The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 17, 2018, 04:17 PM   #26
Dufus

I have never sold any firearm.

I have given a few away to ones less fortunate.

I have no regrets.
Old October 17, 2018, 05:10 PM   #27
105kw

I found a 218 bee , in a Winchester 43 in the late 80s.
It was a great varmint gun, using it on coyotes on my parents property.
Low report didn't bother the neighbors, but it flattened yotes.
I ended up selling it to a neighbor, who still has it.
Fun gun.
Old October 20, 2018, 08:47 AM   #28
Three44s

Jbotto,

Wow! A bachelor party with no strippers and hopefully no booze but bring out a nice rifle for some judicious trigger time shared with the guests?

(Booze after the trigger time accepted)

That’s impressive!

Three44s
Old October 20, 2018, 09:39 AM   #29
Jim Watson

A Winchester Model 43 Bee kind of floated around town some years ago. I don't know who has it now.
Pro, it was equipped with a good old steel Weaver scope, 6X, I think.
Con, it was customized with about a 4 lpi "checkering" job scored into grip and foreend.
Old October 22, 2018, 12:58 AM   #30
bamaranger

The Bee

The mild .22 centerfires,and the 25-20 to an extent, were popular as fall turkey rifles in PA when I was a kid. They were not uncommon, and they were used on groundhogs as well.

When I finally got some spending money, I went on the hunt for a .22 Hornet, but would have settled for a Bee. As it ended up, I never did own either. An acquaintance up in PA still has two M43's, one of them is a Bee, I think the other may be a Hornet, both very clean.
Old October 22, 2018, 11:37 AM   #31
Sure Shot Mc Gee

As a boy raised in the country. Most farm folks weren't into varmint bushwhacking.

On the other-hand when their was a opportunity to dispatch hole diggers. Those varmints were typically dispatched from a field tractor with a 22 lr spring and summer or a 12 ga. in the Fall.

I do recall one of our neighbors had lever Win's in 218 Bee and a 25-20 both in like new condition and without a doubt grabbed my attention when a guest. As a small gun cabinet was part of their kitchen furniture. As I recalled one or the other were typically grabbed from the cabinet to eliminate night time problem makers in the yard bothering their dog/s. Not having electricity in those days. Only kerosene lighting back then. There was a angst or creepy feeling (for me there was) leaving a warm and safe interior to a exterior not knowing just what was bothering the dogs. Although how highly excited the dogs were gave us some idea what someone might encounter in dim light. Bear wolf/s skunk weasel fox were the typical trespassers. My Father always toted his double barrel 12 on such night time circumstances. Mom held his lamp. Left barrel> 00 Buck. Right barrel > ball slug. So even a lowly weasel trying to poach a chicken got more lead thrown his way then it expected. As things turned out. Following morning. The chickens ate what little of him remaining instead of he eating one of them the night before.

Anyway staying on point. Seen a couple 218s in my time here & there but never had the desire to want one.
Old October 26, 2018, 10:00 PM   #32
340 Weatherby

My 218 is also built on a Martini action with a heavy Douglas barrel. It is a very fun rifle to shoot and any ground squirrel inside 200 yards is in real trouble.
Old October 26, 2018, 10:18 PM   #33
shuvelrider

I'm happy to say I own a M-43 and a M-65 Winnie in .218 Bee, they are very clean and well preserved. They belonged to my dad from his days on an Illinois farm waaaayyyy back, he enjoyed his varmint hunting for crow, hawk, fox, and groundhog. Need to get them out for some range time.
Old October 27, 2018, 12:36 AM   #34
Scorch

Quote:
Most farm folks weren't into varmint bushwhacking.
It's not bushwhacking! It's a fair fight! Just because the varmints want to stand 100 yds off and yell at you doesn't mean a thing!
Old October 28, 2018, 08:01 AM   #35
mxsailor803

I'm not that old (33) and remember the 218Bee well. My grandfather had a love affair with that round. He also introduced me to reloading with that cartridge. I remember he would tell me that was his gator round. Seen him take a couple gators with it out of a Contender.
Old October 29, 2018, 12:19 AM   #36
cpt-t

