The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 27, 2012, 04:36 PM   #1
PoorRichRichard

Need help! DUCKS! Wister Unit, Salton Sea, CA

Hi all. Heading out tonight to the Wister unit on the Salton Sea for the last 2 days of duck season. Any info on good sights to choose would be greatly appreciated. Went out there 3 weeks ago for the first time (alone) and hunted Y16B #1, and I shot a Green-wing Teal and a Ruddy. Had a great time especially considering it was my first time ever hunting ducks, and I really had no idea what I was doing. I have since invested in a nice pair of waders, And also plan on buying some blind foliage that thet sell at the permit station, but I still lack a dog. This info may be helpful in advising me in sight selection. Thank you again for any and all help.
Old January 28, 2012, 09:32 AM   #2
Gbro

1st off you will have to love dogs to live with one year around so that you have a dog for the few times you hunt.
Of course a good dog can be used for other hunting also.
Do you have the living arrangement, and are you willing to spend the time required to train or pay someone else to train it?
I love Lab's, Golden's are great, the last one we had had to be put down as he was a bitter. Chesapeake bay's are oily and seem to be a one man dog but are the sturdiest IMO.
Had all three and like the labs the best.
Get a cheap one maybe even a pound dog, We all make many mistakes training a dog and to buy a high price pup and not know how to live with a dog in your life might be a waist of money. My son in law has one from the pound and is a fantastic retriever.
I for the most part hunt out of a boat and fetch my own, with a dip net.
However I haven't hunted ducks in a couple years now.
Old January 29, 2012, 09:11 PM   #3
grubbylabs

Not sure where to tell you to go for their as I did not hunt when I lived in southern California. I passed it many times though on my way out to the sand dunes.

If you are interested in getting a dog shoot me a PM and I will do what I can to help you out with picking a breed, dog, or breeder.

Obviously I am a little biased towards labs, but there are other good breeds as well.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)