The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 6, 2021, 02:48 PM   #1
MelodiousFulmination

6.5 AR-10 Deer Rifle. Thoughts?

I've had the idea a 22" AR-10 6.5 Creedmoor build for a while. I figure with a carbon fiber handguard, lightweight stock, and at heaviest a medium weight fluted barrel, I should be able to keep it near the 7.5 lb weight range pre-scope.

Anyone have any experience with a build like this? I really like the idea, but it does seem like a lot of cash and hassle to end up with a rifle barely at an acceptable weight for it's cartridge and barrel length compared to a bolt action, especially considering how rare parts are currently.
Just fishing for thoughts.
Old January 6, 2021, 09:27 PM   #2
Scorch

Weight would be my main concern for a hunting. My apprentice built an AR15 in 6.5 Grendel for a deer rifle, and used the lightest components he could find. It still came in at over 7.5 lbs. AR10 receivers are heavy, so your barrel will be a pencil barrel and a light forearm in order to keep the weight within a resonable limit. Most of the AR10s I see come into my shop weigh closer to 9 lbs, many over 10 lbs. Once you get your rifle planned out, add up the weight of all the components. My guess is you will find the rifle to come in much heavier than a comparable bolt action rifle.
Old January 6, 2021, 09:34 PM   #3
doofus47

My 6.5 Grendel was feather light until I put the glass on top.
I think that a 6.5 AR10 would be a bit heavy for deer hunting if you're mounting a scope and toting it very far.
I have a 6.5 bolt action with a 22" barrel that is pretty light even with the 3x-9 scope on top. 6.5 will definitely do the job, probably with just one shot.
Old January 7, 2021, 07:55 PM   #4
bamaranger

rifles

Building your rifle 'cause you want to is perfectly fine. But practically speaking, you could have a entirely functional 6.5 CM bolt rifle for a whole lot less cash, and probably end up being lighter as well. Something like the Ruger Predator can be bought and modestly scoped reasonably .
Old January 9, 2021, 11:05 AM   #5
eugenesan

I agree with previous posters, especially nowadays when acquiring parts is extremely difficult, bolt action would be a much easier solution.

But, if you prefer a semi-auto (like I do) I suggest checking 300ham'r from Wilson Combat. Their factory rifles/uppers are great and you can build one from scratch to be very light. My build is 4.7lbs before optic and is as accurate as I can be.
Old January 9, 2021, 01:20 PM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

If you're going to do something else with the rifle, other than the "joy of building", fine.

Otherwise I see no point to adding the weigh, bulk, and complexity of any AR to deer hunting.
Old January 10, 2021, 09:45 AM   #7
44caliberkid

Other than target shooting, the only thing my 308 AR, 20 inch barrel, is good for would be defending a fortified position, fixed position covering a specific field of fire. (Deer stand?) I would hate to carry the thing farther than from the car to the firing line.