I bought my Winchester Model 43 in 218 Bee used in 1963, paid $ 40.00 for it and the LGS threw in 2 boxes of shells. It was my first Center Fire Rifle and Varmint Rifle all rolled up into one, It had an Old El Paso Weaver K-6 or K-8 mounter on it. But now wears an Old Denver Redfield 6 X 18. Still shoots as well as it ever did, really likes Hornady 35gr V-Max bullets. I got started reloading for it from the get go all most, long story on that tho. I have shot 1000`s of rounds and killed a Boxcar load of about any type of varmints you can think of with this rifle. And I know I have at least carried my 218 Bee a 100 miles or more. I have a bunch of great stories and a lot of good times made caring this little rifle. She is to me like a Trusted Old Friend, probably my favorite rifle.
ken
Old November 2, 2018, 07:07 AM   #37
BeeShooter

RCBS 58022 die - .32-20 win to .218bee - fyi. I never knew why the Bee never caught on it's a great shooter. Back in the 50s and 60s almost every working man had a Hornet for deer and turkey. Availability and price was probably the reason. I shot the Bee because that's what was available to me at the time. I've killed a lot of deer and turkey with that gun. I recently bought a savage hornet. Cute lil' gun and a blast to reload and shoot inside a .5 at 100. That's about what the Bee did. I glad to see that at least one of the little cartridges made it to the 21st. Century.
Old November 3, 2018, 11:19 PM   #38
Dano4734

Loved the hornet also just miss those little guns
Old November 4, 2018, 05:48 PM   #39
the Black Spot

I seriously thought of converting a hornet to the improved bee
Old November 13, 2018, 01:31 PM   #40
BeeShooter

The Black spot - I'm not sure what an improved bee is. I do think you can spin the bolt face out on a mod m25 savage 22 hornet to fit a 218. The mags will have to be milled out but you have to probably rework the mags to get your hand-loaded hornets to work well anyway. I had to. The barrel wouldn't be much of a problem.
Old November 13, 2018, 02:21 PM   #41
aarondhgraham

So, the real question for me is,,,
Does anyone make new ammo for the .218 Bee?

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old November 13, 2018, 05:23 PM   #42
Scorch

Quote:
Does anyone make new ammo for the .218 Bee?
Hornady just introduced a 218 Bee load with 45 gr HP last year.
Winchester loads 45 gr HP for it "seasonally" (whatever that means).
HSM loads for it with 45 gr VMax.
Quote:
I'm not sure what an improved bee is
An Improved cartridge has the shoulder blown out to increase case capacity and velocity. The 218 Mashburn Bee, for example, has a shorter neck, the shoulder is blown forward and shoulder angle is sharper. Performance approaches 222 Remington. There are other improved Bees, just google it.

Last edited by Scorch; November 13, 2018 at 05:30 PM.
Old November 14, 2018, 01:11 AM   #43
Cosmodragoon

We had a lever gun chambered for it on the farm growing up. As a kid, my dad told me that this particular rifle was magic and that it was made to kill woodchucks. As a grownup, I know better... even if it did seem uncannily good at killing woodchucks.
Old November 14, 2018, 02:13 PM   #44
the Black Spot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeShooter View Post
The Black spot - I'm not sure what an improved bee is. I do think you can spin the bolt face out on a mod m25 savage 22 hornet to fit a 218. The mags will have to be milled out but you have to probably rework the mags to get your hand-loaded hornets to work well anyway. I had to. The barrel wouldn't be much of a problem.
I think its a mashburn bee. I'd still like to have one someday in either version
Old December 1, 2018, 04:57 PM   #45
Red-5

Sorry to bring this thread up top, but saw this on GB. Is it that rare that is would command this kind of bidding?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/791919300
Old December 1, 2018, 06:15 PM   #46
105kw

There were 1500 built in 1989. According to Blue Book they sold out by 1990.
Cool rifle, but you're going to be limited to iron sights. I can't remember if they were tapped for receiver or Tang sights.
IMO, that's about twice what it's wotrth

Last edited by 105kw; December 2, 2018 at 05:20 AM.