The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 23, 2013, 10:26 PM   #1
Kalamity Kate

What do women carry?

I would like to know what handguns and holsters other women carry/wear. We have a different set of wardrobe problems than men and it is difficult to conceal a weapon on our bodies expecially with lightweight clothing required for summer (and for most of the year where I live). I have successfully concealed a compact revolver with a black waistband holster while wearing a black tank top, black slacks with a black overblouse but the Johnny Cash "woman in black" look is not something I want as a signature look and besides the Glock won't fit that way.

I have two handguns- a Glock 27 pistol and a S&W 642 revolver but neither one is very concealable or comfortable to wear. Waistband holsters are awkward, belly bands are uncomfortable and hot. Ankle holsters are awkward to reach and chafe badly and the revolver is really too heavy for one. Besides, long pants are way too hot to wear for any season but winter here. A purse poses its own set of problems while concealing better than lightweight clothing.

So... What do other women carry and how do they carry it?
Old February 24, 2013, 12:26 AM   #2
TheSmilingSwordsman

My wife carries her Bersa Thunder 380 in her purse. It has pockets designated for concealed carry. She plans to eventually carry a Ruger LCP but is not sure how she plans to carry it yet, she just started carrying in July.
Old February 24, 2013, 12:54 AM   #3
michael t

Mine has a KelTec P-32 carries tucked center in her Bra .
Old February 24, 2013, 12:59 AM   #4
BarryLee

If you haven’t already check out the WEB site below and see if it helps any.

http://www.corneredcat.com/
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old February 24, 2013, 01:00 AM   #5
pax

I've carried a Glock 26 for the past 13 years, most often in a tuckable appendix carried holster with a single belt attachment and a straight drop.

After I lost a bunch of weight a couple of years ago, I could finally carry behind the hip, but I find appendix much more concealable and comfortable.

At my son's wedding, I carried a P3AT under the bra strap in a handmade holster, just under my arm, while wearing a sheath dress. It worked really well, and thus I have fallen in love with the Marilyn holster (from Flashbang / Looper Leather) because it puts the gun in the same spot, with a well-protected trigger and a simpler draw.

Lots of other ways to do it.

pax
Old February 24, 2013, 01:07 AM   #6
chrissy0022

I have a P22... Just bought a HK P2000 and ordered a Glock 26 not sure how i am going to carry it yet probably inside my purse since i work EMS... but do not know yet...
Old February 24, 2013, 02:28 AM   #7
DATL

I purchased my wife, sister, and mother SS .38's far carry. However, they seem to keep them in their cars mostly sometimes in their purses. I tried... Usually my wife just leaves carrying to me because you couldn't hardly fit an extra credit card in the dresses she wears lol (she is 26... I'm 30).

We can carry on the job- one of the women I work with carry an ankle holster, another in the purse, another with those belly band kinda things. I go IWB.

I too am curious to see what some of the other responses are so that I can explore options for my aforementioned ladies.
Old February 24, 2013, 05:44 AM   #8
ClydeFrog

Hi KK...

Women do have a few problems re; weapon concealment, retention(security), etc.
My main advice is to always carry on your person. Many forum members or firearm tactics instructors may advise you use a purse or bag but that can be stolen or you could be at a loss in a high stress critical incident.
There are new holsters & carry methods that provide a few choices for J frame revolvers or semi-auto compact pistols like a model 27 .40S&W pistol.
Check these sites; www.mitchrosen.com www.usgalco.com www.safariland.com www.bianchi-intl.com www.gunvideo.com www.highnoonholsters.com www.donhume.com www.galls.com www.policehq.com www.5.11tactical.com .
Lenny Magill markets a few under-shirt/t-shirt styles that fit women & the site has a few bike shorts/garments with pockets for gear/small firearms.
I'd carry at least 1 reload or spare magazine too. Remember the old LE/US armed forces saying; 2 is 1 and 1 is none.
With J frame snub revolvers many gun owners & armed professionals(male & female) use Tuff Product Quik Strips or the old stand-by; the Bianchi Speed Strip. 2 strips of .38spl +P or .357magnum can fit snug in a Aloids tin.
A laser-aimer or CT lasergrip isn't a bad add-on either; www.Lasermax.com www.crimsontrace.com .
As posted, dark colors, thick fabrics, and patterns-designs conceal better but due to weather or lifestyle, dress may be a issue.
I read a article years back where a gun writer compared concealing weapons to a illusionist, using colors & dress styles to avert a viewer's eyes or to be discreet.

If you can, buy a full length mirror or give your concealed carry method a quick check before you go anywhere.
ClydeFrog
Old February 24, 2013, 06:38 AM   #9
CurlyQ.Howard

ClydeFrog, Thanks for the links. Some interesting stuff to be found there.
Old February 24, 2013, 07:20 AM   #10
CajunBass

My wife doesn't carry anymore, but when she did, she carried a Glock 19, in a dedicated carry purse ("Pistol Packing Mama" is the brand name I beleive). She tried other systems, but always came back to the purse and situational awareness.

(Which is why she doesn't carry anymore. A brain injury has affected her memory and she's afraid she'll set her purse down and forget it, so she doesn't carry anything important in it.)
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old February 24, 2013, 08:52 AM   #11
Deja vu

Sig P238.

Crossbreed IWB at about 5 o'clock.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old February 24, 2013, 03:27 PM   #12
RBid

My GF's set up:

- Ruger LCP, AIWB in a DeSantis Sof Tuck
- mace in a jacket pocket (strong side)
- hand held tac light in support side jacket pocket

She doesn't have her CHL squared away, yet. She's carrying at home, and unloaded in public to build habit and comfort in the interim.
Old February 24, 2013, 03:56 PM   #13
9mm

I can carry a Glock 19 or 26/27 and S&W 642 as bug, I recommend throwing the Glock in the purse and carrying the 642.
Old February 24, 2013, 04:37 PM   #14
pax

Oh, also. Someone up thread recommended my website, www.corneredcat.com. (thanks!)

