The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 31, 2015, 10:55 PM   #1
got ammo?

Hi Point carbine blackens brass

I have a 5 yr old Hi-Point 9mm 995st carbine bought NIB. Now, before I get cracked on for having a Hi Point, Let me say the gun functions well, 1 or two jams in five years, is accurate enough, no tack driver but will make 5 round 2.5 inch groups at 30 yards. My concern is the last time I took it to the range, I noticed scorch marks on the ejected 9mm brass, all near the rim and in one spot. I was shooting PMC bronze that day. I should have saved or taken photos of the burnt cases but didn't think of it at the time, I scooped them up and canned them in the brass bucket, as there was a T storm rolling up on the range. anyone have any ideas on what the scorch marks are about?
Old January 31, 2015, 11:20 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Normally black marks on brass indicates a low power load, where the pressure is not great enough to fully obturate (expand) the brass to seal off the cartridge case. It will normally occur at the top of the case, where there is a gap due to gravity holding the case at the bottom of the chamber. But that carbon marking usually shows up at the front of the case, not back toward the rim.

I think the first thing to do is try another brand of ammo and see if the problem persists.

Jim
Old January 31, 2015, 11:44 PM   #3
got ammo?

Thanks Jim, I could have worded that better, I did mean the opening of the case, not the actual rim of the cartridge. And, come to think of it, I did notice more gun powder residue than usual in the breech after this particular shooting session.

Last edited by got ammo?; January 31, 2015 at 11:52 PM.
Old February 1, 2015, 05:22 AM   #4
Snyper

That just sound like weak loads

Clean the chamber well and try some hotter ammo and it should go away
Old February 1, 2015, 11:02 AM   #5
Tidewater_Kid

The best ammo I ever fired in my HiPoint 995 was the Blazer aluminum 9mm. Never had a jam and the stuff was $3.50 a box. Fired thousands of rounds of it. Brass cased ammo has never worked as well. Winchester white box and gun show reloads always show signs of blow-by. I miss the days of the cheap Blazer 9mm.

TK
Old February 1, 2015, 11:38 AM   #6
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

I'd try new ammo first. Most all pistols will show some at the front, especially if they have a short breech locking time. If the case doesn't expand over low pressure rounds, then the black will continue over the length of the cartridge.
Old February 2, 2015, 12:13 AM   #7
Emerson Biggies

I've got a 995 too. I have only seen soot near the mouth of the brass when working up (weak) loads. On the other hand, the gun is a blow back operated weapon and the recoil spring might be weak? If other brands of ammo still cause the cases to look like you are burning coal, you might write to the company. The guarantee is ironclad lifetime and they stand behind their product.

Now if I could find any box of ammo for $3.50.... watchout!
Old February 6, 2015, 03:46 AM   #8
chris in va

I had a HiPoint carbine, the black brass is normal. Blowback carbines pull the brass out before the powder is fully combusted and you get the dirty brass.

My CX4 does the same thing.