The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Closed Thread

Old May 8, 2017, 08:02 PM   #176
agtman

Quote:
Some of that may be overly exaggerated.
No, actually, it was nauseating ... Good gawd.

By way of comic relief, thankfully, we may now gaze upon a rare 1950-ish photo of the M1's inventor, John Cantius Garand, instructing his children (Janice & Richard) on how to most effectively employ their personal M1s in defense of the homestead against any possible onslaught by Commies, Aliens, and/or Zed Mutants.

After all, it's for the kids ... .

Last edited by agtman; May 8, 2017 at 11:45 PM.
Old May 8, 2017, 08:06 PM   #177
Don Fischer

Seen's to me that before you think of a survival rifle you should think about what survival rifle really means to you! Are you using it primarily to survive or a defensive weapon for bad time's? A handgun is a defensive weapon. Most any CF rifle is an assault rifle. You absolutely do not need a CF rifle to simply survive. You need it to provide food for yourself. RF 22 mag is the way I would go. I wouldn't take on a bear with it but would not bother me one bit to take on much of anything else with it. This is the accuracy is everything rifle. For surviving, a pocket full of 22 mag's will last you a lot longer than even a 223. You could opt for a 22 LR but I don't think you would get that many more in your pocket, 22 LR wold certainly work though. If you shoot a rabbit with your 223 your not gonna have all that much left to eat! Most Rim fires I would take in a hot second to any CF rifle.

Now if this was a weapon to survive during an attack, I'll still take the 22 mag. Think about where you'd get ammo, conserve ammo. Your probably not a trained warrior so leave that to them and you evade and hide. Ya really need an assault rifle, shoot the enemy in the head with your 22 and take his rifle and his ammo! During time's like those, CF ammo fired will call attention to yourself, 22 RF may go completely un-noticed, especially the 22 RF particularly a 22 short and it still will kill more than you can eat! I would say that it should not be a handgun either. Few people can shoot a handgun, even a rim fire one well enough to feed themselves on a regular basis.

Some of these discussion's on survival seem to get way out of hand particularly cartridges and rifle's to accomplish it.
Old May 8, 2017, 08:53 PM   #178
MosinNOUGAT

The Garands just keep appearing!

To be honest, I would rather have an SKS than a garand. 10 rounds of reliable, mud-tested fun in a smaller cartridge, and who needs the recoil of 30-06? Especially in a semi-auto. . .7.62x39 is powerful enough and much lighter and easier to carry.

Just a joke, the mosin obviously isn't better than an AR or an AK as it was replaced by these weapons.

Last edited by MosinNOUGAT; May 8, 2017 at 08:59 PM.
Old May 8, 2017, 09:28 PM   #179
rickyrick

I've taken an M16, strapped it down and went after it with a diesel engined steam pressure washer.

And just to see how powerful it was, a PV2 took it to his army boot.,, with his foot still in it. He eventually healed.

I don't think the mosin stock could SURVIVE that ...

There, I win the thread...
Old May 8, 2017, 09:34 PM   #180
MosinNOUGAT

Quote:
diesel engined steam pressure washer.
Now that's one way to get that cosmoline off!
Old May 9, 2017, 07:51 AM   #181
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Eight pages is more than enough.
Closed Thread