The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 16, 2012, 11:23 PM   #1
LockedBreech

What's the point of an open-trigger holster?

Okay, this is a very dumb question, but I've wondered it for a long time. Those holsters that expose the trigger? What's the point? I understand with a revolver, because those usually have a strap restraining the hammer (my late grandpa's Colt Detective Special has a very neat holster of this variety). But I saw one for a Ruger LCP (hammer, yes, but not exposed or user-accessible) and it baffled me. Trigger security is the only reason I use a holster on a CCW method. If I could ever be guaranteed nothing at all would snag in the trigger, I'd just bare-pocket it.

So...yeah. Dumb, simple question. Why bother with a holster that takes away the biggest advantage of a holster?
Old July 16, 2012, 11:40 PM   #2
Creeper

A CCW holster? What gun(s) is this trigger guard-less holster made for?

Cheers,
C
Old July 16, 2012, 11:41 PM   #3
LockedBreech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creeper View Post
A CCW holster? What gun(s) is this trigger guard-less holster made for?

Cheers,
C
In this case it was called a "Shoot-Through" for the Ruger LCP. Saw it looking at LCP stuff on Amazon.com

Edit: "Shoot-Thru" by Cardini Leather
Old July 16, 2012, 11:49 PM   #4
Creeper

Ahhhhh... now I get it. A screwed on, wallet holster. Completely forgot about those. Yeah... those have been around for as long as itty bitty guns have been around. Not so much an idea for quick draw, more deep concealment.

Cheers,
C
Old July 17, 2012, 12:40 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

In another day, a fast draw with a DA revolver meant that the finger was through the trigger guard and on the trigger before the gun even began to come out of the holster. I once had a movie of my draw (Model 19) showing the hammer halfway back while the gun was still at a 45 degree angle, coming up on the target. Today, that technique would probably get me thrown off the range, but I never put bullets anywhere but in the target.

Jim
Old July 17, 2012, 10:50 PM   #6
langenc

Just something to carry the gun on your belt with.
Old July 17, 2012, 11:21 PM   #7
farmerboy

sounds like a accident waiting to happen
Old July 18, 2012, 01:17 AM   #8
Sixer

Quote:
sounds like a accident waiting to happen
This. Just a bad idea. I think that in some states, holsters like the "shoot thru" and others that allow you to fire the weapn while holsterd are considered "AOW's".

-There is no theory of evolution... Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Old July 18, 2012, 03:59 AM   #9
jughead2

open trigger

been carrying with one since mid 90s with no problems so far. they are getting hard to find though. and will continue to as long as i can find one.
Old July 18, 2012, 06:05 AM   #10
Master Blaster 2

This area is a bit complicated. A pistol, to be a "pistol, under federal law, must also have a handle ("short stock") set at an angle to the barrel, and below the barrel. Therefore, the law currently does not define a pen gun as an NFA weapon because the gun is hinged, and the hinged portion is designed to be bent away from the barrel before it can fire. Thus, the hinged portion becomes the "Handle" which is set below, and at an angle to the barrel. In April 2005 when ATF applied to change the defination of "pistol" to eliminate pen guns, wallet guns, belt buckle guns, and pager guns, the chnage would affect 27 CFR 479.11, but to date - nothing's happened. Assuming your once legal firearm suddenly becomes an NFA weapon, you will have a grace period to register it as "any other weapon". So, for now, you're OK. To make it simple, if you have any weapon that discharges a shell by use of an explosive, the weapon can be concealed on your person, and that weapon does not hve the normal configuration of a pistol or revolver - it probably is "any other weapon" under federal law. Similiarly, a derringer that can be fired from within a concealing holster becomes "any other weapon" only when placed in such a holster, (wallet Gun), because the angled grip extending from the barrel is no longer visible. Same thing with a gun rigged to be discharged from inside a briefcase. As long as the handle is set at an angle slightly below the barrel. Even that slight angled grip to the barrel brought it within the definition of a pistol, according an ATF ruling. However, if the definition ever changes - it"s "any other weapon". So, if you have a derringer with a special wallet holster, are you illegal? Sort of! Once you put the two together ATF says you consider then as a "unit". The unit has now lost the "angled grip" it should have to be a pistol. You have a potential ten year federal felony! 26USC 5871. Hope this helps. It is a lot to digest and it is not worth the hassel.
Nick

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Desantis-Poc...item4845fb98af