The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 5, 2013, 09:35 PM   #1
kentuckycountryboy

Western Auto 'model 99' question

I was given an western auto/high standard model 99/sentinel. I have yet to try and fire it, but was told it was broke. It appears that the rotation mechanism doesn't always engage. Can anyone point me towards a manual with take-down instructions? I've never torn into a revolver before.
Old March 5, 2013, 09:51 PM   #2
PetahW

http://stevespages.com/ipb-histandard-sentinel.html

Old March 6, 2013, 08:17 AM   #3
cecILL

Numrich has replacement parts.
Old March 7, 2013, 07:41 PM   #4
kentuckycountryboy

So, do I just knock all the roll pins out and it comes apart? Sorry, I know next to nothing about revolvers.
Old March 7, 2013, 08:24 PM   #5
Carmady

I have a similar gun on the way, and zero experience, but I've been searching here for info and came across the following and saved it. I forget the member's name, but am pretty sure it started with an S. Anyhow, I'd suggest only removing the grips and clean/oil it before attempting disassembly. Here's what he said:

The 22 Sentinels don't have a side plate. You can remove the crane assembly by depressing the plunger in the front of the frame with a pin punch (with cylinder open)and pulling the assembly away from the side of the frame. To remove the lockwork assembly you then need to drive out the drift pin in the frame above the grips and remove thr triggerguard and lockworks. My advice is =don't. If you simply remove the grips(one screw in the bottom) you will expose the mainspring and you can cock the gun and squirt solvent into the lockwork that will drain out of the gripframe. squirt and cycle until things are clean then relube with a couple of drops of oil onto the hammer sear interface and a bit where the hand enters the recoil shield, where the trigger exits the frame and onto the mainsping. Cycle, wipe off any that runs out if you over did it , put the grips back on and go on with life.
Old March 7, 2013, 08:47 PM   #6
kentuckycountryboy

I took the trigger group out and can't find anything wrong. I guess the spring for the dog that rotates the cylinder could be bad. There appears to be nothing missing.
Old March 7, 2013, 08:52 PM   #7
spanishjames

If you have limited experience with this sort of thing, don't dissasemble the revolver completely. Parts may be hard to come by since they're not made anymore. I'd do what Carmady suggested and go from there. The gun may just need some oil in the right spots, and some crud flushed out of it. I'd take the grips off and cycle the gun slowly by pulling back on the hammer, then pulling the trigger and letting the hammer down slowly to see what's going on, and how the gun works in general. Just don't dry fire the gun too much, as it can be damaged by doing so.
Old March 7, 2013, 08:58 PM   #8
kentuckycountryboy

The more I mess with the action, the more I think it may just need cleaned. I'm not tearing it down again tonight, but I put some oil on the action from the holes by the firing "pin" and around the hammer and it seems to cycle better.
Old March 7, 2013, 11:27 PM   #9
spanishjames

If you get it going, let us know how it shoots.
Old March 8, 2013, 06:17 AM   #10
CajunBass

Judging by the exploded diagram it's a High-Standard R-106.

Give it a good flushing with some Gunscrubber then relube it and see if that helps. Take the grips off, the ones on mine are plastic and the Gunscrubber will most likely ruin them.

I wouldn't try to take it apart. I suspect you'd need three very small hands to get it back together again.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old March 8, 2013, 10:56 AM   #11
Carmady

I'd guess that the Western Auto 9/Sentinel might be the Western Auto name for the High Standard Double Nine.

The Double Nine looks looks like a SAA, but, as the name implies, it's DA/SA, and has a 9-round swing-out cylinder.

OP, does your gun look like a cowboy gun?

CajunBass, I have one coming that looks just like yours, but it's a R-107.

Edit: Here's a link to a Double Nine on GB.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=330960539
Old March 8, 2013, 06:49 PM   #12
kentuckycountryboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmady View Post
I'd guess that the Western Auto 9/Sentinel might be the Western Auto name for the High Standard Double Nine.

The Double Nine looks looks like a SAA, but, as the name implies, it's DA/SA, and has a 9-round swing-out cylinder.

OP, does your gun look like a cowboy gun?

CajunBass, I have one coming that looks just like yours, but it's a R-107.

Edit: Here's a link to a Double Nine on GB.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=330960539
The sources I found say the revelation model 99 is the western auto name for the HS sentinel. It looks more like a semi-modern .38 to me. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362786548.779734.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1362786559.516997.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1362786571.931718.jpg
Old March 8, 2013, 06:51 PM   #13
kentuckycountryboy

More pics ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362786607.635149.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1362786619.744277.jpg

I'm fixing to clean it up with some Hoppe's #9 and see how it does.
Old March 10, 2013, 12:37 AM   #14
dampoo666

Here is an article on the High Standard Sentinel history. It has a discussion of the cylinder indexing system.

http://unblinkingeye.com/Guns/Sentinel/sentinel.html

All the folks that I have talked to say do not disassemble otherwise you will have a can of parts. I soak mine in kerosene drain overnight and blow with compressed air. Thirty years now.
Old March 10, 2013, 06:27 PM   #15
kentuckycountryboy

Dampoo, I've read that article a few time already and It's interesting, but doesn't include much tech info.

I've been considering the kerosene soak for a few days, never used kerosene on a gun before though. Is it just standard K1 kerosene from the gas station? I was worried it would take the finish off the aluminum frame. I guess I'll give it a try though.
Old March 10, 2013, 07:38 PM   #16
dampoo666

I have used kerosene for most of my life and never seen any negative results.

Try this cleaning first it fixes most of the problems I have encountered.

As for disassembly, many years ago the gunsmith I used told me never again when I brought my sentinel to him. There more tips and tricks to this revolver that he has never learned. You may find a High Standard smith but be careful of the guy that says he can fix anything. My Sentinels and Double Nines have never broke or needed repairs just really good cleaning.
Old March 11, 2013, 06:37 PM   #17
kentuckycountryboy

Alright, I'll get on the kerosene cleaning and get back with the results. It might be a few days though.
Old March 12, 2013, 07:14 AM   #18
CajunBass

Keep us posted. These little guns are a lot of fun, and a great "knock around" gun. In an Uncle Mikes Sidekick holster, mine weighs next to nothing, but shoots great. I'd plinked cans with mine before, but last week I took it to the range and shot it on paper. It was much more accurate than I expected it to be.
John 3:16 (NKJV)