The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 27, 2020, 04:15 PM   #1
stan5677

Montana Rifle Co

In a previous post I said I was in the market for a new rifle. Montana Rifle Co is on that list but since they are out of business what are people's impression of them. I know if I get one and need warranty service I'm SOL.
Old December 27, 2020, 04:35 PM   #2
Nathan

Good actions...For some reason the rifles never came together as sub 1/2 moa shooters. I’m guessing the barrels and bedding weren’t good enough. They are likely a decent deal at the $1200-$1500 you can find them for, but do check them over real good before buying as you will own it.

They are an M70 clone, but not sure if close enough to share parts. I would ask a hunting rifle smith that question. Risk might be pretty low if you can use m70 parts.
Old December 27, 2020, 09:14 PM   #3
taylorce1

Heavy rifles, nicely made though. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one for the right price, $600-800 range.
Old December 27, 2020, 11:54 PM   #4
stan5677

Not really worried bout it shooting 1/2 Moa. 1 Moa is fine with based on my skills.
Old December 28, 2020, 02:16 AM   #5
Scorch

Montana Rifle Company made Model 70 clones, not close enough for most of the parts to fit, but a good rifle. They are not really known as sub-MOA shooters due to their lack of good bedding (they used thermoplastic bedding compound like Winchester and Browning) and their barrels, but they are good solid hunting rifles. Well made custom rifles with a lot of options for less than the cost of a lot of other custom rifles, but more than the cost of a factory rifle. They never really caught on, partly because they were never marketed well (I think I only ever saw maybe 2 or 3 ads for them in 30+ years), partly because they were more expensive than other available options (they were about twice the price of a Model 70). If you find one, don't pay too much for it. I think a fair price would be about what you might pay for a Model 70. One of my customers bought a Montana Rifle in 375 last year for his wife, paid about $900 IIRC.
Old December 29, 2020, 11:25 PM   #6
dvdcrr

They have a cast receiver, I didn't like the sloppy feel of the safety. The bedding was very thin and not real even. They have coned breech or some such thing. Rifle was OK accurate, I think I had to clean up the barrel channel. They use the old school Win 70 trigger. I go the impression they were "playing" rifle builder. Mine was a 270 WSM and the rifle would not reliably feed, while my Kimber would feed just fine. I couldn't recommend a Montana at the price point nor several hundred below given the options out there.
"All warfare is based on deception. Hence when we are able to attack we must seem unable....when using our forces we must appear inactive. When we are near we must make the enemy believe we are far away."Sun Tzu The Art of War.