The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old January 8, 2016, 07:54 PM   #1
Chainsaw.

Stupid question time with Chainsaw.

Can I use my AAC pilot2 to suppress subsonic 223? Is it still to much gas and pressure for a 22lr can? A 223 can is on the list but I dont have the cash atm andoobviously theres the six month wait thing.
Old January 8, 2016, 08:31 PM   #2
Theohazard

That's actually a good question. From a pressure standpoint it might be fine, considering subsonic .223 isn't that much more powerful than a .22 LR. But the Pilot 2 has aluminum baffles and -- if I recall correctly -- isn't rated for anything more powerful than .22 LR, so it might be pushing it. I'd also be worried about bullet stability with the long, subsonic .223 ammo, but that's an issue no matter what kind of silencer you're using. Ask AAC, they can tell you if it's safe and -- more importantly -- if it's covered under warranty if you shoot subsonic. 223 through it and something goes wrong.

But I have to ask, "why"? It won't cycle the action on a semi-auto and it's barely more powerful than a .22 LR. Almost nobody uses subsonic .223; everyone I know who uses a silencer on a .223 rifle uses supersonic ammo, including myself. Just shoot .22; it will have pretty much the same ballistics, but it will actually cycle the action and will be a LOT cheaper.

In over three years working at gun shops I've never had anyone ask for subsonic .223 ammo who was actually serious about it and knew its downsides.
Old January 8, 2016, 08:38 PM   #3
Sharkbite

Call AAC.

Ive called a few suppressor manufactures about whats ok to shoot thru my cans.

Thst said im betting they will say No. Not because subs are a problem, but because of the potential of slipping a full house 223 into the mix.

That would ruin the can and might ruin you
Old January 9, 2016, 12:19 AM   #4
Chainsaw.

Thanks for the response guys.

As to the why, one simple use. A coyote. Ive been after this sob for months, I need something quiet so as not to irritate the neighbors but was hoping to slinga heavier round than a 40 grain 22lr. I was thinking I vould load up a hand full of 69gn subsonics.

Shark bite. I thought of that too but I wouldn't make a habit of this practice especially being a real 223 can is on the list, but it still bore the question. Twouldbe a quick way to ruin a suppressor.
Old January 9, 2016, 05:25 AM   #5
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw
As to the why, one simple use. A coyote. Ive been after this sob for months, I need something quiet so as not to [tick] off the neighbors but was hoping to slinga heavier round than a 40 grain 22lr. I was thinking I vould load up a hand full of 69gn subsonics.
But the 69 grain subsonics won't cycle your action, so you'll have just one shot. I don't know much about hunting coyotes, but I would think that the ability to shoot multiple follow-up shots with a 40 grain .22 LR would beat out a single shot at the same velocity with a 69 grain bullet.
Old January 9, 2016, 12:26 PM   #6
Chainsaw.

You are not wrong for sure. But in my situations you pretty much get one shotvat this coyote before he bolts, and about a second before he is obscured. My thinking is one heavier shot to smack him good. This is pretty much scenario playing in my head obviously. If I had my 300bo build done and suppressed it'd be a not issue
Old January 9, 2016, 01:09 PM   #7
TMD

Aguila makes 60 grain subsonic .22LR ammo. I would try this over a subsonic .223. Also I own a Pilot II and was thinking of running it wet just to see if it makes any difference or not. Well after searching high and low on the internet I couldn't find anything so I called AAC and asked them. The answer was a profound NO. The reasoning is the Pilot II's body and baffles are aluminum other than the first baffle. Adding water would lower the volume of air in the can and could increase the pressure enough to swell the tube. Needless to say I haven't tried it yet, not worth the risk.
Old January 9, 2016, 03:52 PM   #8
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw.
You are not wrong for sure. But in my situations you pretty much get one shotvat this coyote before he bolts, and about a second before he is obscured.
Well I guess one shot from a subsonic .223 would beat one shot from a .22 LR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMD
Aguila makes 60 grain subsonic .22LR ammo. I would try this over a subsonic .223.
Be careful, because most .22s don't have a rifling twist fast enough to stabilize that 90 grain Aguila bullet. If you shoot that load out of a normal .22 with a 1:16 rifling twist, you'll have bullet stability issues and there's a good chance you'll get baffle strikes when using a silencer.
Old January 11, 2016, 09:31 AM   #9
gyvel

Borrow a buddy's Winchester 67, then use standard velocity .22lr. I think you'll find it is just about as quiet as your cans can do.
SIFE