The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 26, 2006, 09:28 PM   #1
Blacktail_Slayer

Baiting Coyote

I have an old ham and a couple of old packages of elk steak that I want to use to bait coyotes. What would be the best way to use it without having to sit in a blind for more than a couple hours? I have some hung just out of reach in a tree, jammed into crevaces of a freshly fallen log, and between big chunks of wood. Also I have some on the ground, but this way they have to try for days to get to the meat. The thing is I only have one place near by that I can do this with. I need to find a way so that when I go to spend a day up in the mountains, I want to be able to set out bait and bring em in in a couple hours.

P.S. I still call occasionally but these are extremely call educated coyotes.
Old December 29, 2006, 10:05 AM   #2
jsjac

I put all the bones from the moose I shot this year and all the bones from a deer and I did not see one coyote but they are all gone . We looked for them and the must have dragged them off, or covered them up.I suppose it could be a bear but I think it is coyote. I hoped to get one but no luck yet. I will tie the next deer to a tree to make them work for the bait

JSJAC
Old December 29, 2006, 11:31 AM   #3
dfaugh

Been thinking of doing something similar myself... There's 'yotes in the area (watch a couple crosss my back yard (3 acres, next to my woods) a while back, but they were gone my the time I got my gun ready. Have thought about shooting a few squirrels/rabbits and gutting them (I'll eat rabbit but don't much care for squirrel(, and hanging them just high enough to keep the raccoons and suchfrom getting to them. But, I suspect that may not be enough, without some calling ( I'm a newbeis RE: coyote---we never had any around for years, but they've now moved in, in force.)

Not much help for you, I know, but I suspect its worth a try. Also thought about using "kennel mix" you can get from butcher shop (just a mess 'o stuff ground up like hamburger. Only 40 cents a lb. around here I sometimes feed it to my dogs). Thought I'd hang it in a mesh basket off the ground.

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old December 29, 2006, 01:54 PM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I've set out bait at night, and just occasionally shown a spotlight at the area. Best to have it where they can't eat and run, though. Use wire to tie bones to a tree limb or some such.

Art
Old December 29, 2006, 04:08 PM   #5
Csspecs

I used dog food last year, I just poked holes in the cans and tied them to a tree branch. Coyote licks.

Don't know how well they work for sure as I only got to sit that area one day (deer season started) but all the cans were empty inside of three days.
Old December 29, 2006, 07:50 PM   #6
revjen45

I have been told that the best bait for coyote is a kitten, especially in an area where they're used to eating people's cats. When they're lonely kittens make the kind of noise that predators are drawn to. Before you call me cruel, the coyote shouldn't get the kitten- that's what you're there for. I haven't actually done this, just heard that it works. I love cats and wouldn't let the "bait" come to harm. We lost some much loved kitties to coyotes and I would really enjoy smoking a few of them. I think my 6X45mm Baby Sako would be a perfect coyote gun.