The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 20, 2013, 02:04 PM   #26
lefteye

I thought it was obvious that I was referring to new scopes. IDENTICAL new scopes have the same quality, the same MSRP and generally very similar retail price. Used scopes are quite different and each is, more or less, unique so the value of a used scope is, more or less, unique to the particular scope.

I used the word direct to state the matter quickly and simply. I did not mean a constant 1:1 ratio. Rather, I meant there is a strong, positive relationship between the prices and quality of new products in "competitive" markets such as scopes using the obvious example of Nightforce and Simmons.

I did not suggest that one should spend more on the scope than the rifle. In fact I suggested the purchase of a lower power range variable scope was, in my opinion, preferable to paying more for a larger, higher power range scope. I offered an example of the Leupold, a brand with similar models in different price ranges.
Old December 20, 2013, 04:08 PM   #27
ntg

I agree that there's some really good scopes in the $200-300 range. I got a Bushnell Legend HD (with mil-dot) earlier this year and I've been quite impressed for the $$ spent. The current Trophy line is fairly good too, IMO. I wouldn't buy the Banners...the trophy line is just a little more but worth it.
Old December 20, 2013, 06:58 PM   #28
pathdoc

I'm following this thread eagerly because I'm trying to talk myself into "needing" (read "wanting") a new scope for hunting, and the message I'm getting is that even if there are better scopes out there, one cannot go too far wrong with Leupold if one wants a reliable product.
Old December 20, 2013, 07:36 PM   #29
lefteye

I have been satisfied with my Leupold scopes, but there are several other brands that match or, in some cases, exceed the quality and price of Leupold. I recommend studying the products and customer reviews on the websites of the well-known big retailers.
Old December 20, 2013, 10:05 PM   #30
MoGas1341

Leupold makes some great scopes and they now produce Redfield which is another good suggestion. (lifetime warranties on both) 3rd, maybe a Nikon Prostaff? They all run around $125 or so and work very well. Possibly if you want to scrounge a bit, find a vintage Redfield (pre 70s) floating around on Gunbroker or something. They had crystal clear glass on them an hold a 0 very well. I personally have one on my pre-64 Model 70 30-06, and it works great.
Old December 21, 2013, 01:04 PM   #31
FireForged

I like Lucid 2X red dot
Old December 21, 2013, 06:55 PM   #32
pathdoc

Lefteye - I agree completely. My point was to confirm or deny my belief that they are a "safe" purchase, and that it would be difficult to do badly with Leupold even if one could, with reasonable effort put into research, do better.
Old December 21, 2013, 07:52 PM   #33
lefteye

I would not consider it a mistake to buy a Leupold scope that fits your needs (both shooting and financial) without careful consideration of alternatives, especially if you currently know very little about those alternatives and don't feel a personal necessity to research them.
Old January 3, 2014, 03:40 PM   #34
baddarryl

Quote:
Nitrex. $100. They were $300. Discontinued, so when they're gone, they're gone. Weaver is covering the warranty.
+1000. Made in Japan by Weaver. Available from Natchez.