The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 2, 2021, 09:15 AM   #1
l.cutler

Taurus TH9c

Now, I don't plan on starting a Taurus love them or hate them war, but... I am thinking of a DA/SA 9mm. The size and capacity of the Taurus TH9c really appeal to me. Now I am not totally against giving the Taurus a shot but was just wondering about options. Unless I am missing something there just doesn't seem to be much in this size/capacity range. Any other options I can consider?
Old January 2, 2021, 11:10 AM   #2
sigarms228

The HK P2000 is around the same size but will cost quite a bit more. A little larger would be the CZ P07 and not as much price gap especially is you can find one used. Both are very highly regarded pistols.

I don't know as much about them but SAR most likely has comparable pistols in CZ clones and a closer price point if you can find any these days. I think there are also other manufacturers of compact CZ clones, such as EAA? maybe, but SAR is the one that comes to mind right now and something like that would definitely be my choice over the Taurus. You might want to look at the Bersa pistol line too as they may have something comparable though I don't have any experiences with Bersa.

https://grabagun.com/firearms/handgu...st_order=price

Last edited by sigarms228; January 2, 2021 at 11:20 AM.
Old January 2, 2021, 12:06 PM   #3
l.cutler

I really like that HK! I did check out the P07 and the Beretta PX4 storm compact, they are both a little bigger but I definitely would not rule them out.
Old January 2, 2021, 12:43 PM   #4
Mosin44az

I think sig228 has covered the choices, which aren’t many.

I own and can vouch for CZ P07 which was around 400 before COVID. SAR B6P,
I rented one and it was well made. There’s a compact version also, the B6C. Price definitely competitive.

Taurus quality has supposedly improved but I’m not sure it’s across the board or just for the G2/G3 models. Still don’t know if their service is any faster.
Old January 2, 2021, 12:54 PM   #5
HistoryJunky

My only experience is with the P07. I have owned one for 5 or so years now and it is a great handgun.

Accurate, reliable, and comfortable to shoot.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old January 2, 2021, 07:37 PM   #6
bjw741

Bersa TPR9C is very similar to the Taurus TH9c.

https://bersa.eagleimportsinc.com/bersa/tpr9c-matte
Old January 2, 2021, 07:39 PM   #7
l.cutler

Yes, the Bersa is very much like it, don't know how I missed that one, thanks.
Old January 3, 2021, 11:30 AM   #8
l.cutler

Well hopefully one day in the future, I'll be able to get my hands on a few of these before I decide!
Old January 3, 2021, 09:06 PM   #9
bjw741

If you don't mind dropping down to 8+1 capacity (or 9+1 with the extended mag) the Springfield XDe 3.3 is another similar size DA/SA option. And because it is a single stack, its only 1" wide. I have one and like it a lot.

https://www.springfield-armory.com/x...k-9mm-handgun/
Old January 5, 2021, 08:14 PM   #10
TruthTellers

Lot of options out there for DA/SA 9mm's, just depends on what you're willing to pay. Taurus is on the lower end of price and I don't view that as bad because Taurus semi autos are good quality for the money.

You do know that the 17 rd mag with the compact is from using a full size mag, yes?

I've thought about these TH pistols as I'm in the middle of a DA/SA phase and would like a Beretta Px4 if I could find one under 500, but that's mostly because of the rotary barrel in conjunction with the DA/SA.