The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 3, 2005, 05:44 AM   #1
DevLcL

Touchy Shooters

I've been put-down and made fun of more in 3 weeks on 'The Firing Line" then I did in 12 years of grade school. I a big boy and I can handle a little cronstructive critisizm, but you guys are just whining. Everyone who responded to my thread about lower gauge shells should consider yourself as much a "troll" as me. I expect not to see any replies on this one folks.
Old January 3, 2005, 07:24 AM   #2
Doerdie

I think you gave everyone an oppertunity to blow off a little steam. It was an interesting topic and generated alot of opinions. You know what they say about opinions, I hope you don't take the replys to seriously.
Old January 3, 2005, 08:15 AM   #3
RUT

You must like it, or you wouldn't be "stirring the pot"!
Old January 3, 2005, 09:15 AM   #4
K80Geoff

DFTT
Old January 3, 2005, 09:39 AM   #5
CJNies

Declaring that all the members, their friends and family members that happen to own a 20 gauge are all “STUPID” for making such a decision is a sophomoric comment at best. There are far more effective, constructive and intellectual means of “stirring the pot” without insulting people. Reacting negatively to being called stupid is normal, not touchy.
I would think that someone having spent twelve years in grade school while most of us only did six would present one with a large enough vocabulary that the use of the word stupid would be rendered unnecessary
Old January 3, 2005, 10:15 AM   #6
dfaugh

If you have a question

post it as a question....Just the title of the original post was GUARANTEED to draw some "over-the-top" responses. A little common sense and thought before posting helps, too.... In this case, since there are THOUSANDS of 16, 20, 28 and .410 shotguns out there, OBVIOUSLY people have found good reason for their existence.

Considering the original title and phrasing of the post, I'm surprised you didn't get hammered more thouroughly....No one has a problem with someone asking a legitimate question, but when a "newbie" attacks a group of people with combined experience in the THOUSANDS of years, its gonna get ugly....

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old January 3, 2005, 10:33 AM   #7
johnbt

DevLcL - What can I say? If the shoe fits...well, just so it's a size 12 and not one of those junior sizes.

John
Old January 4, 2005, 01:39 PM   #8
Avizpls

Dev, yea. People are touchy around here and very willing to let you know how "stupid" or "irresponsible" your thoughts are rather than just saying, "hmm...you shouldnt do that, because xxxxxx" It hasnt happened to ME yet, but I see it SO much.

Such is life though.

*edit: then I read the thread you refered to. You are what I refer to as well. That topic would have been beter started as, "to me is seems the 20ga is a step in the wrong direction. Should shotguns be the biggest and baddest of the guns? ect ect" Calling 20ga owners stupid is just as wrong as anyhting else Ive seen.
Old January 4, 2005, 05:52 PM   #9
sdkidaho

I'm new here, as my post count will reflect, but I thought your post on 20 gauge shotguns was tongue in cheek. I didn't actually take it seriously. There were a few people that surely did, and for them, yeah, they could stand to undo a few knots in their panties, but over all I think most who replied had fun with it.

Ease up on the trigger.
Old January 4, 2005, 06:11 PM   #10
Danindetroit

I figured you just did not know the history of SG's, and tried to give hopefully a 1/2 ways accurate account, of how they might have come about. The pile on, and flame seems to be going around. Suggested other titles, Uses of 20ga, ignorant of 20ga shooting. People who shoot the smaller gauges, are excellent shots, and have put in a lot of time to get that way.
Old January 4, 2005, 09:49 PM   #11
DAVID NANCARROW

Why are you scratching your head over this? You come out with a post, slamming the intelligence of several thousand knowledgeable shooters, and then have the guts to act surprised

Ask questions here-you are going to find a huge reserve of knowledge on this site and many, many people with decades of experience visit here every day. I don't always post every day, but I know that I am going to find a correct answer to my questions, and can freely share what I know with others.

Take your post and turn it around-why would anyone use a 12 gauge blunderbuss on a little bitty quail? Gee, it might be the only shotgun they have, or any number of very good reasons. No doubt the mighty 12 is the most versatile shotgun gauge out there, but the smaller gauges have their place too.

I have used 20 gauges on deer with slugs, and also on pheasant and none of them scolded me for using a "stupid" gauge. In fact, they all died just as quickly as if they were bopped by a 12.

The nice thing about that 870 LT is that it is lighter for all day carry, and at least in the case of the 20, a 3 inch 20 packs as much shot as a field load 12 if thats what you need. The disadvantage being a longer shot string.

My utmost respect goes out to the scattergunners using a 410. There's a lot of folks who buy that gauge for their kids as a beginners shotgun, but unless there is a physical strength issue, the 410 is probably an experts shotgun. On the flip side, if the youngun can hit it with a 410, they can hit it with most anything.
Old January 5, 2005, 02:04 PM   #12
johnbt

"but you guys are just whining."

Welcome, I can see you're going to fit right in.

John
Old January 5, 2005, 03:26 PM   #13
XavierBreath

Know what? I learned the most when I was wrong.

Nobody knows everything, and we all can learn from anybody. We may not learn what we expect, or wish to learn, but we learn nonetheless.

Welcome to the forum. There is a lot of wisdom here. Partake in it. It sounds as if I missed a good thread!