The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 30, 2022, 11:54 AM   #1
cdoc42

Trophy buck scoring

My hunting club has a “Big Buck” pool and I won this year, bagging an 8-point that I scored as 130.25. But this was after the club decided that I was the winner, with the criteria being the number of points and the inside spread. Using that plan, the score would have been a simple 26. Just for the heck of it, I measured 2 other bucks that I harvested in the past; one 8-point and one 10-point. With the current criteria, the 10-point would be the winner, but when using the usual Whitetail scoring system that includes tine length and diameter, and main beam length, the 8-pointer comes out ahead. Interestingly, the “official” scoring system does not include the number of “points” on the buck!

I’m not unhappy that I won, I’m just of the opinion that a more fair way is needed just in case we have an arguable situation in the future.

Does anyone else belong to a club that has a “Buck Pool?” How do you decide on the winner?
Old December 30, 2022, 12:22 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Years ago I belonged to such a club in Upstate NY.
I never entered a buck, but I do know they used the official B&C measuring rules.
There was no "certified" measurer, just a couple of the club members were selected, but the rules are not that hard to follow:
https://www.boone-crockett.org/score...whitetail_deer
Old December 30, 2022, 12:31 PM   #3
Pahoo

Boone & Crocket is our standard measure.

Not club rules but Boone & Crocket standard. I recall instruction sheets that take you through the process. I no longer have them but have the basic outline, in my head. Also, one of my DNR buddy's scores these, all the time under that "written" standard, one of my Grandsons took a 162 and it too was an 8-pointer that was a big buck. ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q78SCR2_W7g

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; December 30, 2022 at 12:40 PM.
Old December 30, 2022, 05:44 PM   #4
cdoc42

Thanks to all, so far. A few of us were considering just a "gross" score and only calculating "deductions" in the case of a tie. I know it depends on the opinions of my particular group of members but the observations of those in these forums represent an unbiased, "outside' opinion that could be useful in a heated moment of controversy.
Old December 31, 2022, 04:54 PM   #5
Scorch

I have participated in several "big buck" pools over the years. Most do not use the official scoring technique, they use something easy to measure, like inside spread or height of the rack or total number of points as the determining score. Easy is better than getting complicated. One measurement, that's easy. Will some people be upset? Sure. But they entered the contest knowing how it was going to be scored, so that's the way it goes.
Old December 31, 2022, 07:30 PM   #6
cdoc42

Scorch, you're right. "Here are the rules, here is the result." But virtually always, somebody bitches who wasn't at the meeting, didn't vote, is an elitist in the community, etc., etc., converts the minions to his side through blue-collar fear, and upsets the whole process. If the rules are "stringent" and therefore argument-opposed, that kind of guy can purse his lips, bend over and allow everyone behind him to see what he sees. There are just too many such individuals who disrespect others these days.
Old December 31, 2022, 07:55 PM   #7
Pahoo

Duplicate

Please Delete !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; December 31, 2022 at 08:00 PM.
Old December 31, 2022, 07:56 PM   #8
Pahoo

Sounds like fun !!!

Quote:
"Here are the rules, here is the result." But virtually always, somebody bitches who wasn't at the meeting, didn't vote, is an elitist in the community, etc., etc., converts the minions to his side through blue-collar fear, and upsets the whole process.
WOW, sounds like a bunch of fun guys to be with. Think I'll stick with our local "Pheasant" feather contests as there is only one measurement and the sponsor, make the measure. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old January 1, 2023, 07:43 AM   #9
cdoc42

Realistically, it's not as bad as that sounds, it's just like any other organization that's large enough to have a minority of members who ALWAYS play a part in the operation while the majority just cruise along. I'm just working toward the day when one of them gets a buck, has NO idea what the rules are but thinks he has a winner.
Old January 1, 2023, 08:56 AM   #10
sako2

Post the rules at the range and in the club house. And measuring station.
Old January 1, 2023, 11:05 AM   #11
cdoc42

Good idea, sako2, thanks!