The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 10, 2008, 09:20 PM   #1
Casimer

What are the different types of tactical training?

My only formal firearms training is in match shooting (e.g. HP and BE) through other shooters and a few clinics. I've made an effort to learn defensive skills, but haven't ever received any structured training in this regard.

It's apparent that there are various disciplines (as in the focus and intent of application) and schools (as in theories and methods) of tactical firearms training available to civilians.

Is there a widely accepted vernacular a/o categorization of these skill-sets among practitioners?

For instance, how would someone who teaches and trains in techniques for breaching and securing a building describe a discipline that focuses instead on personal defense scenarios?
Old October 11, 2008, 12:04 AM   #2
Rob Pincus

Casimer,

At the largest levels (such as the examples you describe in your last sentence), you can break training down into the "professional" and "personal" levels.... with breaching being the former and handgun defense being both.

Very rarely will you find anything that is a viable personal defense skill that is not valid for professional use, but the reverse is not true. That said, there are a lot of sport shooting techniques (whether they are advertised as such or not) that are not as applicable to professionals, but appropriate for someone wanting to become a good "shooter" or compete.

If you are looking for training, you should try to find first hand reports from people who are similar to you (background, lifestyle, gear) in regard to schools/instructors to find what might work. If you are not a SWAT/Spec-Ops guy, it might not matter what a SWAT/Spec-ops guy thinks about a particular school, for example.

The industry is large and diverse and there are a lot of options out there. If you keep asking questions and do the research, you probably won't end up wasting your time or money or being disappointed in any training you choose to attend.

-RJP
Old October 11, 2008, 12:17 PM   #3
David Armstrong

Quote:
Is there a widely accepted vernacular a/o categorization of these skill-sets among practitioners?
Not really. Just about anything can be and has been called tactical. We can't even agree on what to call fairly basic things. That is part of the problem with many discussions. Your best bet is look past the verbiage and see what is actually being described or discussed. Lots of hype. "Special Forces Style Anti-Terrorism Training" at one school is "Level 2 Handgun" at another place.
Old October 11, 2008, 03:18 PM   #4
Threefeathers

I just got back from Ayoob's LFI I and I learned much every day in terms of shooting and the legal aspects of self defense. We had LEO's Doctors, Nurses, Teachers, retired Military, and a lady who had only started to shoot last year.
I am a very experienced shooter and I am so glad I attended this 5 day absolutely intensive course.
Ayoob had great things to say about Rob P. The entire Gunsite staff, Gabe Suarez, and Clint Smith. Pick one of these schools get professional training and then hit one more. I think what LFI offers in legal support makes it a necessity, then pick one more.
I was in a SF unit with Ed Stock (action figure) from Gunsite so I might do his just to say hello and do some shooting.
Old October 12, 2008, 08:37 AM   #5
Tuckahoe

Tactical training comes on many levels. From a simple class on OC spray for civilians to boarding an aircraft by a swat team each class should fit the students needs.
Old October 13, 2008, 08:11 PM   #6
Casimer

Thanks for the input.

Quote:
"Special Forces Style Anti-Terrorism Training" at one school is "Level 2 Handgun" at another place.
That's what I've noticed. It seems as though the language describing specific techniques is more standardized, but the program descriptions are all over the place.