The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old February 11, 2006, 09:49 PM   #1
schutzen

Bench Plans

I'm looking for some help with plans/designs/ideas for the construction of a shooting bench for a private range. I intend to use the bench as a sighting-in bench and a medium range target bench (300 yd). My requirements are 1) ambidextrous 2) top constructed of concrete. Beyond that I am open to any and all ideas and suggestions. Comments about what you like and don't like about various benches you've shot from. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old February 12, 2006, 05:58 AM   #2
Rembrandt

Just finished building a Shooting Bench for our farm get away. Not a concrete top, but may give you some ideas. When planning the design, I needed something that could be easily moved, right or left handed, fully adjustable for adults or kids, and weather proof. Entire project cost about $100.

Materials list is a follows:
- (1) 3/4"X4'X8' sheet pressure treated plywood
- (2) 2"X10' lengths of black pipe
- (1) 3/4"X12" All Thread
- (3) 3/4 nuts & washers
- (12) 3/8"X4" Galvanized carriage bolts & nuts
- (1) 18" diameter Disc blade
- (3) 1/4"X4"X4" plate

Recently removed a radiator heat system from the "Hunting Lodge" and had lots of heavy black pipe that was going to the scrap yard. Saved it to be used for our new gun and archery range.

After cutting to proper length a tube bender was used to make the frame and legs of the shooting bench.

Bench design uses a 3 legged format with two identical pieces of formed pipe.

After bending the pipe they are welded at one end with the framework in a "V" pattern.

Next step was to cut the 3/4" treated plywood sheet in half (4'X4'), then glue and screw both halves together....making an 1 1/2" thick top for the bench.

More to come later......
Old February 12, 2006, 05:59 AM   #3
Rembrandt

After the plywood is glued and screwed together, cutouts are made for the right and left handed shooters. Saved these scrap cutouts for a bench seat top. Edges are sanded and smoothed.

Holes are drilled through the wood and pipe, insert carriage bolts.

Next step is to build an adjustable "Piano" style stool that has height adjustment.....more to come.
Old February 12, 2006, 06:01 AM   #4
Rembrandt

Piano style stool uses an 18" disc blade for stability. Piece of black pipe is welded to the base and a notch is cut partially through the pipe about 6" down....this will be used to locate and secure nuts inside the pedestal.

One nut is welded to the base of the All Thread to act as a stop, then a second nut is welded to a washer, but allowed to spin freely on the threaded shaft.

This is then inserted into the pedestal where the washer then lines up with the previously cut slot...then welded.

Top of pedestal is then capped and a mounting plate is installed for the wooden seat. Threaded shaft allows 6-8" of height adjustment.

Finished seat assembly.
Old February 12, 2006, 06:03 AM   #5
Rembrandt

Here's pics of some built for our club's outdoor range 12 years ago...heavy duty, weather well, and can be moved out of the way for other shooting disciplines. Smallest kid or biggest adult can use them.

Old February 12, 2006, 07:59 PM   #6
schutzen

Rembrant, Thanks for the reply. I like the top size and format, but I am adamant about the concrete top. I have already been to my scrap pile looking for a large disc blade. I really like the stool. I'm pretty sure I'll have a stool completed this week.

Thanks SD