The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 17, 2020, 12:26 PM   #1
Prof Young

Impromptu hearing protection . . .

I made it to my hunting blind last week and realized I didn't have hearing protection with me. Long way back to the truck so . . . and I already have on and off tinnitus in one ear so . . . .

I had a big bandana with me, one of those monster sized ones sold by Duluth. I cut off a few inches of opposing corners. Rolled those into a torpedo shape, stuffed my ears and then tied the rest of the bandana around my ears/head like an old fashioned "do rag."

Snapping my fingers next to my head told me that I'd cut down on the db level quit a bit.

Unfortunately, it turned out that day that I didn't need any hearing protection at all. No deer, no shots taken.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old December 17, 2020, 12:37 PM   #2
BarryLee

When I got my first gun (.44mag) a friend and I hiked about a mile up the railroad tracks to a very isolated large embankment to shoot. After the first shot we realize hearing protection was greatly needed. This was the first time I was glad my buddy smoked as we used cigarette filters. They were unused, so not too gross and we found two filters unrolled and rerolled in each ear worked fine.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old December 17, 2020, 12:46 PM   #3
ballardw

I have seen fired 5.56 cases used in a pinch though the appearance is odd at best.
Old December 17, 2020, 12:58 PM   #4
Shadow9mm

Just be careful. Have had inmates at my work roll up toilet paper for ear plugs. had a couple over the years have it go way down and get fibers lodged and get infected. Personally I would go with the retained in ear type. you could hang on your gear or neck so as not to forget them. I also always keep a spare pair in the glove box just in case.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...DOIq8&usqp=CAc
Old December 17, 2020, 01:57 PM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Not "impromptu," but related to hearing protection: Who makes those around-the-neck ear plugs that Hicock45 uses?

Back to the topic: I have heard of using cotton balls as improvised ear plugs. I have tried it informally, using a finger snap as a test, and it seems to have some effect -- but I haven't tried it in actual shooting conditions with live ammo.
Jeepaholic
Old December 17, 2020, 02:04 PM   #6
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post
Not "impromptu," but related to hearing protection: Who makes those around-the-neck ear plugs that Hicock45 uses?

Back to the topic: I have heard of using cotton balls as improvised ear plugs. I have tried it informally, using a finger snap as a test, and it seems to have some effect -- but I haven't tried it in actual shooting conditions with live ammo.
Howard Leight I think. there are several that make similar ones. Only a 25db reduction. I prefer 27 to 32, but for quick use, hunting, 1 shot, I would use them

amazon link
https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-Sho...%2C217&sr=8-11
Old December 17, 2020, 11:12 PM   #7
Prof Young

Your first gun was a what?

BarryLee:
Your FIRST gun was a 44 mag? Wow. There's gotta be a story there.

Life is good
Prof Young
Old December 18, 2020, 05:16 AM   #8
BarryLee

Quote:
Your FIRST gun was a 44 mag? Wow. There's gotta be a story there.
I was considering a handgun purchase, so a coworker took me to a local range and I fell in love with his Ruger Super Blackhawk. So, in my unlimited 21 year old wisdom I decided this should be first gun. I loved shooting the gun, but quickly realized it wasn't the best for carry. Since my finances were not as unlimited as my wisdom I sold it and purchased a Colt 1911 which stared an entirely different love affair.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old December 18, 2020, 05:31 AM   #9
1goodshot

Cigarette butts.