The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 6, 2019, 04:21 PM   #1
ThomasT

Model 10 Nickle Plated

My mother worked for the Tarrant County Sheriffs office for around 18 years and carried a Nickle Plated S&W model 10 at work. She is 83 and decided she didn't want it around the house anymore and wanted me to take it with me.

So now I have a new model 10-8. This is the only nickle plated gun I own. It was grungy but cleaned up fine. I also got two boxes of ammo. In those two boxes was 18 Nyclads, 7 Glaser Safety Slugs and 2 Silver tips. These are rounds I don't think I will shoot but will save. Thanks mom.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 012.JPG (112.1 KB, 537 views)
File Type: jpg 013.JPG (116.3 KB, 517 views)
File Type: jpg 015.JPG (135.8 KB, 529 views)
Old November 6, 2019, 05:27 PM   #2
shurshot

Nice present! Love that nickel finish!!
Those Nyclads ... I have 6 of those rounds still loaded in my old Police trade in model 10, loaded with that late 80's vintage ammo. Perfect fit!
Old November 6, 2019, 06:21 PM   #3
RVER

Be cautious if you use Hoppes to clean your Nickle plated gun. Hoppes attacks copper residue. Back in the day they used copper in the process of applying nickel finishes. Great family heirloom!!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old November 7, 2019, 01:44 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

Geezuz! Mom really knows how to care for her stuff. Nickle usually flakes off.
"...they used copper..." Usually copper plated then nickle plated.
Old November 7, 2019, 02:44 PM   #5
SIGSHR

Yes, do NOT soak nickle in Hoppe's.
Old November 7, 2019, 02:49 PM   #6
Bill DeShivs

S&W did not use a copper underplate.
Even with a copper underplate-unless you soak your gun in Hoppes, it won't hurt it.
Just clean it and wipe the Hoppes off the surface.
This old wives' tale comes from improperly cleaning guns that were aftermarket-plated in bumper chrome shops.
As usual, T. is wrong.
Old November 7, 2019, 04:35 PM   #7
lunger

Nice gift and revolver. Coming from Mom makes it priceless.
Old November 7, 2019, 08:25 PM   #8
ThomasT

Even if Hoppes at one time would damage nickle plating it was probably the old formula that would cause cancer in lab rats in California and they changed the formula to what we have now.

Moral of the story. Don't clean chrome plated lab rats with old formula Hoppes.
Old November 7, 2019, 08:28 PM   #9
ThomasT

I cleaned the gun once more with Turtle Wax polish that removes scratches per the can. I also dug around and found some diamond center Magna grips and put those on it. I think it looks better.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.JPG (113.1 KB, 407 views)
File Type: jpg 002.JPG (106.8 KB, 402 views)
Old November 9, 2019, 06:51 AM   #10
J.G. Terry

Old time Hoppes #9

There is all vintages of Hoppe's #9 about. The instructions were pretty clear about not using on a nickle finish. Many years ago there was a piece in one of the gun magazines. A reader wrote in about flaking nickle after using #9. One of the sachems there suggested the he read the instructions.
Old November 18, 2019, 02:26 PM   #11
SGW Gunsmith

That's a very nice gift your Mom presented to you. Glad to see you got it rather than some dude trying to learn engraving.

I wouldn't soak it in any solvents either, but give a call to a local jeweler ( professional sort ) and ask them what they'd recommend for cleaning nickel plating. I think you'll get a very accurate and more professional answer, rather than from a hobbiest.
Old November 18, 2019, 02:29 PM   #12
SGW Gunsmith

"There is all vintages of Hoppe's #9 about. The instructions were pretty clear about not using on a nickle finish. Many years ago there was a piece in one of the gun magazines. A reader wrote in about flaking nickle after using #9. One of the sachems there suggested the he read the instructions".

Excellent advice!
Old November 18, 2019, 03:03 PM   #13
SGW Gunsmith

"Geezuz! Mom really knows how to care for her stuff. Nickle usually flakes off.
"...they used copper..." Usually copper plated then nickle plated."

Mr. O'Heir makes a very good point. Here is some information from a "PROFESSIONAL" plating firm and how copper plating fits in:

Electroless nickel plating is a much more simple process to apply, quick and cheap to do.
Old November 18, 2019, 03:36 PM   #14
Bill DeShivs

I have done quite a bit of nickel plating-along with other metals. I'm also a trained jeweler-still involved with the jewelry business.

I watched the whole Hoppes/nickel thing unfold in the 1970s. Aftermarket nickel and chrome plating was all the rage, and much of it was done in automotive bumper plating shops. Almost exclusively, these shops used a copper underplate. These plating jobs were not usually done well and the nickel was thin or porous. Hoppes was the standard gun cleaning solution. The combination of bad plating, copper underplate, poor maintenance saw the aftermarket nickel plating flaking.
Most, if not all gun manufacturers did NOT use a copper underplate-so Hoppe's didn't affect those guns. Rather than try to explain all of this, Hoppes just added a warning not to use their product on nickeled guns.

Last edited by Bill DeShivs; November 19, 2019 at 02:54 AM.
Old November 21, 2019, 10:31 AM   #15
walnut1704

Very nice! That nickel really helps protect the gun.

Nickel is like the poor man's stainless. I bought a nickel model 15-4 in 1979 and it has been a faithful bedside companion for forty years. Looks the same as when I bought it.

I really wanted a Model 67 or 64 but stainless S&W's were always hard to get in those days. I ran into the new nickel Model 15 in a pawn shop and went with it.

S&W gave Law Enforcement dibs on whatever they wanted and various agencies were sucking up all the stainless production. I never even saw a Model 67 until many years later. The nickel worked just fine.