The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old October 22, 2008, 07:19 AM   #1
vito

Is it really worth $400 for a helmet?

For years I bought Shoei helmets and was always pleased with them. But last year I bought an HJC modular at under $200, about half of what I would have paid for a new Shoei, and I found little or no difference with the comfort, noise reduction, workmanship, etc. as compared to the Shoeis that I had used in the past. It made me wonder how much of the helmet business is just hype, and how much is meaningful. I recently looked at an Arai, but at over $500 I just couldn't get myself to consider it. I'm not into graphics and fancy paint jobs. I just want a quality helmet to keep my head safe in case of a crash and to be comfortable, quiet, and easy to use.
Old October 22, 2008, 07:25 AM   #2
alloy

shoei on this end.

pay attention to updated snell standards, and some manufacturers ways around them. also outdated versions.

simpson, like the bandit series might be another brand worth looking at...but the shoeis have washable liners/inners, face shield accessories like a chin windshield that snaps in and one for over your nose bridge etc, and a helmet like a z-two will have parts available for many years. like everything else, trying to get what you pay for requires knowledge and shopping.

but i dont see the firearm tie-in. except that none of them are bulletproof.
Old October 22, 2008, 07:30 AM   #3
Mousegunzzz

Some motorcycle forum, somewhere, is going to get a firearms post but I bet most of the readers will be able to give an answer.

By the by, the HJC is rated by DOT and SNEll just the same as the Shoei and Aria. My HJC is perfect and much cheaper .

OTOH my Kel Tec is cheaper but not near the quality as some of its competition.
Old October 22, 2008, 07:49 AM   #4
bedlamite

You will find brand snobs in the motorcycle world too. HJC and Scorpion offer a good product without a high price. The important things are a snug fit, Snell rating and check here to see if it actually passed DOT tests. A Helmet can have a DOT sticker and not actually pass, as the DOT operates on the honor system.
Old October 22, 2008, 08:06 AM   #5
Bud Helms

Holy smoke. We have a "Guns and Motorcycles" thread, but that doesn't mean we are a motorcycle forum.

Read the forum descriptions. This is off topic.

This thread is closed.
Closed Thread