The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 5, 2022, 11:59 AM   #1
WmMunny

Where's the posts?

Here we are-- heart of hunting season and there are few posts in this group. Only thing I can figure is everybody's out in the woods...
Old December 5, 2022, 01:00 PM   #2
taylorce1

Well unfortunately I didn't draw any tags this year. Then my one out of state hunt was cancled due to me having COVID.
Old December 5, 2022, 07:14 PM   #3
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorce1 View Post
Well unfortunately I didn't draw any tags this year. Then my one out of state hunt was cancled due to me having COVID.
You have to draw resident tags?
Old December 5, 2022, 07:27 PM   #4
Pahoo

Great year. in Eastern Iowa

Quote:
Where's the posts?
You are correct and although I no longer hunt deer, I do support two groups and this year, the guys are taking some pretty impressive deer. My one Grandson took a large 8-pointer that so far, hs score 161. My other Grandson took and doe at 5FT. and buck at about 90yards. The but is a 10-pointer. Our cousin just took a 12-point typical and it's a monster. Both buck are getting mounted. ........

I know there are some montster bucks in Eastern Iowa but don't tell anyone. We "Party-Hunt" and so far, we have filled 14-tags. Some of this info may sound confusing but we hunt under Iowa's laws. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old December 5, 2022, 08:30 PM   #5
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynolds357
You have to draw resident tags?
Yes and no! I live in Colorado, there is a primary draw, a leftover draw with youth preference. Then there are leftover tags you can buy over the counter (OTC). There are also some OTC tags in areas for elk and bear.

My real issue is I have to submit my vacation a year in advance. So if I don't draw the season I choose, I may not be able to move my vacation to cover my hunting. I eork on call 24/7 unless I'm on vacation, I can't plan hunting around days off.
Old December 5, 2022, 08:48 PM   #6
USAF Ret

I am hunting every Friday morning for the next 4 weeks. If I can get off work, might try to go more. I will post if/when I get some freezer meat down.
Old December 6, 2022, 02:22 AM   #7
bamaranger

slow start

I hunted 7 evenings in Oct archery season, managing to miss two does, one a chip shot at 15 paces! Then I got a call and had to go out of state for a month to help tend for my ailing momma age 91. She's gonna be alright.

Upon my return after Thanksgiving, I had to catch up on all the personnel and domestic stuff that had fallen through the cracks here at bamahouse while I was gone.

I've hunted two evenings since my return to AL, both bowhunts on public land. First night I saw 5 and had what was likely a P&Y caliber buck walk by at less than 10 yds in the dark while I was still aloft. I could see tines and mass in the moonlight, but no way could I legally or ethically loose an arrow. I then got a really bad chest bronchial thing going, and pretty much spent a week home in the recliner.....I'm gonna be alright too.

Second evening, just Sun eve, I got to the woods late, but saw 7, including one buck of unknown size riding the ATV to where I was headed. Saw a doe and a yearling that PM from the tree. I should get another crack at one soon and really want it to be a bow kill.

A goal this year is to kill a deer with a a handgun.
Old December 6, 2022, 05:05 AM   #8
Sevens

Quote:
Second evening, just Sun eve, I got to the woods late, but saw 7, including one buck of unknown size riding the ATV to where I was headed.
Okay -- I read this three times and I laughed harder each time, thank you for this!
Old December 6, 2022, 11:51 AM   #9
ocharry

^^^ yeah i got a good smile out of it myself...lol

ocharry
Old December 6, 2022, 01:33 PM   #10
MarkCO

I had to miss Deer season, was having the discs in my neck replaced. Elk is open now. I hope to be cleared by the Surgeon on the 15th. Then 2 19 year old lads will accompany me to pack my Elk out of the woods. Restricted to 30 pounds of lifting.
Old December 6, 2022, 02:59 PM   #11
Blindstitch

This year I hunted early october during archery season with my dad for 4 days and there with my combo license I need to shoot a deer with 3 points on one side. Well we didn't see a single buck and they all evaporated from camera for a month.

I took the first week of firearms season off to hunt with my dad but it didn't open till tuesday so I brought my crossbow with me. I arrived late veterans day (friday) got all my gear and snacks in the blind. The next morning an hour before daylight we snuck out to the blind. We sat there in the dark waiting for light and as the sun came up a 5 point came from the left. I raised the crossbow and the scope was a bit fogged and I couldn't see the lines right so I turned on the illumination. That did it. Crossbow went up again and I put the red dot right behind the shoulder and pulled the trigger. It did like a shiver and stood there trying to figure out what happened. Confused it started walking away and went maybe 10 yards and fell dead behind a big pine tree.

But we didn't know that. We thought it fell but couldn't verify it. I cocked the crossbow and threw in another arrow and we sat there giving it some time and a this year fawn came 7 feet from the blind and bedded down for 2 hours.

Eventually the fawn left after its mom went to were we thought the buck fell and she stomped for 10 minutes and walked off. Now it was about 10 so we started thinking find the deer and maybe head out for lunch. The shot was good and the deer was where we thought it fell.

