The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old December 14, 2022, 03:23 PM   #1
OPC

Question about new Form 4473

I saw some online discussion about this and decided to follow up with ATF website here: ATF Form 4473 Update and ask a few questions of the TFL members.

There are several changes, but am starting with these two -

1: What would be the purpose of new Question 10?
"Reside in City Limits? []Yes [] No []Unknown"

2: Does the addition [I think it's new] of ammunition to Question 21b make it defacto illegal for anyone who fills out the 4473 to ever sell ammunition to someone who is barred from owning a firearm? Is it currently illegal for those barred persons to own ammunition? This seems like an attempt to force background checks for ammo sales. Yes/No?
New Question 21.b:
"Do you intend to purchase or acquire any firearm listed on this form and any continuation sheet(s) or ammunition, for sale of other disposition to any person described in questions 21(c)-(m) or to a person described in question 21.n.1 who does not fall within a nonimmigrant exception? "

Last edited by OPC; December 14, 2022 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old December 14, 2022, 04:04 PM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

Generally speaking, people who are legally prohibited from possessing firearms are also prohibited from possessing ammunition.

There may be exceptions (though I don't know of any). I do know that felons on parole have been found guilty of violating their parole if they are caught with even one round of ammunition (and no gun in their possession).
Old December 14, 2022, 07:47 PM   #3
dogtown tom

Quote:
OPC

1: What would be the purpose of new Question 10?
"Reside in City Limits? []Yes [] No []Unknown"
A requirement of the NICS Denial Notification Act of 2022, is a requirement that the FBI NICS notify the local PD of the denial. Being that an unincorporated area may also bear the name of an incorporated area, the FBI asks "Reside in city limits" so they know whether to notify the city PD or county.
For example:
Houston, TX 77069 (I used to live there in the late '80's)
It's not actually in the city limits of Houston, but unincorporated Harris County.

Quote:
2: Does the addition [I think it's new] of ammunition to Question 21b make it defacto illegal for anyone who fills out the 4473 to ever sell ammunition to someone who is barred from owning a firearm?
It has been a felony to sell ammunition to a prohibited person for decades.

Quote:
Is it currently illegal for those barred persons to own ammunition?
Yes

Quote:
This seems like an attempt to force background checks for ammo sales. Yes/No?
No it isn't.
An FFL cannot use the FBI NICS background check system for anything other than firearm transactions.

Quote:
New Question 21.b:
"Do you intend to purchase or acquire any firearm listed on this form and any continuation sheet(s) or ammunition, for sale of other disposition to any person described in questions 21(c)-(m) or to a person described in question 21.n.1 who does not fall within a nonimmigrant exception? "
IMO, it makes it clear that its not just firearms, but transferring ammunition is also prohibited.

The wording had to include ammunition because a new federal law said it did.
Bipartisan Safer Community Act.

See:
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/atf-for...cord-revisions

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old December 14, 2022, 10:29 PM   #4
OPC

Thanks for the response, dogtown tom.