The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 8, 2001, 10:14 PM   #1
parabellum9x19

#Is the Monadnock autolock batons the best?

Is the Monadnock autolock batons the best?

http://www.police-batons.com/mlp/AutoLock/index.html

I have seen ASPs that get stuck.
Old September 9, 2001, 01:54 AM   #2
David Park

I don't have any personal experience with the Autolock models, but I've heard they are very nice.

Advantages (vs. ASP):
- easy to close, no pounding on floors or walls
- maybe slightly better quality

Disadvantages:
- expensive
- no lightweight version (that I'm aware of)

The Monadnock also has a rubber "safety tip" whereas the ASP has a metal tip. Which is better depends on the intended use. The ASP model that seems to get stuck most often is the airweight version. Apparently it has something to do with the contact between the different metals (steel tip section and aluminum body).

Basically, if you think push-button closing is worth the extra cost, get the Autolock.
Old September 9, 2001, 07:01 AM   #3
jadams951

Well, I just switched over from the ASP 26" baton to the Monadnock auto lock baton with the Hindi Baton cap. I'm glad I made the switch. I had no problems with the ASP and it is a good baton. The auto lock baton is a bit heavier than the ASP and does take getting used to. Also, it is a bit longer when not extended and does take a bit more room on your belt. At least for me cause I'm skinny and don't have much more room. The power safety tip was designed to focus more energy to the tip. Also, on the ASP baton, the tip got beat up and scratched and all rough from having to beat the ASP baton on the ground to get it to retract. Officers were finding out that with the rough edge on the tip the ASP would get after all that banging on hard surfaces that it would cut skin when used as an impact weapon because of the rough surface on the tip. Once I got practice drawing with the autolock baton I have been able to get much faster on the draw and extension than on the ASP. Also, with the ASP I have had the "friction lock" come loose while using in defense. The autolock baton stays in place once locked.
Old September 9, 2001, 07:51 AM   #4
KPS

I carry an ASP and have not had any problems with it.I chose it over the Monadnock because it was shorter.I am a civilian and carry it for less-lethal use.I like the idea of the power safety tip and wish it was a little shorter.However I don't draw it very often and so the tip isn't that bad right now.For LEO's I think the Monadnock would be much better and more reliable.As soon as Monadnock makes an autolock 21" that is 8" then I will surely buy one.
Old September 9, 2001, 09:40 PM   #5
parabellum9x19

I read on many posts that the ASP airweights have problems. They get stuck open or even bend. I have personally seen a stuck steel ASP that won't retract when the tip was pounded on with a hammer to try to close it.

Who has the best prices on Monadnock auto lock batons?
Old September 9, 2001, 10:32 PM   #6
Coronach

Our dept just switched to the autolocks with the hindi endcap. no reported uses- yet.

First impression is that they seem VERY sweet. I think they balance better than the standard batons. I have not yet been issued mine.

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old September 9, 2001, 10:49 PM   #7
Morgan

I really like my Autolock. Department issue is 18", I think, but I bought a 21" on my dime. It balances well, and has held up well in some pretty rigorous testing. I've not had to use it yet...
Old September 10, 2001, 04:45 AM   #8
parabellum9x19

I thought the smallest was a 21". Where can you buy an 18" Monadnock auto lock baton?
Old September 10, 2001, 04:48 AM   #9
parabellum9x19

This is the info I found on the internet about sizes but there's no mention of an 18":

With the growing popularity of the original model, the AutoLock-21 (cat. #9020), we have decided to expand the line by adding two new models to the AutoLock family of batons, the AutoLock-22 with Power Safety Tip (cat. #9030) and the AutoLock-26 (cat. #9021).

The AutoLock-22 combines the advantages of the AutoLock with the advantages of our Officer Series Batons. It consists of the AutoLock-21 with the large, hard rubber Power Safety Tip that was first introduced with the Officer Series. This not only increases the length of the baton but also the weight and feel of the baton, making it more effective when performing strikes.

The AutoLock-26 is similar to the original AutoLock with the exception of its length. In response to the overwhelming demand for a longer AutoLock we now offer it in a 26-inch length.

http://www.police-batons.com/mlp/AutoLock/index.html
Old September 10, 2001, 07:12 AM   #10
jadams951

Mine is the 26 inch model. I like to try and be as far away as possible when engaged with someone. Luckily, it hardly ever happens!!!!!
Old September 10, 2001, 09:51 AM   #11
Erich

I like mine.

That's a strong lock that Monodnock puts on those things. It can bear my 200# easily. Nice for thrust work.
Old September 10, 2001, 10:28 AM   #12
Morgan

Parabellum - Sorry, I mis-stated. I purchased the 26", issue is 21".