The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 19, 2021, 08:16 PM   #1
PatientWolf

.22 WMR - Henry or Ruger?

The title pretty well sums it up. I’m looking to get a .22WMR and am considering either a Ruger American #1458172 or a Henry lever action (Small Game ideally or alternatively a Golden Boy).

Would anyone like to share their experience?
Old October 19, 2021, 08:43 PM   #2
Hawg

I'd go with the Henry. I'm not impressed with the accuracy of Ruger rimfires.
Old October 19, 2021, 09:26 PM   #3
ccSnoopycc

Is that the Ruger American Compact? If so it will probably be lighter than the Henry. I think the Henry will be better made however having a box or rotary magazine compared to a tube makes reloading a lot easier. I would go with the Ruger.
Old October 19, 2021, 10:43 PM   #4
FunGramps

I'd go with the Ruger. Only reason for me is aesthetics. I don't like the black coating "bluing" on the Henry rifles.
Old October 20, 2021, 12:25 AM   #5
FrankenMauser

Ruger.
The Americans shoot very well.

The Henrys do okay, but they're ugly and have cheesy sights and barrel bands.
Old October 20, 2021, 08:39 AM   #6
Rob228

I have a Henry Big Boy and I'll second what FrakenMauser said about the sights.

But if you put a Skinner peep sight on it'll do great things. The action and trigger are very smooth, I have found that the front sight post is a little thick for my liking when trying for any type of precision shooting.

What do you plan on using it for? Squirrels, woodchucks and rabbits past 100 yards I'd go with the Ruger if you plan on scoping it. Same animals inside of 50 and it would be the Henry for me (I just found out I need glasses, if I'm shooting at small game I'd like to be able to see it )
Old October 20, 2021, 09:59 AM   #7
NoSecondBest

I’d go with the Henry. I put accuracy above what color the finish is, what the stock “looks” like, does it match my shoes, and all the other things that have nothing to do with accuracy and reliability. It’s a tool, not a piece of art work. Neither one is going to win an award as a truly collectible firearm. If you want to hit what you’re aiming at and want an ironclad warranty get the Henry. I’ve owned a lot of Ruger rimfire rifles and handguns. Every single Ruger rimfire rifle I’ve owned shot better with an aftermarket barrel on it. I’ve seen the worst accuracy imaginable from a couple of Ruger rifles. Ruger’s are generally very, very reliable but that comes at the cost of accuracy…..sloppy tolerances in most cases.
Old October 20, 2021, 01:22 PM   #8
FrankenMauser

Sounds like you have the worst luck, or never gave them a fair chance.
Though, I never really had to try with my 77/22 (.22 LR). Even its 'worst' groups are acceptable. But most of the ammo that I feed it does very well.
From what I have seen, the Americans are even more predictable. (I know the centerfires are - I've owned two of them.)
And, the WMR barrels have always done better than LR barrels, from Ruger. So we're not looking at .22 LR performance.

But, my 77/22 is .22 LR.
This is the first target that I found in my stack, with a 77/22 group on it.
That day, I was doing some load testing for centerfires and had the 77/22 along to entertain me while barrels cooled, and just because I enjoy shooting it.
Squares are 1-1/8". Group is 0.844". And this is pretty typical of the rifle - arguably a little bigger than average.
I'd say sub-MoA at 100 yards, with .22 LR, is just a *little* bit better than most people's expectations.

I own a bushel of Rugers and have had more pass through my safes and hands. I was not ashamed of any of them. Even my 77 Mk II in 7x57, that didn't meet my usual high standards, was still above average. It was usually bringing in groups at 1.5-1.75", at 100 yards.

Something to consider:
I know of many people - including some on this very forum - that had to have their Henrys sent back for accuracy issues and get barrels replaced. So, I did a quick interwebs search for "henry .22 wmr accuracy issues" and "ruger 77/22 wmr accuracy issues".

The first two pages of results for each were quickly skimmed through.
The majority of the Henry owners that offered follow up information had to send the rifle back for repair, or gave up and sold it.
The majority of the Ruger owners that offered follow up information either started shooting something other than Winchester Dynapoints (garbage ammo), or adjusted action screw torque and were happy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 77-22_1200.jpg (184.2 KB, 617 views)