The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 1, 1999, 11:44 PM   #1
sjmci

Currently modifying a Beretta 92 for a custom cartridge. Trying to determine how strong the 92 action really is. Have seen posts about broken locking blocks and that the 92 system is not very strong, but the 96 uses the same system and now barrel makers are producing 357 Sig barrels for these guns. Does anyone know of any real data on this subject? Thanks in advance.
Old September 2, 1999, 07:40 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

The locking blocks would be the weak link I think. I have replaced 3 for folks over the past year. I would ask the company before I went to too hot a round in this pistol. I'm not sure what kind of answer you'll receive. There is a great deal of worry about liability and some companies just won't tell you anything. Personally I don't know how strong a 92 or 96 might be. George
Old September 2, 1999, 08:19 AM   #3
Rich Lucibella
Staff

I have to believe that the earlier, Italian made models (before the US Contract) would be stronger. No facts to support this, other than general economic theory.
Rich