Probably your best bet for a good overview of your options is This article: How Do I Hide This Thing?

Then run your eye down the rest of the "holsters" chapter.

Hope this helps.

pax
Old February 24, 2013, 08:25 PM   #15
Kalamity Kate

Thanks, Pax. It does help. I read some of your articles this morning before running off to work. I have the belly band- doesn't work for me. Feels like a corset and in a month it will be too hot to wear until next November. I got the strap that suspends a small holster (for the 642) from the center of the bra but it looks like a big lump so I don't wear it. A holster under the arm and bra strap sounds promising. I haven't yet had a chance to check out all the links that were provided.

I asked what other women carried because I was considering selling the Glock 27 and getting a shorter and less lumpy 9mm pistol to replace it for easier carry and concealment. The handguns carried seem to be as varied as the number of women. There don't seem to be any common favorites.

Thanks for the responses and all the links, folks.
Kate
Old February 24, 2013, 10:37 PM   #16
ClydeFrog

sub compact 9x19mm size firearms...

New safe 9x19mm(9mm Luger) semi auto models have sprung up over the last 4/5 years. Check into these popular styles; the SIG Sauer P290RS the Beretta Nano, the S-A EMP, the Kimber Solo, the M&P Shield, the Walther PPS.
www.gunsamerica.com

ClydeFrog
Old February 24, 2013, 11:34 PM   #17
j357

I understand a very limited number of the issues a woman has to deal with in carrying (my lack of knowledge, not a slight). What I can offer is that what you see as printing or a tell may be a result of many new CCW or LE's over reaction about a 'print'.

Your 642 should be good in a tight OWB holster with a good belt, carried at the 230 or 330 position. If it doesnt dont work there, try a cross draw on the off side. I have no experience with the G27.

Work with two layers of tops. A soft smooth undergarment is a must between you and the weapon, with a medium weight cover garment.
Keep in mind that most of the public would not notice if you carried a bread box on your right hip.

I frequently carry a full size 1911 in a Hume speed scabbard OWB that hangs an inch below my shirt or jacket. No one notices more than me.
Old February 24, 2013, 11:45 PM   #18
ClydeFrog

Printing, carry...

Gun printing is a pet peeve. It shows a lack of skillcraft with armed professionals & it's easy to correct with CC license or permit holders.
That is why I suggested the full length mirror.
I've seen PIs, EP agents(bodyguards), sworn LE, federal agents and others carry firearms that were not fully concealed.

CF
Old February 25, 2013, 02:31 AM   #19
Jkady

My buddy's girl carries an officer sized 1911 in 9mm in an IWB holster. The brand of holster escapes me at the moment but I believe it's a BladeTech. I didn't know she carried at all till she came out for some range time with us once. Good holster goes a long way for concealment.
Old February 25, 2013, 08:20 AM   #20
Kalamity Kate

Thanks for the list, Clydefrog. I have been checking the Berretta Nano online since getting the Beretta Neos for target practice last week. I like it so much that I am starting to look at other Berettas. Have to check out the gun shops to see what is available on the shelves and will look for the others on the list, as well.

I do have a full length mirror but it didn't take that to see the big lump with the bra strap holster. LOL, it looked like I grew a third! That draws the eye. Talk about printing! It might work with a slimmer handgun than the 642 revolver.
Old February 25, 2013, 08:37 AM   #21
ClydeFrog

The 3x3x3 Rule...

Keep in mind too, what I call the 3x3x3 Rule; the concept that most armed conflicts or lethal force incidents will be: 3 rounds at approx 3 feet in approx 3 seconds.
Many women(including armed professionals) never have a use of force incident.

I read a interesting article about a female NYPD 1st Grade Det(Homicide; Manhattan South). She had nearly thirty years on the job with a good service record. The detective NEVER fired her sidearm in the line of duty or had a lethal force event.
Old February 25, 2013, 09:22 PM   #22
redhologram

I carry my compact 9mm in a crossbreed IWB at roughly 5 o'clock.
Old February 26, 2013, 11:06 AM   #23
pax

Well, I've never had a problem with the Glock 26, but when I tried to move to the G19 a few years back, I found that it limited my options just a little too much.

A flatter gun is a little easier to hide, but for me the loss of shooting comfort would not be worth the trade off. I'm not going to carry something I don't shoot regularly and well -- and I'm not going to shoot something regularly if it hurts my hand. It's a confidence thing: the gun that I carry is an extension of my hand, feels good there, and I can hit what I aim at with it.

Not to get too personal, but how do you usually dress?

And what's your basic body type: ectomorph, athletic, mesomorph, endomorph?

pax
Old February 26, 2013, 12:24 PM   #24
wooly booger

my middle daughter is 27, 5'2" and 110. She carries a Glock 23 or 27. The 23 is usually in a dedicated handbag. The 27 is usually in a IWB holster or cargo pocket.

KK, my daughter is also in the panhandle. FL weather is a real issue for concealed carry, even for men. If you want a thinner profile 9, look at the Ruger LC9 or S&W Shield. Many clothing situations restrict the type of carry to a handbag of some sort. While not fashionable, I use a Maxpedition VersaPak a lot. Galco and others make bags with dedicated pockets.

Last edited by wooly booger; February 26, 2013 at 12:30 PM.
Old February 26, 2013, 12:39 PM   #25
tipoc

There are actually quite a number of useful videos (of greater and lesser usefulness) on this subject over to YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogGBPVk5GQk

They may be of some help.

tipoc