots (open country hunt) I'll be bring the .338 RUM with muzzle brake. In that case I'll make time to get the plugs in.
Old October 1, 2009, 10:55 PM   #13
Swampghost

Krezy, take about 50 yrs. of hunting with and without buddies (deer, hogs, ducks) and you will wish that you wore some.

I'm also getting a little deef. Suprisingly, it works to my advantage when dealing with my wife.