The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 18, 2023, 02:28 AM   #1
FiveStarGunsAndGear

Single stage reloader 300 prc

As title states I’m looking for recommendations on a single stage reloader for 300 prc also recommended set of dies. This will be for benchrest shooting so need something to turn out reliable and consistent ammo.

Love to get everyone es opinions
Old January 18, 2023, 11:26 AM   #2
Roughedge

I use a RCBS Rockchucker and lee dies and never had a problem.
Old January 18, 2023, 12:35 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

FiveStarGunsAndGear,

Welcome to the forum. Please pop over to the General Discussion forum, and use the topmost thread to introduce yourself.

Many benchrest competitors seem to be dispensing powder and seating bullets at the range. For seating, they use a small arbor press like the Sinclair using Wilson seating dies that are designed for that method. However, the only sizing you can do with that press and die style is neck-size-only, for which Wilson also has dies. But most shooters find sizing the body enough to get a shoulder with a thousandth or two of wiggle room provides more accuracy, and for that, you need some sort of conventional press. I like the Forster Co-ax press for speed of die change and coaxiality of the finished cartridge that is as good as it gets. The sizing die you use in it is not critical, and Lee will work better than some others I've had, despite its low cost and lack of decorative exterior finish. For any sizing die, you do best to remove or sand down the expander, and for expanding use, a mandrel in a mandrel die body (Sinclair or 21st Century) or the Lyman M-die (if one is made for your chambering). However, for seating on the Co-ax press or any more conventional press like the Rock Chucker, I recommend using the Redding Competition Seating die, as it minimizes cartridge runout in every press I've tried it in.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 18, 2023, 02:18 PM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

The Lyman "M" dies I have are not cartridge specific. The die body is "open", never touches the cases. Same die body for .357 or .45-70, etc. Different expanders in the die of course.

The expanders are caliber specific and I know they make one for .30 caliber, so that should work fine for the .300 PRC the OP has.
Old January 21, 2023, 09:35 AM   #5
Nathan

I would suggest a MEC Press, CPS or Holland’s priming tool, Redding type S dies and a TRX-925/Dandy trickler(or Autotrickler/FX120 scale) for powder. Definitely use Creedmoor Sports or Imperial case wax for case lube. That should get you on the right path.

When you say benchrest, I’m assuming you mean best accuracy from the bench for your 300 PRC. If you mean benchrest, this answer will change slightly.

I’m also assuming that this is a best quality rifle built by a best quality gunsmith. If not, there is probably too much equipment there.

Remember best dies are not by brand or by name. They are by how the sized brass fits your chamber, flexibility and runout of the loaded round. If true benchrest is your goal, you should consider having a chambering reamer and sizing die reamer made to match your chamber.
Old January 21, 2023, 07:14 PM   #6
USAF Ret

RCBS RockChucker. Don't get the kit. I did and ended up replacing almost everything.

I like RCBS and Hornady dies. I use both.
Old January 22, 2023, 06:52 AM   #7
FiveStarGunsAndGear

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF Ret View Post
RCBS RockChucker. Don't get the kit. I did and ended up replacing almost everything.

I like RCBS and Hornady dies. I use both.
I purchased a Rock Chucker Supreme not the kit. I wanted to get the CoAx press but was told the yoke may not clear some micrometer seating does, so after watching a reloading shootout of various single stage presses the rock chucker showed to have more concentricy then all other except 1 beat it. Just need to decide on dies and other accessories now. Have my tumbler and supplies so just need everything else for reloading
Old January 22, 2023, 09:28 PM   #8
Nathan

Rock Chucker is good!
Old January 23, 2023, 09:13 AM   #9
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveStarGunsAndGear View Post
I purchased a Rock Chucker Supreme not the kit. I wanted to get the CoAx press but was told the yoke may not clear some micrometer seating does, so after watching a reloading shootout of various single stage presses the rock chucker showed to have more concentricy then all other except 1 beat it. Just need to decide on dies and other accessories now. Have my tumbler and supplies so just need everything else for reloading
I think that s a great choice. I ended up replacing the scale with a digital. Then ended up replacing the powder dispenser with an electronic one. The one thing I use is the case trimmer and now I am looking at getting an electric one of those as well, as my latest batch of 308 all have to be trimmed. It is time consuming.
Old January 23, 2023, 02:20 PM   #10
Unclenick
Staff

Co-ax press yoke has had clearance increased over time, but the 300 PRC is almost a quarter inch longer than 30-06, so it is a legitimate concern.

