The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 17, 2018, 09:27 PM   #1
Bill Daniel

Best scope for 22 rifle under $100

Opinions on best scope for a Ruger 10/22 under $100.00. Goal of plinking maybe squirrels. Considerations on clarity, fixed or variable, reputation, durability etc.
Thanks,
Bill

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." Theodore Roosevelt 1903
Old November 17, 2018, 09:51 PM   #2
CalmerThanYou

The Primary Arms 6x ACSS 22LR is a nice little scope for the $ $119.99
Old November 17, 2018, 10:27 PM   #3
Hawg

I bought a Chinese Bushnell fixed 4 X in a blister pack from Walmart about six years ago for 25.00 and it's still going strong.
Old November 17, 2018, 11:17 PM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I don't know if you can squeak it in under $100 but I just bought a 4-12x Nikon Prostaff Rimfire II for about $140... the 3-9x version can be had for a tad over $100 on Amazon.

It's by far the most that I've ever spent on a .22 scope... it's also only the second .22 scope I've ever bought.... the first one was about $35 and was a Simmons that came from Wal*Mart in the early 90s.

I shot the hell out of woodchucks, chipmunks, squirrels, crows.... for near on 25 years with that scope....

My point is, a .22 just isn't that tough on a scope and being that you're realistically limited to way under 100 yards for most purposes and closer to 30-50 tops for the vast majority of hunting purposes... just about any scope will do just fine.

You can probably find a Bushnell Rimfire 3 in that $100 area. I'm sure it's satisfactory as well. (On Amazon, 95% of reviewers give it 4 or 5 stars with a FakeSpot review grade of A)
Old November 18, 2018, 04:57 AM   #5
ms6852

I hear that the centerpoint scopes sold at Walmart are not that bad at all. I looked through one at another store and for $79.00 it was not that bad. For your goals this would be suitable.
Old November 18, 2018, 06:50 AM   #6
jpx2rk

I have a Nikon Prostaff Rimfire, pretty good scope but the recticle is a bit busy with the DBC markings, look thru one before you buy. I think I can/will get accustomed to it but only time will tell.
Old November 18, 2018, 12:31 PM   #7
Pahoo

Good choice

Quote:
I hear that the centerpoint scopes sold at Walmart are not that bad at all. I looked through one at another store and for $79.00 it was not that bad. For your goals this would be suitable.
These "should" exceed, your expectations for your service. Also look into the "Sniper" series …..

Be Safe !!!
Old November 18, 2018, 05:46 PM   #8
jmhyer

I've had this one for several years and it's been great.

https://www.amazon.com/Simmons-51103...s+22+mag+scope
Old November 18, 2018, 06:01 PM   #9
std7mag

Your gonna laugh.....

Davey Cricket 4 power scope.
Yup, same scope on the kids Cricket and Keystone rifles.
For a $40 scope, has really decent glass. And BDC for some longer shots.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old November 19, 2018, 05:19 AM   #10
BigBL87

If you can bump slightly up to $120 or so, I highly recommend the Bushnell AR Optics 2-7x32. Darn good for the price, it is a little on the heavy side though. I have one on my Marlin 795.

https://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Zone.../dp/B00ABP4KNM

This 3-9 from Primary Arms is a good deal, with their sale right now it's even better.

https://www.primaryarms.com/pa3-9x44sfp

On the much cheaper side, I've heard good things about the BSA Sweet 22 and UTG Bugbuster, but no personal experience and the brands don't have amazing reputations.

https://www.amazon.com/BSA-Sweet-3-9.../dp/B000NJUPAS

https://www.amazon.com/Leapers-UTG-B...ugbuster&psc=1

My favorite, the Mueller APV 4.5-14x40, is also a little above your budget but I'd feel remiss not to mention it. It combined with my Savage Mark II FV have been capable of .6 MOA accuracy.

https://www.amazon.com/Mueller-Rifle.../dp/B000SULCTA

They do also make a 2-7x32 version now, and it actually falls under $100.

https://www.amazon.com/Mueller-2-7x3...NQL&ref=plSrch

Last edited by BigBL87; November 19, 2018 at 05:28 AM.
Old November 19, 2018, 07:47 AM   #11
Targa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhyer View Post
I've had this one for several years and it's been great.

https://www.amazon.com/Simmons-51103...s+22+mag+scope
X2....the only negative I can say about the Simmons is that the scope rings that come with it need to be replaced. I went with these...https://www.amazon.com/Leapers-Accus.../dp/B001BR4TJY
Old November 19, 2018, 09:11 AM   #12
Hawg

Quote:
On the much cheaper side, I've heard good things about the BSA Sweet 22 and UTG Bugbuster, but no personal experience and the brands don't have amazing reputations.
Dunno about the BSA 22 scopes but I've got a BSA target scope and it's about as clear as a mud fence.
Old November 19, 2018, 11:05 AM   #13
Pahoo

My last, recommend

Quote:
Dunno about the BSA 22 scopes but I've got a BSA target scope and it's about as clear as a mud fence.
I've never seen a mud fence but do have limited experience with BSA. I say limited because I gave up on them after a couple of encounters, long ago. Perhaps they are better now? …..

Be Safe !!!
Old November 19, 2018, 02:07 PM   #14
zukiphile

I've a BSA 2.5 shotgun scope that is very clear and has a fine enough reticle that a 2moa circle will show some white in each quadrant at 50 yards.

One of the best 22lr scopes I've used is an air-rifle scope. Parallax can be rough at modest distances and an adjustable objective can help quite a bit. I bought an air-rifle Bushnell 3-9x40 from Natchez in the early 1990s. It's so old that it is a glossy black that no one seems to put on a scope any longer. I think it was $80 or $90 back then.
Old November 19, 2018, 10:02 PM   #15
BigBL87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
Ya, like I said no personal experience with BSA, but I've heard/read good things specifically about the Sweet 22 and Sweet 17 scopes. I don't imagine they'd be something to get for any kind of serious work, but if what I've read is true they probably would work as a beat around, plinking scope. That being said, I'd go with the Muellers or Primary Arms scopes I listed any day over them.
Old November 20, 2018, 09:59 AM   #16
pblanc

If you want to shoot at short ranges, a scope with side parallax adjustment or an adjustable objective is worthwhile. Most rimfire scopes without parallax adjustment are set to be parallax-free at 50 yards. If you shoot at or inside of 25 yards, you can have significant parallax error.

I have had good luck with my Hawke Sport Optics 3-9x40 Vantage with AO. It costs just over $100 ($109.99 on Amazon). This is one of the less expensive scopes with an adjustable objective and it has good eye relief.

Depending on how you want to shoot your rifle, unless you have a very short scope you may need either and extended accessory rail, a cantilever one-piece scope mount, or a set of rings with at least one extension ring in order to get the ocular of the scope far enough forward. This likely won't be an issue if you only shoot standing or off a bench, but if you shoot prone your eye will be farther forward. I use the stock Ruger 3/8" dovetail/Weaver rail on my 10/22 and mount the scope with a set of Weaver Quad-Lock extension rings, which comes with one straight up ring and one extension ring. I have bought this ring set on ebay for about $15 and it has worked very well.
Old November 21, 2018, 03:33 PM   #17
BWM

Simmons or BSA or Bushnell any of these three will do a good job
Old November 22, 2018, 03:57 PM   #18
Bill Daniel

Best scope for 22 rifle under $100

Thanks to all for y’alls advice. I had a Leupold VX2 3x9 on an air rifle that I moved to the 10/22 and will replace the air rifle scope with the one that came with it.
Thanks for the advice
Bill

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." Theodore Roosevelt 1903