The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 3, 1999, 08:39 AM   #1
muddyboots

What are the top clean burning pistol powders? I shot about 75 rounds of 44 mag this weekend (loaded with Win 231) and noticed the outside of the gun was very dirty. The loads were very good at 50 yards and with very little smoke when fired. Maybe it's the fact that the SW 629 just shows residue.
Old May 3, 1999, 02:07 PM   #2
Mal H
Staff

About a year ago I tried to figure this out also. I did some very unscientific experiments. I couldn't try all available powders, but, in general the "rule of thumb" I came up with is that the "newer" the powder, the cleaner it burns. I got very clean burning with Hodgdon Univ. Clays and Titegroup. Almost every VV Oy and Accurate powder I tried burned cleaner than most WW or Alliant powders. That being said, I still do most of my pistol and revolver loading with W231, WST, WSL, Unique and Bullseye or 2400 and W296 in magnums. Why? I dunno - tradition, I guess. It just doesn't seem right to have a "clean" revolver after a couple hundred rounds of 45 Colt.
Old May 3, 1999, 06:10 PM   #3
TTed

I have used Hodgdon Universal for 9mm, .38, & .45 ACP with very good results. Universal is a very versatile pistol & shotgun powder, and is generally pretty clean burning.
Old May 3, 1999, 11:33 PM   #4
James L

I've used unique, W231, WSF and Power Pistol.
The PP was the cleanest by far.
Haven't used it in .44 mag though. You can get specs at............http://reloading.atk.com/interactive/default.cfm?nGunType=0
Jim L.
Old May 4, 1999, 10:42 PM   #5
Cat

For light to medium loads I swear by Solo 1000. Solo 1250 seems good for medium to heavy loads and Solo 1500 is a good heavy load powder. Almost 99% of my experience with Solo powders is with Solo 1000. It is very clean burning. Nary a chunk anywhere, just a light gray film.
Used in conjunction with jacketed bullets in a Glock you almost never need to cleamn it. (That is, if you ever dared reload for a Glock. It would void your warranty!)
Cat
Old May 5, 1999, 08:09 AM   #6
muddyboots

Who makes the "solo" powders ?
As for reloads in Glock, I've shot 1000's of .40's (reloads)in my model 22. One can certainly minimize the risk:
1. reload (cases) fewer times
2. clean (barrel) often 150rds or less
3. purchase good after market barrel
4. don't use 180gr. bullets
5. don't make real hot loads
That's my Glock speech (sorry off topic).
I would like to try the solo. Do they have a web site?
Thanks
Old May 5, 1999, 03:59 PM   #7
Mal H
Staff

Cat, I'd like to try some of the Scot powders. Do you know of a mail order house that carries them in less than 8 lb. lots? Natchez has them but I would have to get 8 lb., this isn't a "try out" it's a commitment. Thanks.
Old May 5, 1999, 10:53 PM   #8
Cat

Solo powders are made by Scott. They used to be distributed out of southern Ohio. I think Accurate bought them out and now handles distribution. They aren't widely known or available. I take a trip to "Fin Feather and Fur" in Ashland, Ohio for mine. They stock it in various size containers. I usually get an 8 lb. container as their prices have been under $100 for this size.
Good luck finding it in your area.
Cat
Old May 16, 1999, 09:13 AM   #9
Bill Hebert

I used HS-6 for my 38 special loads. When I went to shoot them, it looked like I was shooting a black powder pistol. There was no wind and I had to wait for the smoke to clear after very third shoot to see the target. I'm looking for a "smokeless" smokeless powder... The gun was very dirty after 100 rounds....
Old May 16, 1999, 02:56 PM   #10
Cat

Bill,
Where you using lubed lead bullets? Sometime too much lube causes a lot of smoke. Especially in conjunction with certain powders.
Cat
Old May 16, 1999, 09:49 PM   #11
Bill Hebert

Yes, I was using Magnus hard cast and moly coated lead semi wad cutters. Would this cause the problem? I went to the range this PM and used everything the same except I used HP-38 and the smoke problem was gone. The wind was much higher this PM. Accuracy was excellent!