The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 28, 2008, 04:55 PM   #1
pjn003

In need of a good bullet puler- advise?

Hey guys,

I just got back from college and i have a bunch of 9mm laying around... i have no recollection of loading them, and i think that its possible some of them are improperly loaded rounds i was going to throw away.

I need to get an inexpensive bullet puller, what would you guys reccommend?
Old December 28, 2008, 05:01 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

The inertial pullers work. Check Midway or Midsouth. They take some work, but if you don't have too many they are fine and give back the bullet in the best possible condition.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old December 28, 2008, 05:07 PM   #3
pjn003

I couldnt find anything specifically inertial, would this work?

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=215517

Frankford Arsenal Impact Bullet Puller
Old December 28, 2008, 05:10 PM   #4
pjn003

oh, duh, i guess that would be an inertial bullet puller. thanks.
Old December 28, 2008, 05:19 PM   #5
Sevens

That is an inertia, kinetic, or hammer type bullet puller. It'll work quite well.

When you have a LOT to do (more than a dozen), it will get old, but it's safe, works well, and doesn't damage anything.

Some folks experience massive annoyance when trying to put the little collets together-- note that you can use your press's shell holder inside the bullet puller instead of the little collets they include with the hammer.

Also, make sure you tap on a block of wood, something with some "give." If you wack away at concrete, it'll shatter eventually.

One of these hammer-type bullet pullers is essential at every reloading bench.
Old December 28, 2008, 05:35 PM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

Warning

Use the collet. Don't use a shell holder. That has been known to cause catastrophic powder-driven spontaneous disassembly. The story linked to from within the above link, and some subsequent photos I did after I found where I'd hidden my Quinetics puller (but have not yet organized to post) have convinced all the moderators at the Shooters Forum to cease the practice. A couple of members kept arguing it wasn't really possible, but I've got good proof now that it is. Just need to finish illustrating how it occurs. The stars have to line up just wrong, so it isn't common, but it can happen.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; December 28, 2008 at 05:41 PM.
Old December 28, 2008, 05:38 PM   #7
Tom-C

Sevens,

Like everything there is a trick to putting the cartridge in the holder. Rimless go in from the bottom and are removed by continuing in the same direction. Rimed go in from the top and are removed in same way as the rimless.

Tom-C
Old December 28, 2008, 06:46 PM   #8
D. Manley

Quote:
Warning

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Use the collet. Don't use a shell holder. That has been known to cause catastrophic powder-driven spontaneous disassembly. The story linked to from within the above link, and some subsequent photos I did after I found where I'd hidden my Quinetics puller (but have not yet organized to post) have convinced all the moderators at the Shooters Forum to cease the practice. A couple of members kept arguing it wasn't really possible, but I've got good proof now that it is. Just need to finish illustrating how it occurs. The stars have to line up just wrong, so it isn't common, but it can happen.
That was a very interesting and enlightening read. I knew there was some good reason I put up with the cussed "O-Ring" collets. Even then, I've never felt entirely comfortable using the kinetic pullers. I have the Hornady Cam-Lock collet-style for most calibers and (mercifully) only use a kinetic on a "one-sy" now & then. Thanks for the link...
Old December 28, 2008, 07:59 PM   #9
rn22723

The Cam Lock is great for pulling bullets, but the collet type is not always going be able to latch onto the bullet.....so having a kinetic type around is a matter of necessity....
Old December 28, 2008, 08:08 PM   #10
The Terminator

I have the Frankford Arsenal puller, it works great, but I have about 80 count 308's that i need to pull, so I ordered the RCBS collet puller, with collets for the 308 and the 45/70. The Frankford puller will sling a little powder around, it escapes when using it.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=680804

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=284323
John 3:16 (I hope to see You over there.)
Old December 28, 2008, 08:15 PM   #11
HiBC

If you are not concerned about re-using the bullets,I have been known to use the press,a shellholder,and a pair of pliers.With no die in the press raise the press so the bullet shows ,grab it with pliers,lower press,bullet pulls.

Wear eye protection.As the round is not contained inside anything,if any "going off" occured,little pressure/destruction would result.
Old December 28, 2008, 09:00 PM   #12
The_Vigilante

I was initially using the Frankford Arsenal bullet puller using Lee shellholders without incident. Have you ever tried to put one of those little collets together using a small O-ring? That's why we use the shellholders. Anyway I recently purchased an RCBS bullet puller with collet for use with my single stage press. Really nice. Only cons-you have to purchase a collet for each caliber and it doesn't pull lead bullets mostly. Anybody know of a bullet puller (besides kinetic) that will pull lead bullets?
Old December 28, 2008, 09:01 PM   #13
The Terminator

There is a plier type of bullet puller made, and it looks like it would work with a press.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=145946

John 3:16 (I hope to see You over there.)
Old December 28, 2008, 09:42 PM   #14
The_Vigilante

The Terminator,

Thanks for the suggestion-they look like they may work for lead-won't know until I give them a try. Has anyone else in the Forums used these? Review?