The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 10, 2021, 10:17 PM   #1
Lhigginsqrb

Tristar hunter mag 2

Does anyone here own one of these? I want an o/u that shoots 3.5 rounds and this is all I’m seeing. I hunt, I’m not looking for an expensive gun to scratch up.

The last time I looked at Tristar was 3-5 years ago and the selectors in the store models were crappy. One actually jammed. I was looking at the 400-500 dollar models.
Old August 12, 2021, 06:50 PM   #2
Lhigginsqrb

Well I’ve bid on one. We”ll see I guess.
Old August 13, 2021, 07:37 AM   #3
Seedy Character

The Remington SPR is in your price range. It is a semi-auto. Shoots 3 1/2", 3", field load 2 3/4". Haven't tried it with game loads.

This is an outstanding gun. Looking forward to goose season. Also, turkey and pheasant.
Old August 15, 2021, 03:04 PM   #4
Lhigginsqrb

I’ve saw plenty of semi autos on the market with the 3.5” capability. I’m looking specifically for an over and under. I have a few reasons for it. Mostly wanting to have two different chokes on the gun at once. I also do reloading so the over and under makes it easier to keep the hulls. I also don’t have to worry as much about the pressure of the loads sense this barrel is rated higher than the standard barrels.
Old August 15, 2021, 06:50 PM   #5
FITASC

I would be REAL leery of any O/U that cheap.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 16, 2021, 08:10 AM   #6
Lhigginsqrb

Fit. Everyone says that for the past 10 years which is why I haven’t bought the gun. I’m not carrying a $1500 gun into the woods or on the water. I was asking here to see if anyone actually had one of these in their hands to tell me how they perform. All I’m getting is that people who don’t own them wouldn’t buy them. I’ve read plenty of reviews were people who do own them are very happy with them. So anyway I bought the thing and I’ll let you guys know how it turns out.
Old August 16, 2021, 08:54 AM   #7
Virginian

Opening a long barreled 12 gauge O/U in a blind is such fun. If you buy a cheap anything and expect flawless performance with out some additional skilled attention you are in for disappointment.
Old August 16, 2021, 03:33 PM   #8
Seedy Character

Grandson bought a Yildiz O/U 12ga 3". $380
Got it for 4H skeet team. Used it for dove and turkey.
It has performed flawlessly, for the time.
Will see how it is in 20 years.
He is very happy, so far.
Old August 17, 2021, 05:34 PM   #9
Lhigginsqrb

Nice to hear seedy. I think a good portion of our people here do a lot more shooting than someone like me or maybe you. There are years where I don’t fire 100 rounds.
Old August 19, 2021, 07:05 PM   #10
Seedy Character

Was a time I shot 10-12 boxes of shotgun, every weekend. Now, 4-6 boxes per month.

A monthly Cowboy shoot is 300 rounds of pistol.

Rifle is 60-100 rounds per month.

Grandkids will burn through 1000 rounds of .22LR. More, if I bring it or let them.