The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 9, 2009, 09:34 PM   #1
Thameris

Tobin Arms

I have come across an old Tobin arms shotgun. The number is only 4 digits. I was under the impression that numberswere higher than that.
Old December 9, 2009, 11:39 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Quite often these were not serial numbers but assembly numbers to keep fitted parts together during manufacture.

Harley's masterwork tells me these haven't been made since 1923.

As with all older shotguns, a trip to a good smith is essential before any ammo is fired.
Old December 10, 2009, 12:59 AM   #3
PetahW

Tobin Arms manufactured seven grades of shotguns in Norwich CT and eight grades in Woodstock, Ontario, Canada from 1910 through 1916.
(Frank Major Tobin lost interest in making the guns after a large shipment of walnut was lost in shipment from Europe during WW I )

Although a "four-digit" SN range can cover nine thousand guns anywhere from #1,000 to #9999, depending upon how high/low the SN of your gun falls, you might just have an earlier example.

Is your shotgun Connecticut or Canadian marked ?