The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 9, 2012, 10:33 AM   #26
22-rimfire

Same ammo-same load. I believe Walmart probably went to separate packaging in order that they don't have to price match with Champions (510's) sold at other stores. In addition, this kind of thing is was very common years ago with many stores like Sears, Montgomery Wards and so forth with their own branding.
Old November 11, 2012, 01:23 PM   #27
berettaprofessor

Just looked at my own ammo stash and can't see a difference between the two when looking at the bullets. The boxes, though have a little different velocity and muzzle energy...the Champion being slightly more energetic. So is it possible they're loaded slightly different?
Old November 13, 2012, 10:25 PM   #28
Nine the Ranger

I was at Wally World not to long ago and saw Federal .22 in a similar box, only it was white-ish and said 'Ideal for Semi-Autos' is there anything different about this and those?
Old November 13, 2012, 10:45 PM   #29
carguychris

Quote:
I was at Wally World not to long ago and saw Federal .22 in a similar box, only it was white-ish and said 'Ideal for Semi-Autos'...
If the box had a black band with a target symbol on it, it was Federal Auto Match. This ammo uses 40gr unplated lead bullets rather than 36gr plated bullets like the Value Pack or Champion, and it's usually a cut above in terms of accuracy, although it's slightly more expensive per round; the boxes contain 325 rounds rather than 550.

FWIW Auto Match is one of my favorite types of .22LR plinking ammo, and I recommend stocking up when a local Wal-Mart has it, because it tends to disappear for extended periods in my area!
Old November 14, 2012, 05:54 AM   #30
Redhawk5.5+P+

WHAT?