The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 21, 2012, 07:41 AM   #26
misterE

Muzzy

Muzzy 100 grain all the way for me. Shoot to the same poi for me out of my compound bow. Nothing to fail in a fixed blade broad head. Just my 2 cents.
Old November 23, 2012, 10:02 PM   #27
jlove1974

I like NAP products, for the simple reason that they sell them at any Wal-mart in the rural south. They are excellent broadheads, and I recommend the three blade Bloodrunners. They fly like a fixed blade and then mechanically expand (WITHOUT O-rings, etc) on impact. Good stuff.
Old November 24, 2012, 04:35 AM   #28
Regolith

Make sure to check your state laws. Just learned recently that Oregon doesn't allow mechanical broadheads.
Old November 24, 2012, 05:16 AM   #29
ohiomossyoak

Quote:
I ended up with Ulmer mechanical broadheads. You can lock the blades and use them for practice.

If I was choosing a Mech or expandable head this would be at the top of my list..I shoot Slick trick Magnums out of a compound bow,but have used and have complete faith in trophy taker products.....These guys dont put out junk imo....At the end of the day shot placement is key...Know your limits an stay within them....
Old November 24, 2012, 10:14 AM   #30
johnwilliamson062

I have been pretty impressed with the broad heads in practice. Seem to work very well and appear to be pretty strong.

"Know your limits an stay within them...."
Reminds me of something a USMC NCO once told me...
I am going to be very limited on range 30 yards max. The last few years I have not had much trouble getting deer that close using my expert strategy of "nap in the blind." Seems some compound bow archers are shooting out to 90 yards.
Maybe in a few decades I will also.
Old November 25, 2012, 09:06 AM   #31
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Seems some compound bow archers are shooting out to 90 yards.
90 yards at animals is foolish. That's a target game only.

Many archers shooter that far and farther in competition but shooting live animals is a different world. That arrow takes like... 3 1/2 days... to go 90 yards. An animal could be in the next county by that time. One single step turns a heart shot into a heartache. No way a responsible hunter shoots that far.
Old November 25, 2012, 04:47 PM   #32
shortwave

Quote:
No way a responsible hunter shoots that far.
Agree!

I used to shoot bow/hunt with a guy that was one of the best bow shots I've ever personally seen.

He is in his early sixties, has hunted and shot bow since his early teens and has never owned a gun in his life. I have seen him make 55-60yd shots on deer many times.

Another fella I know is in his mid forties, has also shot bow all his life, competing for several years. His practice regiment for years has been that of a full time job. If he's awake and not working at his job which was filming his hunting shows(Bighorn Outdoors), he is either practicing or teaching archery to kids. This fella is on film killing a turkey at a measured 57yds.

As good as both these guys are with a bow, they would never think of shooting at a live target past 65yds. And in order to take that long of a shot, all elements(wind,terrain, animals mood, etc.) would have to be perfect.

It's just not worth the risk involved.

Where these guys randomly practiced shooting golf ball size targets at 50-70yds., yours truly was shooting at beach ball size targets.
Old November 27, 2012, 08:33 PM   #33
publius

I'll second Brian on the Slick Trick's. Not overly heavy with a good cutting diameter and small blade surface area to lessen wind planing.