FiveStarGunsAndGear,

I am assuming this is the video you mentioned. Having looked at the video and followed the article link to view his results for the individual presses, I have concluded something is wrong with his runout measuring method. He gets bullet tip runout numbers up to 0.006" even on the super expensive German press that he rates highest. I've loaded 308 in a Lee Classic cast without ever seeing more than about 0.0025" of tip TIR and in the Co-ax without exceeding 0.0020". I suspect his method of using the Wilson case holder in the lathe has a fundamental issue of some kind. The first thing that springs to mind is that if the cases have wall runout and have expanded unevenly (the so-called banana-shaped case), the Wilson holder could be expected not to hold them completely straight and coaxial with the lathe spindle. I get his idea that he wanted to simulate a chamber, but what is known from actual group size measuring is that assembled cartridge coaxiality affects group size, and there is no information I have run into comparing the effect from how the cartridge fits a chamber that squeezes its sides tightly as the Wilson holder does.

The datum length measurement also has a potential problem. I've measured match bullets before with both the Hornady and Sinclair inserts and got a bit more variation from the former with respect to the location of the ogive measuring diameter from the bullet base, but I get some in both. In either case, it demonstrates that bullets that come off different tooling sets are not quite identical in profile. To eliminate that influence, you need to look at the diameter of the ring mark left by the seating die and make sure your datum insert has a hole that contacts the ogive at that same diameter. If you don't, the individual bullets can be responsible for at least some of the measured irregularity, and with a sample size as small as five for each of many presses tested, you are almost certain to randomly get some sets of dummies that got five more uniform bullets than some of the others did.

So, I'm not sold on his test results without some further investigation. I only know they don't match my experience.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 23, 2023, 09:01 PM   #11
Nathan

@ FiveStarGunsAndGear….I would suggest you reread post #5 for next steps. Feel free to ask questions.
Old January 24, 2023, 12:11 AM   #12
FiveStarGunsAndGear

That’s the video
Old January 24, 2023, 12:18 AM   #13
FiveStarGunsAndGear

Nathan yes I think other than the Mec press since I have the rock chucker I will be looking at your other suggestions. As far as true bench rest no. I not getting a custom built rifle, it’s for a Begara B14 Wilderness HMR just want to squeeze as much accuracy as possible from that rifle. I like shooting groups more than steel plates. Starting to think maybe I should use a full length sizer but bump the shoulder back enough for the bolt to have a snug semi snug close and go off that. Also considering trying just neck sizing and fire forming the crass to my chamber. What’s your thoughts seeing the Begara will not have the same chamber tolerances of let’s say a custom built rifle built specifically for precision matches.
Old January 24, 2023, 02:04 PM   #14
Nathan

Get yourself some Redding Type S or Forester dies. Forester would be a bit better IMHO because you can adjust neck tension by changing expanders. You can adjust how much the neck is sized by sending in for the honing service if you require that.

Not sure how far you want to go down the powder road. I find a dispenser quite helpful for +/- 0.1gr accuracy. I find a Hornady measure, TRX-925 Scale, Little Dandy trickler will get you a fast way to throw +/- 0.01gr for about the same money. Finally, the autotrickler/fx-120i will be fast and easy for about $1100. Next 8 posts will be how you can do the same thing on the cheapest balance beam with Lee dippers or something like that. You cannot. A Prometheus is a good way to go if you have to have a beam scale. It does about the same thing with more hassle and costs $4000, I believe to lease.

For trimming, Wilson makes a nice tool.

For priming, the CPS is a great tool, but the RCBS bench tool will get you the feel to get you pretty good results. Adding the Hollands kit adds a stop and a tool to measure depth.