The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 26, 2017, 01:25 PM   #1
stagpanther

First Shots of Patriot 375 Ruger

I whipped up a small quick batch of 235 gr hot cors driven by varget just so I could scoot out the door and test fire my new Mossberg rifle this morning.

This is my first dangerous game medium bore (seems big to me--but I guess "official" big bore is 416 or better) so I didn't know what to expect having never fired one before. One thing I noticed from the on-line vids is that many of the shooters were careful to shoulder properly (definitely important) and avoid bench shooting except maybe with bags or a lead sled. My loads were on the smaller end of bullet weight range (if you want to call a bullet of 235grs small) and around 2650 fps so not as heavy recoiling as a full-power "big 5" 300gr bullet--but still well into the 30+ lb felt recoil range. I did at the last second decide to put on a 3 x 9 nikon buckmaster scope--mostly because I wanted to see if there was any noticeable accuracy info. I was lucky that my first 3 shots were on paper at 100 yds without any preliminary sighting in work--I simply used the factory-set iron sights as a reference in zeroing the scope. Other than adding the scope--the rifle is as it comes from Mossberg.

The 3 shots did not group especially well--maybe 3" at 100--but that was probably a result of not being the right charge to a small extent and me pulling the shot to a big extent. As it turned out my fears of fierce hammering recoil were way out of proportion with what I actually experienced. Judging felt recoil is like judging wine--so many factors go into it you will likely rarely get two people to agree. I am not a tough guy macho shooter and really am just a hobbyist for the most part My impression--so far with these mid-range loads--is that the recoil is delivered in a "measured pulse" as opposed to something like a magnum 12 gauge out of my 870 which after 6 shots or so is going to leave a visible and felt hurt on my shoulder for days. The bare muzzle does want to rise a bit but it's not a "scope eye smacker" like some even lower power rifles I've shot. My feeling after just these first 3 shots is shoulder it right and hang on--and it's very manageable rifle that isn't going to beat you up. On the other hand--there is no mistaking the tremendous power that is being unleashed when the trigger is pulled--it demands respect to make sure you have a good hold or I suspect you could end up regretting it. Most of all--the BANG! is the most significant footprint of this rifle--I don't know if it's an exaggeration or not to say chances are every hunter in the woods within 10 miles is going to hear it when you touch one off--I'd be careful in the snowy mountains not to inadvertently start an avalanche.

Now I'll have to start the real work developing loads and technique--but, so far, I LIKE MUCH!
Old January 26, 2017, 03:33 PM   #2
taylorce1

That's a very mild load for a 235 grain bullet you should be able to reach 3100 FPS with a bullet that light. Real Guns did a comparison between the .375 H&H vs. .375 Ruger. I used the load data clfor the 260 grain Noslers in the begining. I did settle on Ramshot Big Game as my favorite powder for the .375 Ruger as it gave the best accuracy that I found.
Old January 26, 2017, 03:45 PM   #3
stagpanther

Quote:
That's a very mild load for a 235 grain bullet you should be able to reach 3100 FPS with a bullet that light. Real Guns did a comparison between the .375 H&H vs. .375 Ruger. I used the load data clfor the 260 grain Noslers in the begining. I did settle on Ramshot Big Game as my favorite powder for the .375 Ruger as it gave the best accuracy that I found.
I have some 250 and 270 grs bullets--they are up next--I'm just gradually working my way up. Unfortunately don't have nay Big Game--but RL15 sems to be one that is rated highly for power and accuracy in this cartridge from what I've found in load data. I've heard that the cartridge can be loaded down way below what I did here--but OK--I'll call it a very mild load compared to brontosaurus-droppers, though I suspect survival prospects for most any non-dangerous game in NA would be very low out to ranges I commonly shoot at. 4000 ftlbs of energy isn't what I would call very mild--but whatever.
Old May 15, 2017, 03:00 PM   #4
Don Fischer

I've got a Patriot in 243. I broke the rear action bolt pertty soon on. Used a Torque Wrench for the first time and put 30# on it, to much. Mossberg sent me a new trigger guard and suggested from 20# to 25# torque. I've got the wood stock. All I could get here was the plastic one so I bought it and ordered a wood one when I got home.

I don't have a complaint one with the rifle, as for the plastic, time will tell! Shoot's pretty good.

Well I was going to post a couple photo's of a target but not a clue how to get a photo in here! Copy and paste don't work! Well it does work coming out of photobucket! Those two shot's on the right are from a 30-06 I was testing loads in also. I drew those square's to be 1"x1"; they copied at 3/4"x3/4"

Old May 15, 2017, 03:04 PM   #5
stagpanther

Broke the bolt? Or do you mean the handle? or do you mean the bolts that hold the stock to the action?
Old May 15, 2017, 03:09 PM   #6
Don Fischer

Sorry. Broke the trigger guard where the bolt goes through. Probably should have realized it would. Had a 660 Rem with a plastic trigger guard and messed up where the bolt went through also. Shot fo years that way, still does, my son stole it!
Old May 15, 2017, 03:44 PM   #7
stagpanther

Gotcha. Was your Patriot plastic--and the guard as well? I assume you took it off to adjust the trigger?

I still can't believe I found this marine coat Patriot w walnut stock 375 ruger for $450--I still think it's worth almost twice the price!