The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old February 7, 2001, 11:27 AM   #1
falconer

Is anyone interested in having an Ohio TFL shoot? I was thinking sometime in late March, anywhere from the 16th to 25th really (spring break).
Old February 8, 2001, 03:11 PM   #2
falconer

Ok, I got one response in email this morning. Anyone else?
Old February 8, 2001, 10:06 PM   #3
1S1K

Falconer, I cant believe we are the olny two people in Ohio.
Old February 9, 2001, 05:44 PM   #4
Hal

Actually, there's quite a few of us here from Ohio. Depending on my work schedule, I may be open for it.
Old February 11, 2001, 11:01 AM   #5
falconer

A couple of the guys I shoot with said they would be interested in going. One might bring his class 3 toys depending on where we go
Old February 11, 2001, 08:00 PM   #6
falconer

Also, Is anyone going to be at the Medina Gun Show next weekend?
Old February 11, 2001, 08:07 PM   #7
AK2KX

Where in Ohio? I'm near Detroit, so I may be able to make it on a weekend.
Old February 11, 2001, 09:23 PM   #8
falconer

AK2KX, I'm not sure where. I supposed thats up to whoever wants to go. I'm in NE Ohio near Akron (actually I'm in columbus, but I'll be home in march for spring break), so is thebluesman(if he decides to come) and I think RAE is too.
Old February 11, 2001, 10:26 PM   #9
1S1K

Falconer are you planing a day trip or making a weekend of it? State range or private land?
Old February 12, 2001, 05:45 AM   #10
Hal

Link to public access (ODNR) ranges.

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/odnr/wild...s/granges.html

Most of the public State run ranges are in the Southern Ohio area. The bulk of us here at TFL are in Northern Ohio, (Yes, I'm in Akron). The closest ODNR range to the Cleveland/Akron area is Grand River, up by Mentor Headlands. There's a number of private indoor ranges, On Taget in Lorain comes to mind, that are an hour to 1 1/2 hour drive from Akron, Toledo, Mansfield area. The problem with indoors is handgun only and limited range. That doesn't particularly bother me, but I know lots of you folks want to shoot long arms, which is also fine by me.
Old February 12, 2001, 10:21 AM   #11
falconer

1S1K,

I was thinking just a day trip, that would be easier for people to make room in their schedules.
Old February 12, 2001, 09:27 PM   #12
hksigwalther

Sorry I hadn't posted earlier. Don't normally look into Lock and Load. Maybe a head-up about this thread in the General forum will draw in more Ohioans/Pennsylvanians/New Yorkers.

I pretty sure I'll be up for it.
Old February 13, 2001, 10:09 PM   #13
Engineer

hey guys,

Found my way over from the general forum ... anyway, I'm up here in Cleveland, but if people are interested in getting together for a shoot somwhere, count me in!

RAE - the only indoor place that I know of up here in the NE Ohio area that lets somebody shoot rifles is at Stonewall (only on specific days though)

Ed
Old February 13, 2001, 10:16 PM   #14
Engineer

Medina show

falconer,

Missed your post up there. I'll most likely be heading to the Medina show this weekend. I'll probably be there when it opens up on Saturday as I feel the calling for another Makarov. Hopefully Frank and Karen will have some with them.

Old February 13, 2001, 10:23 PM   #15
falconer

It looks like I'll be at the medina show saturday around 2pm or so if anyone wants to meet up.
Old February 13, 2001, 11:04 PM   #16
rvb

how'd I miss this thread before?

I love the idea of an OH TFL shoot. That week of March is also my Spring Break, although I'll be using part of it to search for housing out of state (new job upon May graduation). So either of those weekends would probably work. I could probably swing either central or NE OH.

falconer, engineer,
I'll most likely be attending the show on Sat. I've never attended a gun show before, so I'm looking forward to it. I'm thinking of leaving the checkbook, plastic, and green at home to prevent those impulse buys!

I plan to be there earlier... like 10ish.

stay safe, and keep us posted on the OH TFL shoot!

rvb

Old February 14, 2001, 01:25 AM   #17
falconer

If you guys see a 19 year old guy wearing a black jacket with the words Ho Chun and a dragon embroidered on it; smack me upside the head and say hello. I might get there earlier if I leave class a little early.
Old February 14, 2001, 01:48 AM   #18
Engineer

Medina show

rvb,

Medina is a nice show - at least you don't have to pay for parking like some of the others (and I almost got boxed in at the last Summit show). You might as well bring some cash because there will most likely be something that will catch your eye and hey, you've already paid your five bucks, you might as well get something and not go home empty handed. If I remember, the last show I was contemplating finally getting setup to reload .223 and came home with a Makarov and ammo. My plan this time is to leave with just a Lee auto-disk powder measure but who knows what's gonna happen.

falconer,

geez man, how do you already know what you are going to wear? I think I'm going to roll out of bed and put on whatever stinks the least...

I'll probably get there around 9:00 - I think Plateshooter got me into the habit of getting there at opening, lest I miss that one great bargain (which I still have yet to find)

Old February 14, 2001, 05:22 AM   #19
plateshooter

I'll be at the Medina show Saturday morning as well.
I'm also from NE OHIO and would be interested in a
get together shoot if I can get there.
Old February 14, 2001, 08:31 AM   #20
falconer

Engineer,

Thats the only jacket I've been wearing lately :-p I too go for the "what stinks least" method of dressing, that or the "whatever hits my hand first when I stick it in the closet" approach.

3Gun sent me some info on a possible location, I'll post it later after I get back from class.
Old February 14, 2001, 09:01 AM   #21
falconer

Ok, here is the email I got from 3gun.

The rifle club (Tusco) I belong to is having a steel plate shoot on March 25th(Sunday). This shoot is open to the public. Rifles, pistols, shotguns and full auto all have a place. Shooting runs from around 10am until about 4pm.
Nonmembers must stay at the steel match unless you are with a member. Memberships are around $63 the first year and $37 the following years and are available at the snack bar during the shoot. The club has a 300yard main range, 3 trap fields, a couple of 100 yd ranges and a 50 yd pistol/22 only range and a practice range which is open to full auto. It's located in the Dover area.

How's that sound guys? I could probably swing it (spring quarter starts the next day, might be a pain but doable). I've never done a plate shoot before, sounds interesting.
Old February 14, 2001, 09:38 AM   #22
Engineer

falconer,

Tusco is a really nice place - Plateshooter brought me to one of the shoots there last year and I had a great time. It's a very humbling experience though - I realized just how much more pactice I need and just how well some people can really shoot. The only saving grace of my outing is that I actually did well on the pistol course my first time through it. Unfortunately, Sundays are pretty much out for me (at least until after Easter) - but maybe we can get something else together for a Saturday sometime in the future.

Old February 14, 2001, 10:30 AM   #23
falconer

Engineer,

Sundays aren't the greatest for me either because of work. Maybe we could meet at Tusco, just not the day of the event?
Old February 14, 2001, 07:33 PM   #24
hksigwalther

Hmm, Tusco. falconer, can you tell me driection on how to get there? (off of 77)
Old February 14, 2001, 07:49 PM   #25
falconer

hksigwalther , No clue. Dover or New Philly exit maybe? Does anyone who is a member of Tusco know if we could all gather there on Saturday the 24th?