The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 5, 2021, 08:05 AM   #1
baddarryl

Setting up Browning BPS for Trap?

Hi all. I am just beginning the game of Trap. I have shot clays recreationally off and on all of my life. As with many things I am discovering maybe I wasn't shown properly thus my inconsistency. I plan to develop on my own as much as I can and also hone in with some Club Trap meets. I have shot one before Covid and did OK.

I have read about fit and how to lead them etc. I have a Browning BPS 12 ga that I believe fits me better than any other. I bought a Bear Creek slip cover to raise the Comb specifically for Trap. I guess my question is how do I know how to raise it to get optimal fit for this game? I am 5"8" and 165 lbs give or take. It has several inserts to adjust height. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 3D5FA523-C8D7-4151-BABE-0634C607FAEF.jpeg (53.8 KB, 36 views)
Old August 5, 2021, 11:43 AM   #2
FITASC

Trap guns are typically designed to shoot high, about 70/30. To check that, you would go and shoot at a pattern board/plate (Some clubs use plate steel, others use a frame with big sheets of paper). Shoot for the center as you mount the gun and see where the pattern is. If you can't get the comb set up, then you will have to "cover" the bird as you pull the trigger - typically done with a flat shooting field version gun.
Not only will the pattern board show you where the pattern is in relation to high/low, it will also show you if it is hitting too far right or left or if it is centered.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 5, 2021, 01:44 PM   #3
baddarryl

Do you mean 70% above point of aim? Also what choke generally for 16 yd Trap? Thanks
Old August 5, 2021, 03:22 PM   #4
stuckinthe60s

are you hitting them hard now or chipping them? can you see what part of the target youre hitting, if its not a solid hit?
I guess im saying... if you've shot some already and things are clicking, you may not need to do any more fitting. rather just get consistent with time.
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner
Old August 5, 2021, 06:34 PM   #5
baddarryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinthe60s View Post
are you hitting them hard now or chipping them? can you see what part of the target youre hitting, if its not a solid hit?
I guess im saying... if you've shot some already and things are clicking, you may not need to do any more fitting. rather just get consistent with time.
Mostly hit them pretty solid but that is with my Red Label tossed relatively flat from my Champion Whirlybird. Totally different than Trap. I am thinking of getting a Wobbler for the Whirlybird.

I have only shot real Trap once and that was with my BPS. I think I got about 60% hits if I recall. I am going to pattern and set the comb to get the 70/30 as suggested.
Old August 7, 2021, 08:16 AM   #6
Seedy Character

Most will shoot a FULL choke, there are a few that shoot MOD. With screw in chokes, an Imp Mod choke , is my preference.

Talk to gunsmiths about stock fit. Find one knowledgeable in trap guns and have him "fit" the gun to you. Patterning yourself is possible. But, time consuming.

I shoot trap, skeet and clays with the same gun i hunt with, not a specialized trap gun. I consistently shoot 23 - 24 on trap. Factory guns are "fit" to an "average" person, of which MANY variables are averaged. IF you are far off of "average" fitting the gun WILL make an impact on shooting comfort and MAY impact scores.
Old August 7, 2021, 04:22 PM   #7
baddarryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedy Character View Post
Most will shoot a FULL choke, there are a few that shoot MOD. With screw in chokes, an Imp Mod choke , is my preference.

Talk to gunsmiths about stock fit. Find one knowledgeable in trap guns and have him "fit" the gun to you. Patterning yourself is possible. But, time consuming.

I shoot trap, skeet and clays with the same gun i hunt with, not a specialized trap gun. I consistently shoot 23 - 24 on trap. Factory guns are "fit" to an "average" person, of which MANY variables are averaged. IF you are far off of "average" fitting the gun WILL make an impact on shooting comfort and MAY impact scores.
Thank you. I am looking for someone local for that, both for myself and my daughter. Hopefully someone will turn up. Thank you.
Old August 8, 2021, 07:10 AM   #8
stuckinthe60s

pattern it. you may find that it already fits and all you need to do is practice.
Old August 8, 2021, 07:12 AM   #9
stuckinthe60s

70-30 is too high. go with 60-40. youre new at the game. your reaction time is slower than skilled shooters that shoot 70-30. by the time you see the target and establish lead, the target will be peaking....and with 70-30 itll fly over top and miss as the target starts down from gravity. 70-30 is for seasoned shooters that pop them as they are rising. figure out your leads and then switch to 7-30. fyi....ive been shooting 60-40 since 1985. it works just fine.
Old August 8, 2021, 07:55 AM   #10
stuckinthe60s

too bad you werent in s.e okla. id invite you out to my private range here in s.central mo and help you out free. then again, I got guys coming from tenn, ark, and colo to shoot here. might be worth your time and have fun while youre at it in oct.
Old August 8, 2021, 08:33 AM   #11
Seedy Character

We are planning a fall trip to Brandon. Beautiful country
Old August 8, 2021, 04:00 PM   #12
baddarryl

Quote:
too bad you werent in s.e okla. id invite you out to my private range here in s.central mo and help you out free. then again, I got guys coming from tenn, ark, and colo to shoot here. might be worth your time and have fun while youre at it in oct.
Wow that sounds fun! I am not sure if it's my my cards or not though! Lol!
Old August 8, 2021, 04:01 PM   #13
baddarryl

Quote:
70-30 is too high. go with 60-40. youre new at the game. your reaction time is slower than skilled shooters that shoot 70-30. by the time you see the target and establish lead, the target will be peaking....and with 70-30 itll fly over top and miss as the target starts down from gravity. 70-30 is for seasoned shooters that pop them as they are rising. figure out your leads and then switch to 7-30. fyi....ive been shooting 60-40 since 1985. it works just fine.
That's quite helpful. Thanks.
Old August 9, 2021, 06:02 AM   #14
stuckinthe60s

just remember, the game calls for you to hit them on the rise. if youre a shooter that prefers to wait until the target is motionless as it peaks, where you hit it by putting the front bead on it like a rifle shot, 50-50 is best.
btw...do your guns have center beads?
Old August 10, 2021, 08:56 AM   #15
baddarryl

Quote:
just remember, the game calls for you to hit them on the rise. if youre a shooter that prefers to wait until the target is motionless as it peaks, where you hit it by putting the front bead on it like a rifle shot, 50-50 is best.
btw...do your guns have center beads?
Just a front
Old August 11, 2021, 06:17 AM   #16
stuckinthe60s

before you go spending money on fit, have a smith properly install a center bead. that way you can align your bbl the same every time. without the aid of that center bead, it can change, causing your alignment to be off.
Old August 11, 2021, 01:42 PM   #17
'88Scrat

I just 4 days ago bought a BPS for also this purpose. Good info so far on here!