I only wish I had a chance to use my rifle besides making sure it was still sighted in.
Old December 6, 2022, 04:01 PM   #12
NHSHOOTER

Last 2 seasons here in NH were a bust for me, we dont have a very large deer herd so pickings can be somewhat slim, 2 seasons ago I saw but 1 spike buck and couldnt get a shot due to the rising sun which rose just as the deer left the thick woods and entered a clear area, never saw him again. Last season I was retired and had plenty of time in the woods, sat many hours in a few different spots with no luck, my 1 opportunity came and of course I pulled a rookie move and spooked the 4 point.
As he was running full bore across my path at about 60 to 70 yds I shot and missed. This season I decided to spend a few $$$$ and booked a hunt in NC at a outfitter I had hunted with in the past (20 yrs ago) Occuneechee lodge in Jackson NC, was still a very good operation, a bit overhunted but I did score 3, 1-4pt, 1 spike and a doe in 3 days hunting, limit was 4, 2 bucks 2 does. Back to NH for the rifle season and after sitting a spot I had missed the 4 point last yr I scored a nice size spike at 165 yds with my 25-06, very impressed with that rifle ( new acquisition) Had 1 more doe tag for NH but failed to see another deer, season ended on 12/4 for rifle. Very happy with my season.
Old December 6, 2022, 05:20 PM   #13
bamaranger

bucks and an ATV

Yeah, Ok, not the best sentence construction.
Old December 6, 2022, 07:43 PM   #14
NHSHOOTER

was still funny bamaranger
Old December 7, 2022, 11:35 AM   #15
ocharry

and you know we love ya here bama....bunch of ol boys sitting around the table drinking coffee and what not tellin stories and havin a good time tellin on each other....

my old huntin partner was good at that....lol....damn i mis the ol coot...we laffed at eah other and had some shinin times i tell ya

ocharry
Old December 8, 2022, 09:44 PM   #16
Geezerbiker

I got covid again just before hunting season started. It wasn't nearly as bad as the first time but I've barely been out of the house in the past month. I was hoping to read some good hunting reports to make me feel like I'm still in the game...

Tony
Old December 12, 2022, 10:28 AM   #17
jackstrawIII

I've shot 3 does this year. Posted about the first two in the copper bullet thread I started. The third wasn't anything spectacular.

Hoping to get a chance at a buck during late muzzleloader season...we'll see.
Old December 12, 2022, 03:45 PM   #18
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Granddaughter's spanking new husband asked if he could deer hunt on property I own. Not wanting to disappoint the young hard working fellow I told him yes he and friends could hunt. All missed or gave passes to the deer they seen hoping for a trophy's to show up under their Stands. Oh well?
At Christmas dinner here I clue the kid in on old school hunting ways. (flip him from being a trophy shooter to a Freezer filler -- I hoping for.)
Old December 13, 2022, 01:55 PM   #19
NHSHOOTER

If i got that kind of permission I would definitely put 1 in the freezer ( ill just wait here for my invite)
Old December 13, 2022, 10:17 PM   #20
Blindstitch

Quote:
(flip him from being a trophy shooter to a Freezer filler -- I hoping for.)
You only need one good trophy and who's to say it isn't a trophy doe.

I shot a monster doe my first few years of bow hunting. I was trying to hold out for a buck but this family group kept coming by my stand and grandma doe would blow and stomp and scare everything away. She made the mistake of getting to close and must have been showing off because she was on her hind legs trying to smell me up in a shakey 15 foot scaffold covered in fresh cedar branches. She dropped back to all fours and turned her head back to the group as if saying it was good but it wasn't. I poke an arrow between the V of a tree and it was lights out.

After that I filled my other tags easily but the big buck never came by when I was there. But one evening my Grandpa was there and put a good shot on a 16 pointer. He came and got me and my dad and when I hooked it up to the fourwheeler it wouldn't move. They had to push the fourwheeler to get it to move. I was on the throttle all the way home so I wouldn't get stuck.

I wish we would have got it weighed but nobody was putting that thing in the back of the truck.
Old December 14, 2022, 07:13 PM   #21
cdoc42

SE Pennsylvania was too warm this year. The first day I saw a single deer crossing my field of view which is about 200 yards horizontally and a max of 315 yards vertically, while in my heated hut for 12 hours. Two days later I saw 6 doe trotting into the forest at the end of the day about 250 yards NE. I heard very few shots, but I became aware at the end of the season that some in our 60-member club harvested 12 bucks on the 5000 acres we have available. I was one of them on December 2 when a beauty came out at 280 yards and walked the forest edge toward me, blocked from view at 200 yards, but a brief opening at 110 gave me a window of opportunity and I hit him with a 115gr Hornady spire in .270 before he was lost from view. Two strong bellows of white vapor emanating from the thick brush told me he was mine. I ended up winning the "Big Buck Pool" in our club with this 8-point, heavy rack with an 18-inch main beam spread. But no one got the 12-pointer with a dropped tine and 14-pointer with a 23-inch spread that have been running around. Maybe next year.
Old December 15, 2022, 11:12 PM   #22
stinkeypete

This is my 12th bird this season, most of the credit should go to my amazing Labrador who finds them, gets them up, and brings them back.
We have 3 public hunting areas within 30 minutes, and if you really want to drive there is another way out, 40 minutes away. Birds are stocked by the Wi. Department of Natural Resources; for some reason Wi. can't support a wild population anymore, but we like to pretend. Being retired, we get out about 3 times a week. (This is the 8th week of the season.)
That's my CZ Huglu 20 gauge Bobwhite G2 that I got used from my neighbor. It's a budget side by side, but there you go- it got a bird. I've been using lots of shotguns this season, depending on the weather and my mood.. and if we really want to get a bird or don't so much care. For a budget gun, I'm growing fond of this Turkish import. It's not a $4,000 gun, so I don't mind falling in the snow with it.

Learning to use the double triggers has been.. humorous. To me, it's not so much about selecting the choke as the mechanical design is so simple and traditional- like an old family double barrel I traded away a few years ago that was not practical for anything as it was a black powder gun.

My dad has passed, but he always said "Guns are for shooting, not sitting in the gun safe", so I know he'd be pleased that we've upgraded the old gun to something we can shoot.