The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 23, 2023, 06:26 PM   #1
FITASC

45 ACP suggestions

Shooting a Springfield TRP Operator (just for grins an giggles, no competition or self defense)
I have Win 231, Titewad, Titegroup, Universal, Green Dot, Bullseye and some Power Pistol
Bullets are 200 gr CLSWC and 200 gr PLRN
Primers are either Win LPP of Fed LPP (150)

I have the range for each from low to high but am trying to minimize load work-up due to the price and scarcity of those expensive primers
TIA for any guidance.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 23, 2023, 06:41 PM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

start with the starting loads, if they cycle the gun and do what you want, you're golden...

if not, bump up a bit until they do.
Old January 23, 2023, 07:34 PM   #3
FITASC

Have any favorites among those listed 44AMP?
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 23, 2023, 07:51 PM   #4
Nick_C_S

W231 and Bullseye are both total classics for 45 ACP. Either one will do at least 80% of anything that needs to be done with 45 ACP.
Old January 23, 2023, 08:07 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

200-grain soft bullet's shoot well with 4.2 to 5.0 grains of Bullseye. 4.4 to 5.2 grains of Universal is cleaner, and that same charge weight range of 231 will meter more easily but require more cleaning than Universal. From the published data, you can load higher, but unless you are copying the feel of a defense load or just can't get the gun to function without more recoil, why waste the powder? The bottom loads mentioned will function my 1911s, but some guns need more.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 23, 2023, 08:15 PM   #6
mikejonestkd

Bullseye and win 231 are my two go to powders for mild and medium 45acp loads.
Unclenick hit the nail on the head.
Old January 23, 2023, 09:01 PM   #7
FITASC

Thank you Uncle Nick! Much appreciated!
Old January 23, 2023, 10:01 PM   #8
RoyceP

I have a couple pounds of W231 but for me the Bullseye 45 ACP rounds have been so consistent and accurate that I have never tried 231. I use only 230 grain round nose lead bullets. I typically shoot 200 rounds at a range in my 1911. It gets pretty dirty from all the bullet lube and the Bullseye but still quite accurate even on the last shot from the last magazine.
Old January 24, 2023, 11:39 AM   #9
ocharry

i use universal in my 45acp loads under a 200gr. RNFP lead bullet....

i started using that bullet because i couldnt get my old colt to feed SWC consistant..almost but not quite...every once in a while it would choke on one...but the TRP would eat them just fine...i think it would feed rocks if you loaded them..so.. i just switched to all 200gr RNFP.....just as accurate just doesnt make the really clean cookie cutter hole in paper..

i have 6, 45acp pistols and the load works and feeds and is accurate in all of them

just a tad hotter than nick's 5.2, but thats where i like the load and it works for me in my guns

YMMV an my .02

ocharry
Old January 24, 2023, 01:52 PM   #10
44 AMP
Staff

For plinking loads with 200gr lead bullets I use Bullseye or W231. Other than Green Dot I don't have personal experience with any of the other powders you listed.

I don't use plated or coated bullets. When shooting lead, one powder being dirtier than another is a non issue for me.

For serious use, I use jacketed bullets and Unique in the .45acp.
Old January 24, 2023, 05:44 PM   #11
Marco Califo

BE-86 by Alliant will enable you to reach much higher velocities in 45 ACP. BE-86 is a modern powder that runs circles around the old stand-bys for lead bullets (like Win 231). I use plated and jacketed bullets in my 45 ACP Glock. Speer data says 1172 fps for 185 gr Gold Dots.
https://www.speer.com/reloading/handgun-data.html
You do not need to limit your self to 850 fps in 45 ACP.
Old January 24, 2023, 07:31 PM   #12
FITASC

Thanks for the suggestions!
Old January 24, 2023, 09:17 PM   #13
zeke

5.0 grains hp-38 (231) under a 200 gn lswc was a favorite for years. About 800 fps from 5 in, if memory serves. Either way a mild/accurate load.
Old January 24, 2023, 10:04 PM   #14
Marco Califo

Zeke, would you use that as your home security or every day carry load?
I find that reloaders who have reason to carry, want something more than a paper puncher, like a speedy hollowpoint.
Old January 25, 2023, 12:03 AM   #15
zeke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Califo View Post
Zeke, would you use that as your home security or every day carry load?
I find that reloaders who have reason to carry, want something more than a paper puncher, like a speedy hollowpoint.
I have easy access to more potent rounds than a round developed and used for target round. But that is not what the op was asking.
Old January 25, 2023, 07:49 AM   #16
Wag

I use Win231 exclusively for 45acp with a 230gr RN jacketed, plated or lead.

Always satisfies.

I discovered a couple of weeks ago that I have two 8 lb jugs that I must have bought within the last 10 years along with a couple of 1lb cans.

I'm set for now.

--Wag--
Old January 25, 2023, 12:02 PM   #17
Unclenick
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Califo
That is correct. However, the OP said this wasn't for self-defense or matches. He said it's just for "giggles," which I take to mean plinking, and he wanted to do it with the powders he listed in that post as ones he already has on hand.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 26, 2023, 07:36 AM   #18
Mike Irwin
Staff

I've reloaded thousands of rounds of .45 ACP.

Every one of them has been with WW 231. As long as 231 is available, I won't load .45 with anything else.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 26, 2023, 01:56 PM   #19
gwpercle

Looking back at notes , pet loads , 45 acp w/ 200 gr. cast SWC (Lyman 452460)
bullets sized .452" , primers - CCI 300

4.5 grs W231 / HP38 @ 808 fps
4.5 grs. Bullseye @ 830 fps
4.7 grs. Acc #2 @ 832 fps
4.0 grs. Titegroup @ 860 fps
4.2 grs. Red Dot @ 794 fps
4.0 grs 700X @ 824 fps
5.0 grs Unique @ 728 fps

5.3 grs Unique @ 765 fps * - this load earned me a First Place trophy in a G.I. 1911 Service Match Pistol Competition and is a favored mid-range load .

These loads have proved accurate in semi-auto and revolver .
Hope they help you in your load development.
Gary
Old January 27, 2023, 10:44 PM   #20
Nick_C_S

Quote:
5.0 grains hp-38 (231) under a 200 gn lswc was a favorite for years.
Yep. Me too. 840 f/s through my 1911's. Been loading this since 1985. It's a target round, but it's still rather spunky.