The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 2, 2021, 10:51 AM   #1
Mastrogiacomo

Price check on an unfired revolver..

My hair dresser recently got her license to carry and she's looking for a revolver, (and has for several months). She wants a revolver for home defense and/or car gun. I have a used 686 plus and a 586, new and unfired gun in the safe. I like my 686 more and would consider offering the other revolver. What is a fair price for a never fired 586 (with lock)?
Old October 2, 2021, 11:10 AM   #2
jetinteriorguy

From what I’ve seen selling locally $700.00-$800.00 seems to be the general price range.
Old October 2, 2021, 11:13 AM   #3
Seedy Character

Fair price $700
Today's stupidity ??????

My opinion

Worth what you paid for it

You want her cutting your hair and finding out you made her an honest deal or inflated price?
Old October 2, 2021, 03:29 PM   #4
stinkeypete

Look at Smith and Wesson for the MSRP for your model. Then reckon state tax or shipping and FFL fees. Then reckon you have it NOW, no paperwork which someday some feel would be good to not exist, and you probably have ammo and would help her at the range. $850 to $1200.

But you know what you paid for it, and you two can work out a neighborly cash price plus some haircut coupons. A good haircut ain’t cheap, either.
Old October 3, 2021, 01:51 AM   #5
Nick_C_S

I Boston Ma, I'd imagine the sky's the limit when it comes to prices - just like here in Ca. In 2014, I bought a new 686+ (for carry) and paid over $800 for it. A 586 wouldn't be much less.
Old October 3, 2021, 11:03 AM   #6
Mastrogiacomo

She's interested in the gun...a lot. I'm going to bring it next time I get my hair done and let her handle it (she works out of her home), and she's fine with the price too which I'm selling for $800 even which I think is more than fair given the gun and it's condition.
Old October 3, 2021, 09:05 PM   #7
upstate81

That is a 900dollar gun today.
Old October 4, 2021, 08:05 AM   #8
Seedy Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastrogiacomo View Post
She's interested in the gun...a lot. I'm going to bring it next time I get my hair done and let her handle it (she works out of her home), and she's fine with the price too which I'm selling for $800 even which I think is more than fair given the gun and it's condition.
Offer to accompany her to a range for a "test drive" and instruction, followed by cleaning.
Her level of familiarity and training may negate the need.
Otherwise, a good deal
Old October 4, 2021, 09:07 AM   #9
Reloadron

What's the gun worth to you? Should you decide to sell it the only matter of importance is seller and buyer come away happy. I am seeing them from $700 and up so you can decide what the gun is worth to you and come up with a fair offer price.

I recently advertised in these and other forums seeking a S&W Model 60 Lady Smith or a decent nice condition 2" revolver. My son was looking for a carry gun for his wife and they had on loan a S&W Model 60. A very nice member in another forum who lived one town away from my son sold him a real nice S&W Model 60 for $600 so everyone walked away happy and turns out my son knew the guy's wife through HS wrestling programs. Go figure.

Whatever you feel is fair and as to any gun shortages I am seeing guns returning to market, albeit slowly but they are returning.

Ron
Old October 4, 2021, 08:36 PM   #10
Shadow9mm

The gun is worth what you paid for it. New, unfired, I would walk away at over $650.
Old October 5, 2021, 04:50 PM   #11
Drm50

Is the hair dresser a collector? There are several models of S&Ws more practical for SD role for non gun people. An L frame S&W is on the large size for such duty. I a drawer it don’t matter that much, carry is different story.