The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 14, 2000, 12:29 PM   #1
Jeffly

I have not yet ordered my second pistol or holster, so I am looking for opinions on which barrel length was easier to use with a crossdraw. My first pistol is 5.5 length I was wondering if it was easier to use a shorter pistol for the crossdraw or should I keep them the same length. Thanks for your input. Jeff
Old March 14, 2000, 01:57 PM   #2
Gunslinger

Personaly I prefer the shorter barrels (4.75") in a convential (Butt read, strong side) draw holster and do not care for the longer barrels from those. However for a cross draw, which I seldom use, the longer barrles seem to work better for me at least. I find that I have a tendency to swing past my target when drawing a short barreled revolver from a cross draw.
I think it really depends a great deal on the holster style/design and personal taste. Unfortunately this is one of those areas where it would be difficult to experiment with different holster/barrel lengths to deside what best suits you.

------------------
Gunslinger

We live in a time in which attitudes and deeds once respected as courageous and honorable are now scorned as being antiquated and subversive.
Old March 14, 2000, 03:32 PM   #3
Bill Mitchell
Staff Alumnus

Howdy Jeffly,

Like ol' Gunslinger said,if you're going to go with a longer barreled pistol,put it in your crossdraw. I shoot a 5.5" pistol and a 7.5" pistol,and carry my longer gun in a crossdraw. It's easier to pull a short pistol from a conventional holster.

Bellicose Bill
Old March 14, 2000, 03:39 PM   #4
Ned Roundtree

Ditto, what the others have said. There are three sets of cowboy revolvers in my family. Two 7 1/2" Colts, two 5 1/2" Ruger Vaqueros, and two 3 1/2" Cimarron Lightnings. We (me, wife and her sis) generally shoot them as pairs. But if I were to mix them, I would put whatever the longer barrel gun was in the crossdraw holster.
Old March 14, 2000, 06:53 PM   #5
Jeffly

Thanks for the inpuut. I looked at a catalog from Kirkpatrick. Two caught my eye the Laredoan and the westerner the westerner looked like it hung lower. Is it hard to keep a low hanging holster up when your middle age gut is larger than your waist? Any one used either of these holsters? And if I went with a double rig is it hard to use 5.5 inch barrels in them? Thanks again Jeff
Old March 14, 2000, 07:43 PM   #6
Gunslinger

I'll chime in here again. I haven't personaly tried either you mentioned. But for me at least a low slung cross draw holster is a pain to get to. I like my convential draw holsters a litte low but with a cross draw I feel like I have to bend over to get to it.
Anyone seen that rig the kid playing Hickcock on The Young Riders wears? How does he get to that thing?

Just two cents worth from ol' Gunslinger. ol'! humphhh

------------------
Gunslinger

We live in a time in which attitudes and deeds once respected as courageous and honorable are now scorned as being antiquated and subversive.

[This message has been edited by Gunslinger (edited March 14, 2000).]